Review: jr.com - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Retailer Reviews > Online Retailer Reviews

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 2 66.67%
Somewhat Satisfied 1 33.33%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 0 0%
Extremely Dissatisfied 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-10-09, 08:26 AM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Review: jr.com

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at the online retailer jr.com.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-10-09, 08:27 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!
Old 2010-06-19, 02:28 PM   #3
Francois Caron
Veteran

I've purchased plenty of products from jr.com. Two camcorders, two batteries, one charger, two cleaning tapes, a smartphone, and a tripod.

Delivery charges: $35 American on average for UPS Worldship Express, $43 USD for the smartphone, which was a Nokia N900, the most expensive product I've ever purchased from them. The shipping charges include customs charges, but not GST and PST which is payable upon delivery for personal purchases, and payable upon receipt of the UPS bill for businesses.

All deliveries arrived double-boxed, undamaged, and in their original packaging.

Jr is in New York City, I'm in Montreal. Nearly every delivery arrived overnight, with only one delivery arriving a day later after shipping.

Only the tripod was back-ordered, and it did take a while for it to arrive. However, all the other retailers were also back-ordered or were asking too much. But as soon as jr received it, it was charged and shipped out the very same day.

The smartphone, while it was in stock, did take an extra day to be shipped out, more specifically on December 23, 2009. It arrived the next day on December 24.

The only product that turned out to be defective was one of the two camcorders. But because I had the camcorder for more than a month and it would take too long to have Canon repair it before my European vacation, I ordered a replacement camcorder from jr.com which is still working properly to this very day.

Jr's pricing and the current exchange rate does make it worthwhile to take a chance with purchasing medium to large ticket items from them (even the bad camcorder was priced considerably less in the States than here in Canada), but do make sure the manufacturer will honor the warranty for a product purchased in the USA and used in Canada. Some manufacturers can be openly hostile to cross-border purchases to the point of absurdity.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with jr.com and continue to use them both for cross-border purchases and for pricing comparisons.
Old 2010-06-20, 06:46 PM   #4
cfraser

I have always had good success with J&R too. Even with VERY large items, they double-box and the original/internal box arrives still looking pristine.

Once they gave me a decent discount even *after* they had shipped something, because it had gone on sale while it was still in transit. Another time they gave a store credit because an item went on sale shortly after I bought it. Always worth asking with J&R!

Things to know though: they insist on using UPS for everything "larger", or anything expensive enough they want to track it. Typically you get a mailed bill from UPS 1-3 weeks after receipt. Shock!...sometimes, especially just when I think they forgot about it...right. They can also ship so that you don't have to receive the goods in person, the yellow door-sticky/signature thing, a boon for those who work (certain Canadian ops could learn from this). And J&R are savvy about validity of warranties in Canada. They do have good salespeople in general, and they DO get back to you if you have any queries. Quite an operation they run...

Tags
jr.com, online retailer, review