Shaw offering free HDPVR? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2008-09-03, 06:08 PM   #46
Roastbeef

I think the above discussion is a textbook example of how competion is good for the consumer. Its seems that Shaw only gives you a deal in areas where they have direct competiton from Bell or Telus. As much as I want HD and HD recording for my HD capable TV, I refuse to pay $600 for the d@m# cable box!

Meanwhile I guess I'll have to wait...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-09-04, 11:54 AM   #47
simonm

I can confirm that KrisptKola's offer is valid, I called yesterday and the Shaw rep. offered something similar, free 6 months rental of the HDPVR and after that I can buy it for half price (or was it $348?). Anyhow, I am still thinking whether I should take it. So I have a DCT6200, can I sell it to someone else to use? Is there a market for it and how much I should sell it? I am thinking $250, is it appropriate?
Old 2008-09-05, 04:45 PM   #48
sdimedru

^^^
I'm in the same position, now needing to sell the DCT6200.

The shaw rep said no problem selling it privately, just call shaw and let then know that you sold it, even WHO you sold it to, so they don't run up PPV charges under your name.

I'm going to list mine for $300, take offers from there.
Old 2008-09-05, 06:04 PM   #49
simonm

interesting, did you say you also get 6 months free of programming, sdimedru?

well, I am okay to sell it for $250 if there is any taker.
Old 2008-09-06, 01:59 AM   #50
nick8670

I have been calling Shaw day after day.

We have been loyal Shaw customers since the Rogers days however, since the account at this address was just changed from my mother's name to mine two weeks ago, they refuse to offer the HDPVR deal to me as I have not been a customer for long enough.

Incidentally, before we canceled the previous account and established my new one, we we're able to get my mother an HDPVR for $299 after the six months of free rental and they carried it over to the new account she established at her new address.

I'm going to call one more time tomorrow and once again see what kind of compensation they can offer in place of the HDPVR deal.
Old 2008-09-07, 05:57 PM   #51
bcumming
Rookie

Just tried threatening to cancel - gave the reason as switching to Bell. No discount at all offerred on the HDPVR - best they could do was to offer free movies for 6 months. I took them up on that offer but may try calling again later.
Old 2008-09-12, 01:49 AM   #52
sdimedru

simonm, yes 6 months of free programming also.
Old 2008-09-16, 06:08 PM   #53
sulfur

Shoot it didn't work for me. Not sure if it's because I'm not aggressive enough.

I called Shaw and asked what I need to do if I want to cancel. The 1st CSR was very nice and xfer me to the 2nd dept and said may be there is something they could do to keep me. The 2nd CSR was not as nice, just told me I need to give 2 days notice to cancel. I told her I'm comparing between Bell & Shaw & it seems Bell has cheaper PVR & more HD channels, and she told me to buy the Shaw PVR at FutureShop to save $100. WTF?

I asked if there is a trade up program to trade in my non-HD digital box and she said yes but said not much value & I'll still be better off buying the PVR at FutureShop! She said I could keep the non-HD box but there will be a $1.95/mth charge for having a 2nd terminal. At this point I didn't bother going further.

The thing is since I called from work, I'm sure at their end the caller ID was showing a generic number. Possibly lots of coworkers have called them and that number has been blacklisted? When I called I didn't give my name, phone#, account# or anything, but the 2nd CSR slipped and told me I could use the old terminal to watch Fairchild TV since I have that pkg. While I actually have that pkg, there is no way for them to know that without any of my acct info. Weird eh?
Old 2008-09-16, 07:47 PM   #54
mrspiffyca

I called using the "How much notice to cancel service?" scenario and no go. The rep wanted to debate the value of the Telus offer and I had not done my homework by actually pricing out a package with Telus. He flat out denied a discount on a PVR was possible and offered a token discount on a higher speed of internet for 6 months. I said no thanks and asked him not to remark the offer on my account. He seemed quite pleased with himself. That pissed me off more than anything so I went to the Telus website and got all the numbers and called back. I did not choose cancel service this time but just went through the front door. I went over the numbers I had put together with the rep and asked if Shaw was interested in offering me any incentives to retain me as a customer. She said "Yes sir, one moment while I transfer you through" then I posed the same question to the next person and right away he offered 6 months of everything for $35.00 and $298.00 for a 3200 after 6 months of free rental. I told a buddy at work who only has analogue cable and right away they offered him the same deal when he called. He told them someones name who had gotten a free PVR and the rep said that they were giving them away up until 31Aug08 if the customer pressed hard enough. The rep also suggested it's possible he could get the box free after 6 months depending on what Telus is doing then. For anyone being stonewalled, keep trying. Be direct and prepared; don't bother with asking how much notice to cancel service or pussyfooting around, be bold and get what you want
Old 2008-09-16, 07:51 PM   #55
sulfur

Oh, what provider is this and what is a 3200?

For Shaw I think the non-PVR HD box is DCT 6200 and the PVR is DCT 3416. Right?
Old 2008-09-16, 08:32 PM   #56
mrspiffyca

Sorry, it's Shaw and it is a 3416. I'm a little slow from watching so much TV since I got it.
Old 2008-09-17, 12:53 PM   #57
sulfur

Hi thanks. Did you call them this week or was it a while ago?
Old 2008-09-17, 06:45 PM   #58
Roastbeef

I see that Bell is offering 50% off there HDPVR in BC. I wonder if I can use that to bargin Shaw into giving me a deal on their HDPVR? Anyone in BC tried this?

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_BC...ls?tab=PRICING

Last edited by Roastbeef; 2008-09-17 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 2008-09-17, 06:51 PM   #59
sulfur

Roastbeef: look at my post above. This is exactly what I tried, I told the 2nd CSR Bell's PVR is $275 vs Shaw's $598. She told me to buy the Shaw box at FutureShop.
Old 2008-09-17, 06:59 PM   #60
Roastbeef

Right. So I guess Shaw doesn't care. The question is why not go with Bell then? Is it a decent product?

Tags
hd pvr, shaw, telus tv