HDMI for old Sony TV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2008-08-06, 06:01 PM   #1
acurardx
Rookie

Default HDMI for old Sony TV?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I have an old Sony HDTV (KP-53HS30), I am wondering if HDMI cable can be used on it (with a converter/adapter). Actually, is it worth to spend money on buying a new DVD for this TV? (Honestly, I am still ok with this old TV picture quality )

And if I need to buy a new DVD, what is the best one to pair up with this TV? Would those upconversion one work on this TV?

Thanks for any advice and recommendation
acurardx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-08-06, 06:07 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

This TV has component video inputs. There is no easy conversion from HDMI to Component video and there is no reason to get an upconverting DVD player since almost all only upconvert via HDMI (although an upconverting player may be all you find these days). If you get a new DVD player, use the component video outputs (usually limited to 480P) to this existing TV.

See the following on upconversion.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543

And the following thread, useful for those new to the forum.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2008-08-07, 10:35 AM   #3
acurardx
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help
Old 2008-12-24, 12:54 PM   #4
acurardx
Rookie

Default Insignia Blu-ray Disc Player (NS-BRDVD)

Insignia Blu-ray Disc Player (NS-BRDVD) will be on sale for $99, just wonder if the Blue Ray quality will play on my TV (old Sony HD ready TV KP-53HS30)?

Thanks for any advice
Old 2008-12-24, 01:05 PM   #5
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
just wonder if the Blue Ray quality will play on my TV
You can connect the Insignia player to your TV using component cables, but the player will only output Blu-ray video at 1080i over that connection.

So, although you'll be able to watch Blu-ray movies on your TV, you won't be seeing them in their full 1080p glory.
Old 2008-12-24, 01:34 PM   #6
acurardx
Rookie

Thanks, sorry for another newbie question.

"the player will only output Blu-ray video at 1080i over that connection" Is it because the Blue ray quality can only be delivered through HDMI cable (which my TV does not have...)? If so, I guess I shouldn't even spend too much money on DVD player for this TV.

The reason I am thinking about getting this one is because $99 is almost as cheap as any upconverting DVD player in the market. And in case my 8 years old Sony breaks, any replacement TV I get in the market will have HDMI. What do you guys think?
Old 2008-12-26, 10:28 PM   #7
Phage

I've got the same TV. I have had it serviced, cleaned and calibrated a couple of times since I purchased it and it is performing very well with satellite HD content. My solution to the "no HDMI" problem was first to get an early build of an LG upconverting DVD player that still upconverted through component. Second I have invested in an Apple TV which is still passing HD content over component outputs. I am working to build up a nice digital library (SD and 720p HD) on a network drive that is accessable by the Apple TV. There are other "media extenters" out there as well. (I'm not sure if XBOX and Playstation output HD through component, but I've heard people using these devices as well for HD content.)
Phage is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-27, 12:05 PM   #8
PhotoJim

1080i may not be optimal, but it's still significantly better than 480p.
PhotoJim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-27, 04:28 PM   #9
Doug30

can you really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p?
Doug30 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-28, 01:53 AM   #10
acurardx
Rookie

Hi, Phage, Thanks for the advice, which LG should I get ? LG DVB418? I am not sure where I can get this old model now in Toronto........ Any clue?

Or should I spend extra money to get the Component to HDMI converter/adapter and use a regular upconverting DVD player in the market?

Thanks
Old 2008-12-28, 01:53 PM   #11
PhotoJim

Why don't you just try it with your current TV with component video at 1080i?

Worst case - you hate it, but you haven't bought anything you wouldn't be buying for your other solutions.

Best case - you love it and find it is more than good enough, and you save tons of money. TV technology changes so fast that a new purchase today could end up creating a similar thread in a couple of years, as new TVs then have some new feature that yours doesn't.
PhotoJim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-29, 06:34 PM   #12
Phage

acurardx,

It is the is DV7832, and I think the last build date that still upconverts over component is about Feb. 2004. Might try e-bay?

Here is a link to an pretty extensive thread on the subject:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ight=DV7832NXC

Last edited by Phage; 2008-12-29 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Phage is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.