Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2008-08-21, 01:06 PM   #61
kgeorge78

After a month with the IPhone, I must say it's slightly overratted.

The reception is horrible compared to my old Telus phone. Syncing and Mobile Me is currently a disaster. I'm paying way to much per month. I was in the states on the weekend (Michigan, no roaming, all local calls) and no carrier was found. I changed it to manual and picked up at+t and the reception was less than acceptable.

I almost, (almost being relative) regret picking up this phone. Anyone have $400 bucks so I can cancel my contract!? Just kidding but if things don't improve, I might sell the phone to cover the cancellation fees and go back to telus with my cappy motorola i80 which never failed me.

When I get my first bill, I'll think about it. Anyone else down on this phone (p.s. I'm an apple junkie, buy a new system every few months (Imac and macbook combo) for the past few years.

Not to be a hater but I'm not all too impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-08-21, 04:03 PM   #62
Lennox

Default concerned about data

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how much data the iphone would use when streaming online radio or using a program like simplemedia whereby you can stream up to 30 peoples itunes libraries to your phone over the data network. i would want to use this as my primary ipod and phone but do not want to overuse on a 6b data plan. if anyone can give my their experiences with either of the programs and how data intensive they are that would be great. i know 6gb is a good amount of data but what about streaming and such, thanks.
Old 2008-08-21, 07:20 PM   #63
TVJunkie

Lennox did you see the 30gb data offer. This is a much better deal (especially if you jailbreak and tether to your PC not that anyone here would ever do that)
Old 2008-08-21, 08:50 PM   #64
tenstu

Wow, sorry to hear that. You must have one of the 1-2% of phones having reception issue worldwide. According to the buzz, a couple of weeks worth of production might have had some units come off the line with lowered 3G reception. You should get a replacement from an Apple Store of through Rogers/Fido.

I have had mine since July 11, travelled pretty much across the country and in the northeastern US and have had a perfect experience all around.

Seriously, I think you have a bad unit. Get it replaced.

Stu
Old 2008-08-21, 09:51 PM   #65
kgeorge78

Ill call them tomorrow

(I hope they give me one as I dropped mine 20 times! and scratched the pss out of it)
Old 2008-08-21, 09:56 PM   #66
tenstu

I would not offer that info if calling - unless in all honesty you think that might have caused the issues. (Although I don't think that is likely). Might avoid going in to an Apple Store though as one the the guys at the Genius Bar might give it a look and wonder.

Drops and scratched rarely cause dropped calls.

Stu
Old 2008-08-21, 10:21 PM   #67
Lennox

TVJunkie

thanks for the reply. care to elaborate about the 30 gb offer and this tethering to the pc. i don't want to have to jailbreak/unlock the phone. i just am curious about the usage with the mentioned programs. thanks.

Last edited by Lennox; 2008-08-22 at 01:06 AM.
Old 2008-08-22, 03:41 AM   #68
polaris

Lennox, check this thread out. Its actually 6Gb for $30. 6GB will cover you very well. I have yet to go over a GB but Im not a heavy data user.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=88878
Old 2008-08-22, 10:22 AM   #69
darkwingZ24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennox View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how much data the iphone would use when streaming online radio or using a program like simplemedia
Well 6GB would equal 200MB/day. An average quality 56kbps stream quality would eat 15MB/hour so you would have to listen for over 13 hours/ day every day.

But a god quality 128kpbs would take 55MB/hour or just less than 4 hours per day. So keep an eye on your usage meter.
Old 2008-08-22, 11:31 AM   #70
James

hello I am just curious, for those that upgraded to the iphone 3G 16GB, how much did you pay $299 or $349, my understanding was that the phone was $299. When I picked up the phone they charged me $349 but gave me a $50 hardware upgrade coupon but today I received a notice that the iphone does not qualify for a hardware rebate. What gives?
Old 2008-08-22, 12:16 PM   #71
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
hello I am just curious, for those that upgraded to the iphone 3G 16GB, how much did you pay $299 or $349, my understanding was that the phone was $299. When I picked up the phone they charged me $349 but gave me a $50 hardware upgrade coupon but today I received a notice that the iphone does not qualify for a hardware rebate. What gives?
In most cases it has to do with the price of your voice plan. If your plan is over $30/month, then the price of the phone is (AFAIK) $349 - $50 credit. If your plan is $30 or less per month, the phone is $349.
Old 2008-08-22, 10:17 PM   #72
NeilN
Veteran

Default Rather Odd Functionality Omission

One rather odd omission from a functionality perspective is the inability to tap the location of an event and pull up a Google map. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this?
Old 2008-08-24, 11:45 PM   #73
TVJunkie

Default TimmyMe

Wow an iphone app that is usefull nearest tim hortons
Old 2008-08-25, 09:48 PM   #74
kgeorge78

So I called rogers today to complain about my horrible reception. They will send me a new phone on Friday. I guess I should buy a skin for this one!!

What kinds of skin are u folks using to protect your phone? I had a few leather cases but I look like a truck driver at best so I think I'll opt for a screen skin.
Old 2008-08-26, 02:40 AM   #75
nikeisevil

Default Love it

Sorry to hear that not everyone is happy with the iPhone. Mine has been great. The data plan is more than I need and I love the apps store. I've been a nokia user until now and I can't imagine owning another type of phone. Apple's got me for life. No problems with reception. Happy with the visual voicemail. Love the ease of the interface.

It rocks!

Tags
gsm, iphone, owner, review