How can I have Apple Lossless in iTunes, Apple Lossy in iPod - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS

Old 2008-11-12, 12:47 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default How can I have Apple Lossless in iTunes, Apple Lossy in iPod

My situation:

I have all my CDs ripped to WMA lossless format. This year I got an iPod Touch and Apple TV so now I am using iTunes. The result is I am now in the process of ripping all the CD's again to Apple Lossless.

I prefer lossless because I am playing these songs over my stereo and want the best possible sound.

So my question is:

How can I create a library of Lossy versions for transfer to my iPod touch or can I somehow have a lossy version automatically created when I transfer songs to my touch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-11-12, 12:58 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Okay so from my research it seems I am out of luck. It sounds like I will essentially have to take every song in the library and then re encode in say AAC 128k or 256k by doing the following:
  • Goto edit preferences.
  • Click on the General Tab
  • Click on the import settings
  • Set the import dropdown to AAC encoder and the preferred bitrate
  • Highlight all my Lossless song in itunes and righmouse click
  • Click on Create _________ Version where ________ is the bitrate I set in the encoder.

The result would be duplicates of every song: one in lossless and one in lossy format.

This seems really ridiculous because now it screws up my library and presumably would screw up genius.

Help!
Old 2008-11-12, 01:30 PM   #3
QuickSilver

Would having 2 libraries be a problem? I have 4 personally.
Old 2008-11-12, 01:48 PM   #4
hugh
Member #1

With multiple libraries, I guess I would put all my lossless music in one library and lossy music in another. I guess I would stuff all the podcasts and applications in the lossy library because they are for use on the iPod

But what about Video. I want my video available to Apple TV, iPod and iTunes so I would want it available to both libraries.

The other thing is when I rip a new CD, wouldn't I have to rip it into each library? I want to rip a bunch of CD's into lossless and then mass convert them to lossy using the right mouse button.
Old 2008-11-12, 02:40 PM   #5
QuickSilver

Well for the ATV it can only sync to 1 library but can stream from up to 5(?) I think.

I do not know a way for you to rip a cd to 2 formats and then have them show up in each library. When i read your 1st post I thought you were going to re-rip all your cd's to Apple Lossless?

I assumed you just wanted that 1 library for transferring to your touch the lossless rips.
Old 2008-11-12, 03:25 PM   #6
hugh
Member #1

I am ripping all my cds to lossless which I will then convert to lossy in the one library. In future though (when I had 2 libraries) I would have to rip once in each library - correct?

Quote:
I assumed you just wanted that 1 library for transferring to your touch the lossless rips.
As I noted, if it was only music then okay but the podcasts and and video need to be in both which makes in all very complicated.

Ideally, Apple iTunes would be much better if it could create one instance of a song in the library but multiple files suporting it (lossless and lossy). Then you could just say which version to use when. lossless in itunes and lossy when moving to a disc.

I understand the shuffle used to have software that would convert lossless to lossy. I think this should be an option for all iPods then you wouldn't need to worry.
Old 2008-11-12, 11:24 PM   #7
e268

My music library is all in FLAC. I also have a mp3 library in my Walkman phone.

Yesterday, I needed to encode an album in mp3 for my walkman phone. Instead of ripping that album again, I imported the FLAC album into itune, which restored it to wave format, and then encoded it to mp3. My point is that may be you can do the same with wma?

BTW, a more direct way for me is foobar2000, from flac to mp3 in one step.
Old 2008-11-13, 07:46 AM   #8
hugh
Member #1

The last thing I want to do in more encoding. I want all my songs encoded in Apple Lossless and Apple 128. The problem is how to best serve it up.
Old 2008-11-13, 10:13 AM   #9
e268

Hugh: may be my message is not clear, or I mis understand your problem. What I was trying to get at is that you do not have to rip your cd's again into itune. Just import or drag your wma albums into itune and it will convert to itune lossless.

Mind you, I have not done it myself, I just read about this in internet.
Old 2008-11-13, 10:31 AM   #10
hugh
Member #1

e268, I know all that but that is not my problem!
Old 2008-11-14, 12:57 AM   #11
blueroomelectro

I've been ripping my CDs using AAC 160K VBR and (make sure error checking is on to get perfect rips)
Quality wise and size wise it's a happy medium for me. Sounds fantastic IMO.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm
Old 2008-11-14, 07:33 AM   #12
hugh
Member #1

I guess that is interesting but that isn't my problem.
Old 2008-11-14, 09:25 AM   #13
hdtvvan

Hugh.. this is what I do.

I have one library. In that library I have a Playlist called Lossless and one called iPod. So lossless format in one and other formats in the iPod playlist.

Basically you will have 2 versions of each song in the entire library but your playlist is what will differentiate the 2.

When I sync the ipod... it only syncs to the ipod playlist. With ATV you can select whatever you want.

Don't know if that will help you out.
Old 2008-11-14, 09:48 AM   #14
hugh
Member #1

hdtvvan, that is what I have now. I have multiple playlists for multiple iPods.

The problem is that your library has two entries for every song so it makes searching a pain and presumably scews up Genius.
Old 2008-11-14, 12:17 PM   #15
hdtvvan

"How can I create a library of Lossy versions for transfer to my iPod touch or can I somehow have a lossy version automatically created when I transfer songs to my touch?"

As far as I know there is now way to convert from one format to another during the transfer to the iTouch. With iTunes you need to have the mutliple copies to do what you want to do. Smart Playlists can help in keeping the formats separated and then syncing the various playlists with the various devices but you will always have to have multiple copies.

Tags
apple, itunes, lossless, lossy