Canadian version of HBO launches October 30th - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-09-23, 12:26 PM   #46
gretzky

Angry

why we always get cheap lite version of great channels that are allready there ? (and i'm not just talking about hbo...you can put mtv in that one too)
shame on crtc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-09-23, 12:38 PM   #47
Lindsay649

A smart move by Astral and Corus to team up and have a channel that will primarly show HBO offerings. In reality nothing more than a name change and programing change for an existing channel(s). With the odd exception not sure that we have missed anything really worthwhile that has appeared on the American movie channels. It all shows up here, one way or another. Posters continually complain about pricing......for less than twenty dollars a month you get a lot more value than paying fourty to sixty dollars a month for all the US premium movie channels. Quantity is not a subsitute for Quality.
Old 2008-09-23, 12:39 PM   #48
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
It all shows up here, one way or another
If it did, we wouldn't be complaining. Often comedy specials, a favourite of mine, never make it. Fights typically don't make it either. I'm not a fight fan but many people are.
Old 2008-09-23, 01:03 PM   #49
Hulk Hogan

"Under federal rules, The Movie Network and Movie Central are required to devote about 25 per cent of overall air time, and 35 per cent of prime time, to Canadian content, which will also apply to the HBO Canada schedule. In the case of The Movie Network, the service is also required to spend a minimum of 32 per cent of its previous year's revenue on Canadian productions."

Maybe they will reshoot the last scene of the Sopranos in Tim Horton's and re-air it.

Seriously though, I wonder if HBO will produce an all original Canadian series that will be edgier than what the networks have been able to air. That would be cool.
Old 2008-09-23, 03:31 PM   #50
mickk

Quote:
why we always get cheap lite version of great channels that are allready there ? (and i'm not just talking about hbo...you can put mtv in that one too)
shame on crtc
don't get me started i just found out that MTV2 is actully broadcasted from the Muchmusic building. Isn't MTV supposed to be the competition LOL
Old 2008-09-23, 03:48 PM   #51
gobisbay

Default Good or Bad?

Perhaps this will mean that all the HBO shows that TMN has not been airing in HD will now be in HD.

However, what about Showtime programs that currently air on TMN, like Dexter? Will they disappear from Canada?

Or do we have to wait and watch the re-hashed, watered down version of Dexter sim-subbed on CBS three months after it aired on Showtime?
Old 2008-09-23, 03:53 PM   #52

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

There's a thread on Dexter in this forum. It will run on TMN & TMN-HD as before - season 3 starting on Sunday at 10PM. The last few times, some of these programmes even aired before they were available in the US.
Old 2008-09-23, 06:05 PM   #53
arminia

"Wanna watch the real HBO sometime in the future plus all the other good channels we all miss? Vote Conservative!!! and give them a majority government. Enough said."

This has to be the most stupid reason to vote for somebody. There are more important issues than being able to watch the "real" HBO.
Old 2008-09-23, 07:03 PM   #54
dmccorm140

Thumbs up Finally we get Bill Maher's show!!!

I have been bugging TMN to add Bill Maher's show, that is now done so I am a happy customer. In comparing HBO to TMN, TMN is actually better as it will have all HBO's programming plus the best of Showtime. In addition we get the late nite movies on TMNExcess :-)!!!
Old 2008-09-23, 09:27 PM   #55
james99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
If it did, we wouldn't be complaining. Often comedy specials, a favourite of mine, never make it.
You mean something like this weekends Chris Rock stand-up comedy special?
Old 2008-09-23, 11:10 PM   #56
hugh
Member #1

Exactly James!
Old 2008-09-24, 01:58 AM   #57
ringmaster

"Wanna watch the real HBO sometime in the future plus all the other good channels we all miss? Vote Conservative!!! and give them a majority government. Enough said.

They are going to aloow US channels(ESPN, HBO, MTV, FX, ect...) on Canadian soil? I highly doubt that because wouldn't so many Canadians would lose jobs?

Or do you mean they will allow us to buy Direct Tv or Dish Network legally?
Old 2008-09-24, 08:07 AM   #58
admin

Election talk belongs in the Election Forum. Any further posts along that line will be deleted without notice
Old 2008-09-24, 01:38 PM   #59
tdti1

Will the Canadian HBO show all the HBO boxing?
Old 2008-09-24, 02:01 PM   #60
DorkKnight

Quote:
I wonder what will happen to Encore Avenue when this change takes place? My guess is nothing but if anyone else has any ideas please fire away.
As far as I know nothing, and I hope it stays that way otherwise I may be partially out of a job.

Tags
astral, corus, hbo, hbo canada, movie central, tmn