Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-11-14, 12:06 PM   #511
laurienicol

Default TVGOS or not TVGOS

Laurie in Ladner BC with a CM4228 and now a CM7000PAL

I just got the CM7000PAL and the guide on it seems great except for the missing Canadian information (about half of the stations).
Till September, I used the TV as a tuner and it had the analog TVGOS built in.
I have the G Link cable and I was wondering if there is any point in trying to get the TVGOS back as the Panasonic TVGOS is analog. But it did give me Guide information for all the stations until the switchover.
I am now favoring the tuner on the CM7000PAL as it is slightly more sensitive than the one built into the TV.
It doesn't seem to make sense to me that the CM7000PAL could populate the analog TVGOS on the TV and still use it as the guide for the DVR.
laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-14, 03:24 PM   #512
Steve Smart

Default TVGOS or not TVGOS

Laurie:

You can only use the CM7000PAL to get TVGOS to one device at a time. Once placed into the state which passes along TVGOS to the analog device, the CM7000 no longer works as usual - there are no TV listings to populate (and no ability to record shows or view previous recordings).

The only way to get listings on both devices is to keep switching the CM7000 in and out of regular mode. I set mine to TVGOS mode during the day to populate the analog listings (on your TV), and then back to regular mode at night for regular viewing and recording (which also allows the CM7000 to get its own TVGOS listings).

It's a pain and not convenient at all, but it does work and the analog TVGOS listings are much more complete than the CM7000's.
Old 2011-11-19, 04:24 PM   #513
ReallyOldGuy
Rookie

Default Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR

Where I live we reveive OTA digital signats by way of being rebroadcast. I recently returned a Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR as it would recognize only the promary channels ( 32-1, 34-1, 36-1, etc ) but not the secondary or sub channels ( 32-2, 32-3, 34-2, 34-3, etc. )
I could not get any help from Save and Replay or Channel Master, which is a shame as it was a nice unit. And I could not access an EPG, I suspect due to the signals being rebroadcast.
And yes, NormLyon, I also had that "AUDIO SERVICE" thing, and it was on those sub channels.
I am still searching for a solution, but not having much luck. FYI
Old 2011-11-19, 11:34 PM   #514
Jase88

ReallyOldGuy: Which city/town are you located near? That's an odd issue that I've not heard of as yet.

You may wish to consider a Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC), as discussed here. HTPC's can link with online EPG services to populate your guide. Or, if you're more interested in a standalone DVR, check out the Tivo.

The latest DVR from Channel Master, the 7400, apparently has the ability to work with a subscription-based EPG from Channel Master. Though I'm not certain if this will work in Canada or not. CM's support for the Canadian market is--unfortunately--lacking. The 7400 is available soon, if not already.
Old 2011-12-14, 08:00 PM   #515
Jase88

Default Channel Master TV & CM7400 DVR review by Engadget

Engadget has posted a review of the CM 7400 here, for anyone interested.

They don't seem to be impressed with the quality of the hardware, the VUDU integration, or the lack of other available streaming services. They go on to say that it has "potential to be the right fit". Much like many of us feel about the current DVR, the CM7000-PAL.

One note caught my attention: It seems that without a $50 (US) annual subscription for the Channel Master TV guide service, your only access to guide info is via PSIP. Looks like there may not be any TVGOS access with this DVR?
Old 2011-12-15, 10:49 AM   #516
Schmerpy

"Potential" ?

Expecting firmware updates to improve Channel Master products in the future is like betting your life savings on a pipe dream.
Old 2011-12-15, 07:57 PM   #517
Jase88

Yes, my thoughts as well: Without ongoing firmware support/releases, this product will never reach it's potential. Just like the 7000.

I should also mention--for those considering this device (it's currently available on pre-order)--that VUDU won't work with a Canadian address/account. Same goes for CM TV.
Old 2011-12-20, 12:26 PM   #518
Pro gunner

Default CM 7400

Well that review surely put a damper on my expectations.

I guess the search for a decent OTA DVR continues. Sure wish Sony would have jumped on this with their PS3.
Old 2012-01-06, 05:00 PM   #519
brownriggd

Default CM7000PAL Frame Skip Problem...

I've noticed hiccups in recorded programs where the image jumps 2 to 3 seconds ahead. It happens randomly and only occasionally. Is this a hard drive problem?
Old 2012-01-06, 05:38 PM   #520
Jase88

The CM7000 stops recording when there's no signal present. It could be that the channel reception itself was intermittent, and thus you're getting the skipping.

I sometimes notice skipping or clipping audio when the channel has presented dropouts.
Old 2012-01-07, 10:00 AM   #521
brownriggd

Thanks Jase88. I do have intermittent signal issues...
Old 2012-01-11, 04:15 PM   #522
Jase88

ReallyOldGuy, see post #515 for a link to the CM7400 review by Engadget.
Old 2012-02-01, 12:49 PM   #523
interdit_450

Question "Jailbreak" a CM7000 DVR?

Hey guys, this may be a reach but bear with me:

does anyone know of any attempts to "jailbreak" (i.e. hack) the SW of the Channel Master 7000 DVR?

Seeing as CM is quite uninterested in providing updates or support to its Canadian customers, it would be great if there was a way for us to modify the unit's software via an "update". Top of my list would be to allow it to accept a 6-character postal code so we can get local TVGOS info from a Canadian postal code and maybe upgrade the colours and look of the guide.

Any ideas if there have been any attempts or is anyone willing to experiment?
Old 2012-02-01, 07:42 PM   #524
Jase88

I'm not aware of any such attempt. It would likely destabilize or brick the unit.

Channel Master has indicated that adding support for postal codes is "in development" for the 7000, which I took as a easier statement to make other than "No, it's not going to happen". Certainly doesn't appear to be supported in the upcoming 7400 either.

For my part, I'm now getting PSIP EPG data on all but two stations (CHCH & CBLFT); mostly an acceptable situation for me (would be nicer if PSIP went further into the future) as far as the 7000 goes.

I don't intend to purchase product from Channel Master in the future due to their poor support. And in particular their non-existent support of the Canadian market.
Old 2012-02-02, 08:40 PM   #525
Steve Smart

Default Rewriting the code on a 7000PAL

I wouldn't hold your breath on any improvements. The 7400, which I own, also won't accept a Toronto postal code. During setup you have the opportunity to enter the country/code for either the USA or Canada, but if you enter a Canadian postal code the the 7400 is "unable to establish contact with the server" and urges you to try again later. If you change to USA and 14201, it connects immediately and a "local lineup" is downloaded. Now, none of this matters unless you're planning on purchasing the extra EPG package, but it shows not much has changed down at Channel Master.

As to the rest, it's all in the coding. I've done various TVGOS experiments with the 7000PAL and a separate TVGOS-enabled DVR. The 7000PAL is quite capable of receiving TVGOS data from a Canadian channel (in my case either CFTO or CKVR) and passing it on, but is unable to transfer that data to its own internal guide. It's easy to tell the difference - Buffalo TVGOS is missing several Canadian channels (CKVR, CITS, TSN, etc) and includes advertising. Toronto TVGOS is missing various US stations, (ION, METV, all Rochester stations), and is blissfully ad-free.

So, the good news is that what you're asking for is entirely possible. The sad reality is that it will probably never happen.