Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI vs. Component Connectivity

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  streetcredit 
#1 ·
I just decided to buy an HDTV from FutureShop. They wanted me to buy those expensive HDMI cables, but I did my homework and bought them from a company in Markham for around $10 each. I'm a StarChoice subscriber so I bought a StarChoice HD receiver. To my surprise when I got it home and tried to connect it, I realized that the StarChoice HD receiver doesn't have an HDMI port. Their tech support insisted that I was just as well off with component video cables and RCA audio cables. Are they telling me the truth or should I consider switching to Rogers or ExpressVu?

Sincerely,

Jalain

#4 ·
I've had my DVR 530 hooked up with both DVI-HDMI and component and there really isn't any difference. For audio, I use analogue (RCA red & white) for sound through the tv, and digital coaxial for sound through my 5.1 set-up.

#7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll stay with StarChoice. I haven't looked into it in detail, but I think they're the cheapest provider of the big 3. I would like to be getting digital sound, but I'll make do with the RCA cables. BTW the component video cables came with the receiver. I didn't have to buy them. Just bought a Sony KDL-46W4100 HDTV. Just came out on the market.

Thanks again,

Jalain

#8 ·
I really can't see much difference on my 55" sony sxrd with videotron cable, but for blu ray I would definately want hdmi for the audio and video....I would say that with hdmi and the videotron box I have, there are other issues that I've experienced that are a pain.... I believe it's a handshaking issue that requires me to reset the box. Overall hdmi should be simpler if you don't experience the problems that I've had; also, I would question why your cable or sat company is giving you a box with old technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.