Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2008-08-26, 01:14 PM   #76
Nuje
Veteran

Quote:
What kinds of skin are u folks using to protect your phone? I had a few leather cases but I look like a truck driver at best so I think I'll opt for a screen skin.
Ever since I was pointed to the Invisible Shield / GuardFilm / BestSkinsEver, type of products (all pretty much the same 3M material with different brand names), I can't imagine going any other direction.

Even before I bought my iPhone, I had purchased one of these for it. They're something of a pain to apply (wet the skin, then position it on the phone and squeegee out the excess moisture), but once on, they don't move, peel, yellow, fade, cloud up, scratch, or scuff. I accidently toss my keys in my pocket with my iPhone all the time and it still looks like new. The skins also are so thin, that you can still use any dock, case or accessory.

And if you do get tired of it, you can peel it off and it leaves behind absolutely no residue. They're available online for around $25 for the Invisible Shield brand (ZAGG is the company), while other brands are less than $10 (less packaging and promotion).

I put the stuff on all of my ipods, phones, etc., and each has taken slight tumbles and emerged just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-08-27, 10:14 AM   #77
biggar

Default Corporate Users

Well, Rogers has released its corporate pricing for the iPhone - $399 for the 8 gig and $499 for the 16 gig. They really are nasty people you know. I am sure that Apple is upset with this differential between consumer and corporate rates. The pricing scheme hardly encourages corporate use. Then they figure that corporate users will just expense the phone!
Old 2008-08-29, 02:02 AM   #78
KnightFire
Rookie

Default Rogers iPhone - Which SIM card, Old or New?

Just got my black 16GB iPhone via a hardware upgrade, went to install my SIM card only to see one already in it. So which should I use, my old SIM or the new "red" (UICC) SIM card that came with it? I'm asking because I read somewhere that the older SIM cards could slow access to the 3G network some how.
Also... how to test my current 3G speed?

Answering part of my question... my new "red" SIM card is a "4000" SIM card... which I guess is required for visual voice mail?

Last edited by KnightFire; 2008-08-29 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Got More Info
Old 2008-08-29, 09:30 AM   #79
profets

regarding the sim card, people with old ones usually experience different behaviour. i've been using a 4 year old sim card for over a year with 3G phones and never had any problems. but i'd say safest thing to do is call up customer service and they can quickly change you over to the new sim card you have..

theres quite a few speedtest websites for testing speed.. cant remember any off the top of my head. quick google search should help
Old 2008-08-29, 02:38 PM   #80
Nuje
Veteran

I think there's actually an app from the App Store called "SpeedTest", which....well, I think you'll figure it out.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286356274&mt=8
Old 2008-08-29, 04:53 PM   #81
HIDEF

Location: Cisco 8642HD-Sony KDL60NX810-Denon AVR-890-Paradigm 7.1-PS3s-XboX360s-HDA2-BDT-310 3D-BDP-CX960-ATV2

Ive been using my 4 year old sim card from Fido in my new Iphone 3G and have had no problems at all.
Old 2008-08-29, 06:55 PM   #82
notsure
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggar View Post
Well, Rogers has released its corporate pricing for the iPhone - $399 for the 8 gig and $499 for the 16 gig. They really are nasty people you know. I am sure that Apple is upset with this differential between consumer and corporate rates. The pricing scheme hardly encourages corporate use. Then they figure that corporate users will just expense the phone!
Are you sure about this?

Up until about 1 hour ago I would have been firmly in your corner but I may have lucked out and just got off the phone with the only CSR that knows what's going on. After 5 store visits and 3 long phone calls with corporate reps. we determined the only way to fix my problems (getting an iPhone without getting gouged) would be to get the corporate flag removed from my account. So the last rep I get transferred to does the work to remove the flag from my account and seems puzzled as to why I want to do this (I have a great voice plan). I explain that I want the iphone, the promotional pricing ($299) on the 16GB iPhone and the 6GB/$30 deal but can't get anything close on the corporate account. She calmly tells me that everything I want should be possible because I'm 2 years into my contract and proceeds to process my order. On top of that she says I will be able to keep the same voice plan! She said there seems to be GREAT confusion around corporate plans and the iPhone. Thankfully she wasn't one of the confused people.

Apparently a new iphone should be here within 3-4 business days.

Update: I take it all back!!! I just got a call from Rogers Corporate and it seems they CANNOT process the order as submitted. I asked to speak to the rep that put in the order and I was told this is not possible. I guess I'll live out the last few remaining months on my contract and throw the last remaining of my Rogers services to the curb and be done with them FOREVER. Maybe one day I'll be able to get an iPhone and not have to deal with the incompetent fools at Rogers. Mr. Jobs, are you reading this?

Last edited by notsure; 2008-08-29 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 2008-08-30, 05:38 PM   #83
Jordie

New iPhone user here! The girlfriend and I went and picked up 2 of them last Saturday, mine was a hardware upgrade and my Girlfriends was a new contract. So far we're both very satisfied. My one question is about the Bluetooth, I remember reading that the iPhone is equipped with the Bluetooth chipset however you can use any Bluetooth accessories with it. I've tried to find the BT settings on the phone but have not had any luck.
Old 2008-08-30, 06:57 PM   #84
Nuje
Veteran

I think it's just under SETTINGS - GENERAL. There's a BLUETOOTH status button. Click the arrow (>), then you should get to an ON/OFF toggle, as well as it's "discover / pairing" screen.
Old 2008-08-30, 07:01 PM   #85
Nuje
Veteran

Oh, by the way, for those who are wanting a Call Log app, while it's not available at the ITAS (iTunes App Store), a new app called iLog has been released that is installable via the Cydia installer (for jailbroken iphones only, in other words).
(Why Apple chose not to include such a basic feature as "how long was that call" is a mystery.....very odd omission).

You'll need to have the iclarified.com source as one of your sources (click the MANAGE button on the bottom of the Cydia home screen. I think the address is www.cydia.iclarified.com.
Old 2008-08-30, 09:02 PM   #86
Jordie

Yeah I figured out how to get into pairing mode however my computer is unable to find it.
Old 2008-08-30, 09:26 PM   #87
NeilN
Veteran

Bluetooth on the iPhone has been given a lobotomy. It will only (reliably) work with mono headsets.
Old 2008-08-31, 12:25 PM   #88
Jordie

Thats really dissapointing.
Old 2008-08-31, 06:37 PM   #89
stationg

Question Call display?

I did a search of this thread and surprised I never found anything under "call display".

I heard call display doesn't work with the iphone 3g?

Founded or unfounded?

Thanks
Old 2008-08-31, 07:18 PM   #90
notsure
Veteran

I would guess it's unfounded since that's an option you pay for in your voice plan.

Tags
gsm, iphone, owner, review