How can I have Apple Lossless in iTunes, Apple Lossy in iPod - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS

Old 2008-11-14, 02:03 PM   #16
Dog Byte

iTunes 7 added support for multiple libraries. Then you can have a lossless library for home and a lossy version for iPods. On the Mac hold the Option key when starting iTunes and on the PC hold the Shift key when starting iTunes. You get a dialog to open or create a library.

I have iTunes in my Start menu and <shift> iTunes doesn't do squat but Start -> All Programs -> iTunes -> <shift> iTunes does work. Apparently a desktop icon works too but I don't use those.

A search of "itunes multiple libraries" finds all sorts of stuff. Having lossless and lossy libraries is a common use of this feature.
Dog Byte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-11-14, 02:07 PM   #17
hugh
Member #1

Dog Byte, I know, see Post #4.
Old 2008-11-14, 03:16 PM   #18
blueroomelectro

This may be helpful http://jonsview.com/2007/10/16/itune...ossless-to-aac
blueroomelectro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-14, 03:30 PM   #19
hugh
Member #1

blueroomelectro, thanks, the author's issue is identical to mine and I actually found Doug's scripts the other day in my research but its only for Mac!

Thanks again though!

I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to do this on Windows.

It really is sad because Apple is supposedly praying at the alter of "ease of use" and yet itunes can't do what many WMA/MP3 players and software have been doing for years.

P.S. I'm not trying to Apple Bash, I'm just frustrated!
Old 2008-11-14, 03:35 PM   #20
hugh
Member #1

FWIW, I essentially have two workarounds:

First, creating two smart playlists - One for lossless and one for lossy and not use the Genius feature.

Second, Create two libraries with all the hassles I mentioned in earlier posts and be able to use the Genius feature
Old 2008-11-14, 03:39 PM   #21
Dog Byte

Well, it was new to me. Never mind.

I don't understand Apple's lack of support of iTunes. It's an enormous opportunity to show Windows users "the Apple way". Instead it's a half-assed buggy application that actually keeps some people from buying iPods (which is a whole other issue).
Dog Byte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-14, 08:46 PM   #22
Sugith

Default Thanks!

blueroomelectro, thanks for posting that link for the Applescript that can do this! Much appreciated.
Sugith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-15, 06:37 PM   #23
kingb71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Byte View Post
Well, it was new to me. Never mind.

I don't understand Apple's lack of support of iTunes. It's an enormous opportunity to show Windows users "the Apple way". Instead it's a half-assed buggy application that actually keeps some people from buying iPods (which is a whole other issue).
It shouldn't stop people from buying iPod's.
I've had an iPod for over a year now & have never ever once installed iTunes, and plan on never doing so.
I rip my cd's with a properly configured EAC & transfer with Sharepod.
I use VLC to play so don't need iTunes to do that for me.
kingb71 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
apple, itunes, lossless, lossy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.