Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-02-09, 09:23 AM   #136
aWcMTL

Default DTV Pal vs CM7000

Anybody ever compared the sensitivity of the ATSC tuner in the DTV Pal with the one from CM7000? I know they are two different animals, but it would help me decide if I want to take the plunge for the DTV Pal right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-09, 09:28 AM   #137
tenstu

Do you mean the DTV PAL converter box, or the DTVPAL DVR discussed in this thread? They are two different boxes and may or may not contain the same tuner....
Old 2009-02-09, 10:28 AM   #138
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Default Upgraded the firmware to 202

I ran into my first problems over the weekend. I experimented with recording two shows simultaneously - that "worked" but the dvr was less than graceful about it.

- I tried to record a third program in the same time slot to see what would happen. It was not pretty. It wiped out all the guide data, said something about a failed internet connection (I'm not using the ethernet port) but continued on fine a moment later. The guide data re-populated soon afterward.

- when the dual programs were recording, it did allow me to flip between the 2 channels, but not any others (what I though it what do) but shortly afterward, it flashed an error message about a failed update.

- at some point during the recordings, the output to my tv stopped

- after the recordings, one of the recordings was split in two. One half had the incorrect program title/description. The other recording had no program title or description. But otherwise the recordings were fine.

So, I upgraded the firmware to 202 (using USB). I only watched it for an hour or so afterward it seemed ok. I have a recording set up for tonight. I'll see how it goes. I'll try a simultaneous recording later this week to see it the new version handles it better.
Old 2009-02-09, 11:03 AM   #139
intravino

Quote:
Anybody ever compared the sensitivity of the ATSC tuner in the DTV Pal with the one from CM7000? I know they are two different animals, but it would help me decide if I want to take the plunge for the DTV Pal right away.
Yes, On some other forum, several users compared it and the CM7000 is better.

I just purchased a Tivo HD from the States last week and it has the same tuner as the TR-50 (Microtune MT2131) and It has about the same sensitivity of my Samsung plasma TV 42a450. Maybe marginally better. BTW, the analogue reception on the Tivo is better then my TV.

I can tell you for sure next week because I should get my CM 7000 and I will do a head to head with the Tivo HD.

Intravino
Old 2009-02-09, 11:09 AM   #140
tenstu

El Gran Chico,

My unit gave an update error message last night. I have not connected it to the Internet either, so I assume it was programmed to phone home regularly to check for updates. So, I guess because it found no Ethernet connection it barked out the error.

However, you can not watch a third program while recording two others unless the third program is a recording. The unit is a dual tuner type, meaning only two channels can be "tuned" simultaneously. Your experiment likely caused some of the hiccups you then noticed as the unit was not designed to do it. One would hope better behavior from it though, likely fixed by updates of not already in 202.
Old 2009-02-09, 03:11 PM   #141
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington

I now notice that I lost 2 timers set up for today. I'm guessing the problems I had yesterday or the firmware update itself caused them to be deleted.
Old 2009-02-09, 03:18 PM   #142
tenstu

I'm betting the firmware upgrade did that.
Old 2009-02-09, 03:34 PM   #143
aWcMTL

tenstu:
I meant the DVR. For a tuner/converter, I would choose the CM7000, but I am tempted
by the DVR because I don't have a digital TV recording system yet. The other thing is that I want to improve on the reception I get from my Aquos.
So, I was wondering if the DTV Pal DVR would help me significantly for reception as well.

Last edited by aWcMTL; 2009-02-09 at 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot to quote
Old 2009-02-10, 01:18 AM   #144
Walter Dnes

With all the speculation about what the DTVPal DVR can/cannot do, I emailed the tech support email address to get authoratative answers. My questions were...

1) Can I set the DVR's clock manually, and get it to ignore PSIP data? I don't believe we have digital TVGOS in Toronto.

2) Can I manually set the DVR to record a specific channel at a specific time, regardless of what shows up in PSIP/TVGOS?

3) A nice-to-have feature would be the ability to copy data off the drive in an unencrypted format.

Here is the relevant section of the reply...

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. To ensure clarity I will answer your questions as they are asked.
1) The PSIP data does control the time, and unfortunately there is no manual setting for the time.
2) At this point there is the option to set manual timers, but this has seen issues if the guide information is inaccurate.
3) As of not there is no way to remove the data in an unencrypted format. I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
I assume that the reply to question 3 should start "As of now". This is disappointing. I would be better off with Myth-TV or one of several Windows-based hardware/software combos.
Old 2009-02-10, 07:51 AM   #145
tenstu

Walter Dnes:

Be aware the Windows Based HTPC boxes using the Window Media Center portion, do NOT officially support ATSC channels for Canadian Cities. You have to do some hacking o get ATSC to show up. And, the guide listings for those channels requires some hacking as well. Plus, the new Vista TV Pack completely ruins these hacks and is not for Canada at all. Search for posts by PNear for more info.

You will likely need another media center 'front end' for you HTPC that has complete support for canada.

So the question is: is it easier to go with the DTVPAL DVR and hope that software updates fix your 3 request?
Old 2009-02-10, 04:15 PM   #146
tenstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Does it have an option for a TVGOS feed from Canada? I set my TV to
M5W 1E6 (downtown Toronto) and I get TVGOS for all the GTA channels plus all the Buffalo channels with the odd exception of 23-1.
hmmm - I've just tried this as a test on a Sony V series TVGOS setup (in case Dish enables postal codes soon). All I get auto-configured is TVO and every CTV affiliate in the world... I have drilled down to add some US stations in Buffalo but they have shown No Listings for a few days.
Old 2009-02-10, 10:56 PM   #147
intravino

Quote:
I meant the DVR. For a tuner/converter, I would choose the CM7000, but I am tempted
by the DVR because I don't have a digital TV recording system yet. The other thing is that I want to improve on the reception I get from my Aquos.
So, I was wondering if the DTV Pal DVR would help me significantly for reception as well.
I just received my cm 7000, I did only one test, look at thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=42186&page=49

intravino
Old 2009-02-19, 10:03 PM   #148
orion250
Rookie

Just received my DTVpal two days ago. Works perfect! Great reception, receives all local stations with high signal strength. It has the same exact EPG and menus as the Echostar TR-40 converter box. Tried a manual instant recording and worked perfect. Played it back, perfect again. Tried a timer recording with the unit turned off and then viewed recording afterwards, no problems whatsoever. The dvr records without being on if the timer record is set. 100% pleased with this unit. I just might get another one for the other part of the house!!!

BTW, I cannot hear any noises coming from this unit when it is on, even when I put my ear just inches from it, very quiet.

Last edited by orion250; 2009-02-19 at 10:12 PM. Reason: addition to
Old 2009-02-20, 08:07 AM   #149
tenstu

Great to hear Orion250! Same experience here.

I was almost pulling the trigger this week to buy a second unit but the website says they are totally sold out! While this is bad news for anyone who wants one right away, it is good news for Echostar and for end users I think - because it means the product is selling very well. This in turn should mean attention to software updates etc...

Enjoy your unit!
Old 2009-02-20, 12:16 PM   #150
weehaggis

Couple of questions for DTVPal owners.

Am I correct in saying that these units are sold by Dish Network?
Isn't this competition for their Satelite systems ?

What does the term "analog pass through " mean ?

thanks