Rogers Hijacking failed DNS lookups - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2008-07-20, 02:59 PM   #61
Hondra
Rookie

This is not really connected to DNS, but URL monitoring and manipulation.

If you attempt to use the following URL:

HTML Code:
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=mysearch&src=IE-Address
You will be redirected to Rogers.Search.Com

The DNS services do not actually resolve URL addresses, only the domain names to IP addresses. What Rogers is doing is far worse. They are actually reviewing what addresses we are browsing and manipulating the results.

If you remove the "&src=IE-Address" from the sample URL above your results will be returned normally. This is further evidence of this blatent abuse of service.
Hondra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-07-20, 03:06 PM   #62
Hondra
Rookie

The "Opt-Out" feature Rogers introduced is no different than the search manipulation itself. All they are doing is redirecting your traffic too
HTML Code:
http://wwww20.search.rogers.com/not_found
instead of their own search results.

The original search request has still be interrupted and redirected, just to a different location of their choice.
Hondra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 03:19 PM   #63
serialbox
Rookie

Default Rogers has hijacked my browser

As of this morning it appears Rogers is violating some net neutrality rules of some sort. They are now redirecting all invalid DNS requests to a search page with sponsored results.

There is no way to permanently disable this feature. They have an opt-out link which removes the redirected search results BUT it STILL redirects you to a ROGERS.COM address and displays an INTERNET EXPLORER ERROR MESSAGE EVEN WHEN YOU ARE USING FIREFOX!!!

How the hell can we stop this crap. I want this garbage off of my computer NOW.
serialbox is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 03:21 PM   #64
serialbox
Rookie

Whether yo use firefox or not this is still an issue.

I am using firefox and when I type http://asdfasdfa.asdfasdfa.asfas into my browser I get this stupid search page with rogers ads on it. If I opt out of their page using the link they provide I no longer get hte search page BUT my browser still redirects to http://www20.search.rogers.com/not_found and displays an INTERNET EXPLORER error message instead of my standard NOT FOUND firefox error. this is a damn joke
Old 2008-07-20, 03:24 PM   #65
serialbox
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvme View Post
MTS Internet in Manitoba has started to do this as well. However they have a link to "opt out of this service". Does Rogers have a similar link?
they have an opt out link but all that does is remove the sponsored ads. it still redirects you to a rogers web page displaying internet explorer errors.

I use firefox and still get an internet explorer error when a DNS error occurs. there has to be a way to permanently disable this garbage
Old 2008-07-20, 03:27 PM   #66
shabbs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialbox View Post
I use firefox and still get an internet explorer error when a DNS error occurs. there has to be a way to permanently disable this garbage
The only way to get around this is to use DNS servers that are not on Rogers' network. Something like OpenDNS or EasyDNS as discussed earlier in this thread.

Or run your own DNS server.
Old 2008-07-20, 03:29 PM   #67
serialbox
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbs View Post
The only way to get around this is to use DNS servers that are not on Rogers' network. Something like OpenDNS or EasyDNS as discussed earlier in this thread.

Or run your own DNS server.
thanks. I will have to look into that. Id switch ISPs if it were that easy. I almost want to not that my lost business would matter to them anyway but justto make a point
Old 2008-07-20, 04:02 PM   #68
serialbox
Rookie

a reader left a comment on my blog with an alternative way to stop this.

edit your host file and redirect rogers.com to 127.0.0.1 for windows XP windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 rogers.com
Old 2008-07-20, 06:55 PM   #69
LunaC
Rookie

I'm on the phone to them now, they tried telling me that it was 'just the normal browser error' when I 'opted-out'.... I'm on a Mac using Firefox, obviously the error page is a copy of IE's error page and the URL still shows as search.rogers.com/not_found.

My Firefox preferences are at the original setting to enable domain guessing (about:config keyword.enabled true), yet Rogers is overriding that preference and sending the phrase to their ad-ridden junk filled search.

I did verify that DNS lookups are included in the monthly internet access fee. I'm on hold now waiting because I asked why, if I'm paying for that service is it suddenly ad sponsored. I guess that threw the guy a bit.

... After the call:

So they suggested finding a free DNS service, and agreed when I said "So basically Rogers official statement is basically 'put up or shut up'". Hmm.

OpenDNS also over-rides Firefox's default setting for domain guessing even with "typo correction" unchecked.

Has anyone found a way around this yet?

I think I'll write a letter to cbc.ca, they seem to have an interest in fighting for Network neutrality. I think this may interest them as well. I'd urge others to write to them and any other media and / or government official that may be interested in helping.
LunaC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 09:22 PM   #70
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
edit your host file and redirect rogers.com to 127.0.0.1 for windows XP windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Not a good idea. 127.0.0.1 is the TCP/IP loopback that some software apps and services use to communicate with other services on the same host.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 09:26 PM   #71
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Not a good idea.
It's harmless. It only redirects any requests for rogers.com back to yourself. Does not affect anything in a bad way on your machine.

However, the one bad effect is that you will no longer be able to monitor your bandwidth usage on the Rogers' site. Not really a good thing.
MarcP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 09:30 PM   #72
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Right you are. I'm just a stickler for not messing around with TCP/IP address assignments.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 10:15 PM   #73
TVJunkie

Default Formal complaint lodged

As per Alternate's advice I logged a formal complaint

on the 18th of July 2008 at approximately 10am easter daylight saving time Rogers made a change the redirection of DNS lookup. This redirection resulted in advertising commercials being displayed in the place of information that is normally displayed on that page. The advertising was related to the URL typed. Rogers decided that if a request is made that is outside of the primary DNS such as a virtual private network (VPN) they would instead of processing this request as all other Major ISPs do in accordance with the terms of the contract, they would redirect this to an advertisement of their choice. This type of web hijacking is both illegal and immoral and should be stopped. This is the foundation of internet filtering and redirection of intended requests and it is imperative that Rogers is not the gatekeeper or sensor of intended information.

The long term issues could extend from simple request redirection to the redirection of requests from auctions.yahoo.com being automatically redirected to www.********* or request to www.ccts-cprst.ca being redirected to rogers.com/feedback

Yes you can and will also be a victim of this form of URL hijacking unless you act with the full authority you have been given under the law.

So if others wish to express their concerns of this new form of censorship please follow Alternate's advice

Token government complaints site. Like the BBB.
http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/

Government representatives contact page..
http://www.canada.gc.ca/directories-...irect-eng.html
TVJunkie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-20, 10:48 PM   #74
serialbox
Rookie

Im going to go sit in front of your hardware store and for each customer that trips on the step before he opens your door I will try to sell them my hardware tools instead before they get inside the door.
Old 2008-07-20, 10:58 PM   #75
MarcP
Veteran

Or...

While you're making a phone call and make a mistake on the number, Bell will play an advertisement on the phone instead of the usual error tone.

Hey... Maybe Bell is thinking about this too.
MarcP is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
dns, hsi, net neutrality, rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.