Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2008-12-18, 12:56 AM   #121
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Anyone else still love the hell out of their iphone? I've had mine since launch and it still feels new.
Yeah I definitely love mine. One of those devices that I could live without, but don't want to!

Has its quirks, touch screen can be annoying sometimes - especially with texting and erroneous calls - battery life leaves much to be desired.

Co-workers and friends of the non-BlackBerry variety are still amazed at its capabilities.
Advertisement

Old 2008-12-18, 01:12 AM   #122
Nuje
Veteran

Every phone I had before (Chocolate, Shine, Moto Q, Razr, Krzr), I would always be trolling the kiosks at malls or Costco looking at the new models and trying to justify upgrading.

Since the iPhone, though - I don't even give them a second look. I look at the new Blackberry models only to see how they're trying to compete (not well, it would appear with the Storm - just ask David Pogue), but never have the urge to "upgrade".
Old 2008-12-18, 03:59 PM   #123
bkwa

I have had my i-phone for 2 weeks buy one ? I have is if iam surfing the net it takes the phone a long time to switch when I turn the phone sideways even tho the phone is sideways the display is still longways it is very hard to type this way and I find battery life not great I have to charge it nightly other than that I love the phone
Old 2008-12-18, 04:01 PM   #124
bkwa

Iam still learning how to use the keyboard to type,
Old 2008-12-18, 04:14 PM   #125
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwa View Post
I have had my i-phone for 2 weeks buy one ? I have is if iam surfing the net it takes the phone a long time to switch when I turn the phone sideways even tho the phone is sideways the display is still longways it is very hard to type this way and I find battery life not great I have to charge it nightly other than that I love the phone
Did you write that on the iPhone? Looks like you have yet to find the punctuation buttons
Old 2008-12-18, 05:14 PM   #126
NeilN
Veteran

Yep, love mine. The App Store is really the "killer app" for the iPhone.
Old 2008-12-18, 05:39 PM   #127
bkwa

yes I did write it from the phone and yep iam still learning
Old 2008-12-18, 10:40 PM   #128
Nuje
Veteran

I found that as soon as I stopped paying attention to how well I was typing, and instead, i just let the auto-correct function work, that "my" typing improved immensely.

Also, here's a tip that wasn't readily apparent to me (of course it's in the manual, but who reads a manual with an Apple product): To place the cursor anywhere in your text (like if I wanted to go back and correct that lower-case "i" in my first paragraph here), simply press and hold near where you want the cursor; you'll get a little "magnifying glass" and by rolling your finger a bit, you can get the cursor in the space you want.
Old 2008-12-23, 01:04 PM   #129
Latarnik69
Rookie

Unhappy iPhone could be expensive to operate, beware

Machine works very well, but FIDO started billing me for thousands of dollars, I was told by the Customer Service: "You had the equipment, you must pay!" My answer was "I have an equipment to commit rape, but I did not!"
I did not choose any data plan, nor I signed a waiver declining it. I thought that I will only pay for what I actually use. I was wrong. Many megabytes of something must have been pushed to my phone and disappeared into space! They could not figure it out what it was.
Letter to FIDO, ROGERS (mother Company) APPLE and local BBB (I needed a lawyer to find a registered office of a Company) helped. I received response immediately and ordered to cut internet connecting ability of my phone from G3, Wi-Fi works perfectly. I was credited well over $1,000 for alleged connections to the Internet. I am still fighting overcharging me for pesky PREMIUM TEXT MESSAGES (never ordered) and long distance charges for incoming calls. In my plan I am suppose to receive unlimited incoming calls, but FIDO thinks that it applies only to LOCAL INCOMING CALLS. They still can not find a document which I allegedly must have signed to agree to it. Since my callers must have paid long distance charges, why should I?
I will keep you posted how the situation developes. There are hundreds of dollars involved.
For anyone else without deep pockets, my advice is, disconnect G3 from Settings/General/Enable G3 - OFF, Data Roaming OFF Location Servicess OFF
That should protect you from your iPhone looking for data by itself, without your knowledge. Even if you do have deep pockets and can afford data plan, you may easily exceed your quota and end up paying hundreds of dollars a month, by allowing iPhone to push Location Services and your old emails continously.
After my alarm, Apple is working on better manual and its Dealers are promoting seminars on how to use iPhones, because according to the Trade Practices Act RSBC. (Rules of the Supreme Court of British Columbia): „Failing to tell someone a material factor about the product or service, is a deceptive practice.“
Nobody got mad enough to start a legal action, but if more users are victimised it may happened again what ROGERS lost for using "negative options sales" (offering few free channels on Cable TV and starting to charge after free period was over, without asking clients permission). That did not work and ROGERS was kicked out of the Province of BC. SHAW took over and never did it again. Class actions in Canada are rare, but may happen again, specially if there is a monopoly situation like with iPhone.
Old 2008-12-23, 02:00 PM   #130
NeilN
Veteran

Errr... this is very much a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary). $30 for 6 gigabytes/month does not mean you have deep pockets in my opinion. I've got all the data services turned on, push email from three accounts, regularly access the Net, and haven't come remotely close to 3 gigs/month, let alone 6.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:12 PM   #131
whitbyterry

I got my phone a month ago with a 500MB plan. No surprise charges, everything is in order according to my plan.
Old 2009-01-17, 12:06 PM   #132
ryanrider
Rookie

Sorry but I am completely new to "Iphones". Are they worth it? What is the price I would be expecting to pay monthly for it? What does it offer and what's the 3G?
Old 2009-01-17, 01:56 PM   #133
jean luc picard

hell yes it is worth it. still the coolest phone, although if you prefer buttons the palm pre looks delicious as well. i don't know when that will be available in canada tho.

as far as i know if you want to buy a new one you have to sign up for a $60 /month or greater 3 year plan. or you can buy a new or used one off of ebay/kijiji for $400-500, and go the pay as you go route with either fido, rogers, petro canada, or 711. rates are b/w $.20 per min and $.40 per min.

3G is the high speed (and high cost) gsm data network. you can download streaming video, emails, etc. at pretty nice speeds. if you are not interested in data, you can score an older 2g phone for less.
Old 2009-01-17, 05:20 PM   #134
jshel101
Veteran

Quote:
as far as i know if you want to buy a new one you have to sign up for a $60 /month or greater 3 year plan.
You can buy the iPhone on any rate plan. I bought my wife an iPhone a couple months ago. We signed up for a new 3 year contract and she is on a $25/month rate plan. she didn't want the data plan as she will just use wifi at home. She loves this phones. Besides the cell phone portion of it, she uses it everyday to watch tv shows she converted to iTunes. Best phone she has owned.
Old 2009-01-18, 10:35 PM   #135
jean luc picard

i stand corrected. was the phone still $199 (8 GB)?

Tags
gsm, iphone, owner, review