TSN 2 Programming Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2008-09-08, 08:00 PM   #31
NB Josh
Veteran

Not on in Houston or Jacksonville either. CBS Boston is airing it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-09-13, 11:56 AM   #32
slickrick2369

Default NHL on TSN2

If you look at the TV schedule on nhl.com, it shows 1-2 games every week (The Versus Broadcast) Usually on Monday/Tuesday nights, and includes many Pens/Caps games....

I hope Shaw adds TSN2 soon or else I'm goin to Bell TV
Old 2008-09-13, 08:50 PM   #33
oilblue
Veteran

Angry TSN using CFL fans as pawns...

For the first time ever, TSN won the rights for all CFL games this season (regular season and playoffs). Sounded good at the time...

TSN just announced two things during half-time of the Ti-Cats @ Esks game:
- TSN2 is available nationwide through BEV
- the Esks game next week is on TSN2 and on TSN.ca. What?!!!

That's infuriating. TSN--a Bell Globe Media channel--bid for and won the rights to CFL games...and now they're shuttling them off to a new channel...that just happens to be newly available on BEV.

I'm a Shaw subscriber, but I'm not ticked at Shaw over this. I'm ticked at TSN and Bell. As noted in the first post in this thread, TSN/Bell is using fans as pawns in their sloppy launch of a channel. In this case, CFL fans (in particular, Eskimo fans...and Edmonton just happens to be in Shaw territory).

Wouldn't shock me if this was cooked up in advance of launching TSN2.

edit: Just checked the schedule, and TSN will be airing Ryder Cup golf Sun. Sept. 21st rather than Esks @ Als. Instead of original Canadian programming, they're re-broadcasting NBC programming. Tell me how that makes sense from the perspective of a sports fan. Is it even possible to have access to TSN without access to NBC? In other words, anyone with access to TSN already has access to NBC, and therefore, the Ryder Cup matches. Meanwhile, TSN is the only source of the CFL game...which they've conveniently shoved over to TSN2. Dirty pool Bell. Sports fans are caught in the middle as Bell/TSN attempt a sloppy launch of a channel. Count me as totally unimpressed.

Get the CFL games back on TSN, NOT TSN2!
Old 2008-09-13, 10:44 PM   #34
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post
I agree.

And your Eskimos were lucky to beat my Ticats tonight.

I hate the Eskimos.
Old 2008-09-14, 12:28 AM   #35
NB Josh
Veteran

Bell doesn't have any control over TSN or TSN2, I believe this has been stated before.

As I mentioned back when everyone was complaining that US Open tennis was pushed to TSN2, so an NFL game could air on NBC and TSN. TSN has to air some events because they paid a lot of money for it, and it was in the contract. The major golf events count towards this, in fact all golf events TSN airs do. It was really a poor scheduling move by the CFL and TSN to put a game on next Sunday. I know they need the field for University football on Friday or Saturday, but Thursday night would have been a better option.
Old 2008-09-14, 01:39 AM   #36
SportsFan

oilblue, Bell Globe Media changed it's name to CTVglobemedia almost two years ago when Bell sold most of it. TSN is the only one deserving of your ire. I doubt Bell influences programming decisions like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
Bell doesn't have any control over TSN or TSN2, I believe this has been stated before.
BCE still owns 15% of TSN and when the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan takeover of BCE goes through, it will be a combined 40%. You've got to think that TSN will be told to play nice with Bell.
Old 2008-09-14, 01:59 AM   #37
NB Josh
Veteran

Bell actually owns 15% of the 80% of TSN that CTVglobemedia owns (ESPN owns the other 20%), so while they do own some, it isn't much.
Old 2008-09-14, 03:03 AM   #38
magnet

Quote:

TSN just announced two things during half-time of the Ti-Cats @ Esks game:
- TSN2 is available nationwide through BEV
- the Esks game next week is on TSN2 and on TSN.ca. What?!!!
The EDM/ MTL CFL Game is on RDS. Sign up for RDS (French TSN) for 1 day with SHAW... cost is about 10 cents... IF you need English announcers... tune the radio to 630 CHED.

or watch for free on tsn.ca
Old 2008-09-14, 02:38 PM   #39
SportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB Josh View Post
Bell actually owns 15% of the 80% of TSN that CTVglobemedia owns (ESPN owns the other 20%), so while they do own some, it isn't much.
It's even more complicated than that, but BCE owns 15% of the only company in the chain of companies that owns TSN, that doesn't have a controlling shareholder.

Don't you think that TSN (and all of CTV) is told to treat Bell well (and vice-versa)?
Old 2008-09-14, 02:46 PM   #40
NB Josh
Veteran

I'm sure that TSN and Bell are treating each other well. I'm just stating the fact that the CFL game got put over to TSN2 because of a contractual obligation. This had been scheduled well before TSN2 got picked up by Bell.
Old 2008-09-14, 03:18 PM   #41
oilblue
Veteran

Angry

NB Josh: No, this game had not been scheduled for TSN-A or TSN2 long ago. Check TSN's original CFL schedule for this season. The Esks @ Als was scheduled to be on TSN itself, and as a TSN-HD game:
Quote:
An (#) indicates games available on TSN HD.

Sunday, September 21 Edmonton at Montreal * 1pm/10am # -
Since I posted last night, they've added this line (which wasn't there before):
Quote:
Due to a scheduling conflict, this game will be shown on TSN2
This move reminds of CBC putting a number of Brier games onto Country Canada a few years back. Hardly anyone had that channel, so people were rightly annoyed (digital boxes weren't as prevalent then, so adding a channel wasn't that easy).

Well, that CBC decision stunk, and this stunt by TSN is just as bad. TSN is playing games here. They're the national broadcaster of CFL games, and they've relegated the game to a channel the majority of Canadians can't even get. Why even bid for all the games if you can't carry them?

As for all of those that say Bell doesn't control TSN...fine. But you can't seriously assert that it's pure coincidence that the game was shifted to TSN2 within 24 hours of the announcement that BEV picked up TSN2.

Old 2008-09-14, 03:41 PM   #42
thegman

I dont get this, TSN has known for ages they were going to have the Ryder Cup all day Sunday, so they would have known for sure that the CFL would be pushed to TSN-A (at the time of publishing their schedule, as TSN2 didnt exist). Golf would take presidence I would think.

Shady of them to always list it on TSNHD imo...
Old 2008-09-14, 03:44 PM   #43
Dean W

Actually when the CFL schedule was announced in February-ish, they knew there was a conflict with the golf and it was reported in Globe and Mail at that time and a few times afterwards as well.

The Country Canada analogy is a fair one though in many ways. Although at least the game is also on RDS (HD) ... helps a little, but not much.
Old 2008-09-14, 04:22 PM   #44
NB Josh
Veteran

Quote:
NB Josh: No, this game had not been scheduled for TSN-A or TSN2 long ago. Check TSN's original CFL schedule for this season. The Esks @ Als was scheduled to be on TSN itself, and as a TSN-HD game:
Yea, but it has been listed on the TSN2 schedule for a week or two now, and golf has been listed on TSN. It depends on what you consider a long time. William Houston reported that the EDM-MTL game would probably end up on TSN-ALT when the season started back in June.
Old 2008-09-14, 11:13 PM   #45
oilblue
Veteran

Again, just yesterday, there was no mention on TSN's CFL schedule that the game wouldn't be on TSN-HD. The TSN2 schedule may have had it...but TSN's CFL page had it too. That's not a long time ago, no matter the interpretation.

Besides, TSN-Alt was widely available, unlike TSN2. The list of BDUs that carried TSN-Alt dwarfs the small list that currently carry TSN2 (and an even smaller list for TSN2-HD). That's just looking at the number of BDUs. Factor in the subscriber base of the BDUs involved, and the the disparity is even worse.

In other words, relegating the game to TSN2 is much worse than pushing it to TSN-Alt. Not even close to the same thing.

Even then, the TSN-Alt option doesn't explain why the game was always listed as an HD broadcast.

I understand this makes some sense for TSN's bottom line. At some point though, viewers and their interests should be factors too. Pushing the game to TSN2 is ludicrous from a sports fan's perspective (it's not like the golf wasn't otherwise available on other channels...or that it couldn't be joined in progress on TSN). The decision demonstrates exactly where TSN values their viewers...below everything else.

No two ways about it, TSN dropped the ball here and CFL fans deserve better.