Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-11-25, 12:47 PM   #271
MonopolyBuster

Default DTVPal DVR Patience is Solution

I've had my DTVPal DVR for 4 months and am ordering a second one this week. The only time I ran into a problem with it was when I was running version 207 of the software, but with the latest update to 208 there is no problem.

The key to operating the unit is to have patience if a command is not instantaneously recognized. Its a lot like a computer, if the software is working on the latest command (your last keystroke), and I get impatient for a couple of seconds, then keep hammering the key in the hope I will get what I want, will only cause a system crash and subsequent reboot. When I do that with the unit I get the same result.

This is not to suggest that the unit is consistently slow in executing a command, but a couple of times a month it does occur, and then you just wait and let it execute the command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-28, 04:29 PM   #272
webmasterbill2
Rookie

Default Safe to disconnect the antenna?

What happens to the TR-50 if you power it down, give it a good (spin down) waiting period, unplug it, tote it to a different location and power it up again without hooking it up to an antenna (say, to watch a recorded program on a different TV in a different room)? Does the unit go whacky trying to locate the channels it used to be able to receive? Does it reboot? Crash?
Old 2009-11-29, 01:43 PM   #273
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington

webmasterbill2, I've done this and it actually does what you want it to do.
Old 2009-11-30, 09:58 AM   #274
spamnotca
Rookie

Default Safe to disconnect the antenna?

webmasterbill2 asked:

Quote:
What happens to the TR-50 if you power it down, ...and power it up again without hooking it up to an antenna ...? Does the unit go whacky trying to locate the channels it used to be able to receive? Does it reboot?
It will boot up and display a message saying it is unable to find a signal. I know because I don't always turn on the amp for my antenna. It keeps the channel info and you can watch your recorded program.

I unplug my DTVPal all time since it draws ~25w even when off. I've been doing it since last Feb. and it doesn't seem to do it any harm. The only effect I can think of is that the onscreen guide will take a few minutes to start populating.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 2009-11-30, 06:47 PM   #275
MonopolyBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamnotca View Post
webmasterbill2:

I unplug my DTVPal all time since it draws ~25w even when off. I've been doing it since last Feb. and it doesn't seem to do it any harm.
I've been reading that the reason the hard drive remains on is that it lasts much longer than starting it and stopping it everyday. This appears to be true since servers run non-stop for years with no ill effects, they only have a shorter life you if switch them on and off (cool down and heat up cycle)
Old 2009-12-02, 01:47 PM   #276
spamnotca
Rookie

Default DTVPal HD

Quote:
MonopolyBuster posted: they [HDs] only have a shorter life you if switch them on and off (cool down and heat up cycle)
AFAIK the heating/cooling issue was only really a problem in the 1980's and 90's when chips on motherboards weren't soldered. The chips would creep out of their sockets over time and periodically had to be pushed back in.

It's been my experience with HDs that starting and stopping doesn't bother them. I have several in various computers that are over five years old. Even if it does shorten the lifespan, the DTVPal uses standard hard drives which can be bought for under $100 and would be considered an upgrade to the current HD.

The HD is used for data storage only and the OS isn't stored on it. From what I've read, a new HD will be formatted for use automatically by the OS. Has anyone tried this yet?

Cheers,
Brian
Old 2009-12-11, 08:56 AM   #277
MonopolyBuster

Default DTVPal DVR IR remote and interference from Sony Bravia

After raving about my DTVPal DVR for the last 4 months I bought a second one and a new Bravia to go with it. The new DVR did not want to start or respond to any of my inputs on the IR remote. The DVR was dead right out of the box! So I turned off the Bravia and then hooked it up to my old CRT TV and it worked just fine.

After a few days of experimenting, I traced the cause to the fact the new Bravia, when turned on, is putting out some kind of atmospheric interference that makes the DVR's IR remote inoperative. I played around with a sheet of aluminum foil covering various areas of the Bravia and when covering the centre of the screen, the DVR's remote works just fine, but watching anything is impossible. LOL

After further research I see the DTVPal DVR is actually made by Scientific Atlantic who also make a variety of PVR HDD cable boxes, under the Harmony and Comcast brands (Bell, Rogers also?), which also have the same issue with IR interference from the Bravia, see

I have read in other forums some users have issues with their DVR and gave up in frustration, but I wonder if they had have tried another TV if their issues would have gone away? Clearly the dishNetwork people should have developed a DVR that is compatible with all TVs and that is where the blame lies, but I'm relieved that with a bit of ingenuity one can keep their DTVPal DVR fully operational, since there is no comparable OTA PVR box for Canada and TIVO won't support their PVR in Canada.
Old 2009-12-11, 04:27 PM   #278
99semaj
Veteran

OK, that's just plain wierd.

THe only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that maybe the Bravia has an IR blaster for controlling other boxes, and it's interfering????
Old 2009-12-11, 08:25 PM   #279
Jase88

Some fluorescent tubes emit strong infrared light, which completely blocks out the light coming from IR remotes. I've noted this effect in rooms with several CF lights on. I'm guessing that's the problem with your Bravia...
Old 2009-12-14, 07:43 AM   #280
MonopolyBuster

Default DTVPal DVR IR Remote Incompatability with Bravia - SOLVED!

Another weekend of frustration and experimenting with making the Bravia work with my DVR finally ended with a few good suggestions found on xxx

The cause is the back lights on LCD screens which send out considerable IR interference during warmup. It happens with many brands, and the larger the screen, the more potent the interference, even flourescent lamps can cause this.

The bigger question now is if the confluence of signals generated is causing me to fall asleep while watching, or is it the content of the programs? ;-)
Old 2009-12-14, 08:32 AM   #281
admin

Should have looked on these forums as we highlighted IR lssue long ago

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463
Old 2009-12-19, 08:48 AM   #282
Keith.B

Quote:
I understand Xantech is aware of this and now offers an "LCD-friendly" as well as "Plasma-friendly" IR receivers in addition to their standard IR receiver and CFL-friendly models. Unfortunately, they're a little expensive.
I have often wondered what the "LCD friendly" remote is. Now I know.
As my display is a CRT, it's never come up.
I did have trouble with a cheap RF remote extender getting swamped but that's another story.
Learn something everyday.
Old 2010-01-18, 05:01 PM   #283
cherry
Rookie

I have two questions regarding DTVPal:

1. Is it possible to enable automatic timeshifting on this unit? In other words is there a way the unit will start buffering when turned on without having to pause live tv manually?

2. Has anybody found a way to copy recorded files to a PC?

Thanks
Old 2010-01-18, 11:57 PM   #284
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington

1. It does this automatically. Once you reach one hour, it will start dropping off the beginning of the buffer. If you change the channel, the buffer clears.

2. Not possible.
Old 2010-01-20, 12:45 PM   #285
cherry
Rookie

Is there an option to increase the buffer to 2 or 3 hours?