Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2008-07-10, 03:30 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Rogers iPhone 3G Owners discussion and review thread

Well it arrives July 11th and I know many of us would love to have one of these babies. I for one can't afford one but hope to someday!

If you have get one, please tell the Digital Forum members what you think and your review!

Thanks in advance

Signed,
Sad in Toronto

(Folks wishing to discuss whether they should buy one or pricing please post on other threads. This thread is strictly for the lucky ones that have one!)
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-07-11, 01:51 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Deleted some posts. This thread is for anyone who actually has an iPhone 3G ! Non-owners please use existing threads to discuss the launch and other stuff about the iPHone.

EDIT: AT&T in the U.S. is saying the Apple activation server is not working. The result is that buyers are being sent home with the devices not activated.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-07-11 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Update. It looks like we won't be getting much feedback today.
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-11, 02:07 PM   #3
jaazzman

Haven't had much time to play yet...ok, no time, but my first complaint would be the fact that the enrollment system went down and after an hour in the store ZERO activations had been completed. You'd think Rogers would have been prepared for the rush...oh, wait, I forgot, this is Rogers we're talking about. I think I'm going to ask for my activation fee back...
Old 2008-07-11, 02:14 PM   #4
QuickSilver

jaazman it is actually Apple's servers that are down across the entire spectrum not just here in Canada.

Can u use the phone (apps) without the activation process or does it not allow anything to occur until it is activated through iTunes?
QuickSilver is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-11, 02:29 PM   #5
jaazzman

I didn't realize it was an Apple issue. That's even worse than it being a Rogers problem!!!! Since I spent almost 2 hrs getting the bloody thing and I should have been in the office, it's still in the box so I can't confirm whether you can do anything with it or not. I'm assuming you need to activate it before you can do anything with it, but I'm not positive on that.
Old 2008-07-11, 03:29 PM   #6
okcomputer

4h in a Rogers store, and I'm finally home.

With the iPhone plugged into my computer, and activation not working.

BLERG!
Old 2008-07-11, 03:36 PM   #7
pillcutter

I was told by Fido to uninstall itunes 7.7 and find and install v. 7.0

Anyone know a reliable source for this file?
Old 2008-07-11, 03:43 PM   #8
okcomputer

Also: no, you cannot do ANYTHING on the phone until it is activated. It's a brick right now.

The only thing you can do is make an emergency call.
Old 2008-07-11, 03:43 PM   #9
James

I have no idea how this happened but my phone activated itself even though I am unable to access the itunes store - like everyone else trying to activate there iphones I kept getting error code 9838 and error code 4 but all of sudden presto - my phone is activated. I am still unable to view my device via itunes thus still do not have the ability to do any syncing. At least my phone is usable though! Can download some apps as well.
James is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-11, 04:13 PM   #10
okcomputer

Apparently the thing to do is just keep clicking OK when the error pops up, then click on a playlist or something, and then click back on the iPhone in the Devices section - do not eject and unplug the iPhone each time.

It took about 20 times, but it finally worked for me and I am syncing my music and apps now.

I will post about the phone itself and service and such once I use it for a bit.

One weird sidenote: my iMac is making weird beeping and buzzing sounds every once in a while. The volume cannot be controlled with the volume buttons or anything. It's like a system error sound or something. Kind of spooky. Once the iPhone is sycned, I'll reboot and hope for the best.
Old 2008-07-11, 04:19 PM   #11
pillcutter

^^
Did you do this with itunes 7.7?
Old 2008-07-11, 06:04 PM   #12
okcomputer

Quote:
Did you do this with itunes 7.7?
Yes. I tried on an older version first on my PC, but it told me to upgrade, so I plugged back into my iMac running the newest version.
Old 2008-07-11, 06:16 PM   #13
technut
Veteran

Location: Victoria, BC (on Shaw TV & Internet, Telus home phone, Bell mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcomputer View Post
One weird sidenote: my iMac is making weird beeping and buzzing sounds every once in a while. The volume cannot be controlled with the volume buttons or anything. It's like a system error sound or something.
That's probably RF interference from the iPhone leaking into the audio system of the iMac. Same problem is common with the original iPhone, various BlackBerry's and other smartphones around various audio devices (amplifiers, speaker systems, conference phones, etc).

It is caused by the transmitter of the phone when it sends data over the cellular data network. If you move the phone a little further away from the iMac it should reduce the interference noise.
Old 2008-07-11, 06:47 PM   #14
pillcutter

I am delighted to say that I have been up and running for about an hour now. It activated without a hitch on my first attempt.

This machine is blowing my mind.

/sniff, tears of joy....
Old 2008-07-11, 08:11 PM   #15
Deckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by technut View Post
That's probably RF interference from the iPhone leaking into the audio system of the iMac.
One of the joys of GSM

Tags
gsm, iphone, owner, review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.