U.S. DTV News & Discussion - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-12-28, 06:27 PM   #436
PrinceLH

It's a scary thought, that the U.S. federal government, with their eye on billions of dollars, would jeopardize the Over-The-Air industry. Taking the current bandwidth and taking 40% would really cause allot of problems, in the industry. They are proposing taking away channels 5 and 6 and turning it into an extension of the FM band. By doing so, they pretty much eliminate the use of channels 2, 3, 4. They then would have brought the current UHF structure down to around channel 35, making the OTA band, 7 - 35. That leaves 28 channels to fit where 67 channels fit, 2 years ago. How can they expect no adjacent channel interference, doing this? What about the tropo mess, when the weather is right? Is it worth the net 16 billion that the government would recoup, after they transitioned a number of channels for a second time? It's a bad idea.
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-28, 06:37 PM   #437
insider22

it's a very surprising move. They just took back channel 52-69.

FCC and IC have plan to develop White space technology like 802.22, but free spectrum is need and not only one channel. The best would be 2-4 channels of bandwith (for a maxium of 24 Mhz)...
Old 2011-12-28, 07:23 PM   #438
PrinceLH

In my discussions with Mr. Corbin, yesterday, he told me that many in the OTA community had discussed the possibility of stacking frequencies, in MPEG4, to save space. For an example, use channel 21(WWTI) add subchannels in HD, WWNY, WNYF, WPBS, CW, etc, in one channel. That is one possiblitity. Problem is, how many channels can you compress onto one frequency? Right now, I think their getting 4, in MPEG4, on Directv. For Watertown, you would need about 8, after you take into consideration the 3 PBS feeds. Of course you could downsize to 480i, like they do now, for two of them. Too bad they wouldn't do something similar here in Canada, with CTV, CTV2, CBC, SRC. It would make for less clutter, on the dial. Mr. Corbin also outlined how they were going to increase their power to cover more territory, from 24.9kw to 42kw, to eliminate their repeaters near Ogdensburg, NY.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:17 PM   #439
Walter Dnes

There's a hidden agenda here. The biggest "broadband" companies are ATT and Verizon. They also happen to have IPTV (FIOS and Uverse) as well as making money off of streaming content to mobile phones. Various American cablecos are also sitting on over $2 billion worth of spectrum. ATT is squatting on $10 billion dollars worth of spectrum that they're not using. This is not about telephony or broadband service. Instead, it's about shutting down their free OTA competition via a phoney "spectrum scarcity". See http://www.dailywireless.org/2010/06...trum-scarcity/
Quote:
Here are the facts from the FCC:
  • Verizon Wireless spent $2.8 billion for (currently unused) AWS frequencies and $9.36B for 700 Mhz — but at least they plan on using their 700MHz frequencies. Verizon completed technical trials of LTE in Boston and Seattle and is now moving on to “friendly user trials” in five cities.
  • AT&T (then Cingular) spent $1.3 billion for AWS frequencies in the 2006 auction and $6.64B for 700 MHz frequencies in 2008. AT&T also paid $2.5 billion in cash for 700 MHz licenses owned by Aloha Partners. AT&T now covers 100 percent of the top 200 markets. AT&T has spent over $10 billion for 700 MHz and AWS spectrum. They won’t use any of it anytime soon.
  • Cable operators spent $2.4 billion for (currently unused) AWS frequencies. Comcast and Time Warner then invested billions in Clear’s Mobile WiMAX frequencies at 2.6 GHz, which they are now using instead of their AWS spectrum. Cable operators are sitting on $2.4B in AWS spectrum – just speculating the price will appreciate. Consumers be damned.

Telcos paid over $15 billion for spectrum they are not using. AT&T is the worst offender, sitting on more than $10 billion in spectrum. The FCC seems to encourage this kind of speculation, and is doing the Telco’s bidding by opening more spectrum for corporations to sit on.
I'll be very blunt about this... ATT/Verizon and the regular cablecos would love to be able to charge $100 or $200 per month for basic IPTV and/or cable service, and up to $1000 per month for all-inclusive packages, in order to maximize profits. The only thing stopping them is this pesky thing called "OTA" (Over The Air) broadcasting. Unlike obscenely overpriced cable/IPTV, OTA is free. Not only is OTA preventing BDUs from raising their rates, some previous customers are now "cord-cutting" and dumping BDUs in favour of OTA.

The reaction by the BDUs has been to declare war on OTA free TV. They will not stop until every last free TV channel has been shut down, and the BDUs are in a position to gouge consumers even more than they are now. The manufactured "spectrum scarcity" is merely an excuse to rationalize their money grab.
Old 2012-01-03, 01:17 AM   #440
PokerFace

Thumbs down Without OTA access, I'll dump cable TV!

As a Canadian, I'm used to being deprived of "current" American cable TV programming. I survived the loss of DirecTV and I've only recently been granted access to clear OTA US signals because of the digital transition. I can't stand simsubs, so if I ever lose all of the major OTA Buffalo stations, I won't be able to tolerate paying my Rogers cable TV bill.

They can take away more of the spectrum and eventually my freedom to watch the pure broadcasts of the Buffalo stations, but once that happens, I'll simply cut the cord and live without Canadian cable TV.

I don't need Rogers, so if it wants to raise the prices above my comfort level, I'll just get my entertainment elsewhere.

Easy come, easy go.
Old 2012-01-03, 11:01 AM   #441
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
There's a hidden agenda here. The biggest "broadband" companies are ATT and Verizon. They also happen to have IPTV (FIOS and Uverse) as well as making money off of streaming content to mobile phones. Various American cablecos are also sitting on over $2 billion worth of spectrum. ATT is squatting on $10 billion dollars worth of spectrum that they're not using. This is not about telephony or broadband service. Instead, it's about shutting down their free OTA competition via a phoney "spectrum scarcity".
I think an even bigger fear is mobile DTV. Selling data for mobile video services has a huge potential for revenue and wireless providers don't want people choosing to receive any video for free OTA on their mobile devices.
Old 2012-02-16, 10:00 PM   #442
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Thumbs down Spectrum News

Looks like the vote to allow the FCC to buy back the spectrum from OTA broadcasters will go through on Friday.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ll_Package.php

http://www.rbr.com/tv-cable/incentiv...he-runway.html
Old 2012-02-16, 11:22 PM   #443
Jase88

I always hesitate to visit this thread...for fear of bad news.

Hopefully the vote goes against the FCC's plans.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:37 AM   #444
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie
Angry Here we go again!

Congress won't care about us little pilgrims with our antenna TV,.. it's all about the money and providing for the corporate empire. Cashing in on more bandwidth will provide needed revenues, so probably this is a done deal.

Our Industry Canada puppets will do whatever the FCC does.

So, what's the grand plan?
Sell off 600Mhz and move broadcast TV into the 7-24 channel range? or 2-34 range ?

If it's 7-34 then that would seriously congest the cross border spectrum and create much adjacent and co-channel interference.

Otherwise, it could cause broadcasters into mandatory channel sharing agreements,...
ie; x.1, x.2 at 720p or x.1, x.2, x.3, x.4 etc at 480i SD.
Old 2012-02-17, 07:44 AM   #445
Dave Loudin

Devil's in the details. In one version of the bill, there would be no practical way to have an auction until 2022. Plus, border areas would likely not have any auctions due to coordination requirements.
Old 2012-02-17, 08:20 AM   #446
someguy23475

It doesn't look good for OTA fans like us.
Old 2012-02-17, 10:03 AM   #447
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

If the auction isn't until 2022, that would give the FCC time to require all new tuners have H.264 decoding and fill the market with them. This has always been a bit of a chicken and an egg issue as the broadcasters can't switch to H.264 until most consumers can decode it, and consumers won't pay for H.264 support unless broadcasters actually start using it. Since most modern TVs likely have an average life expectancy of about 10 years (), by then most (but admitadly not all) people should have H.264 support IF, the FCC can get the regulations in place within the next couple years.

With H.264, several HD streams can easily be put on one 6MHz broadcast channel, allowing several broadcasters to share one transmitter.
Old 2012-02-17, 12:50 PM   #448
ota_canuck
Veteran

I can't see that an auction with border exemptions would be a viable option.

Is it possible that the current 6MHz broadcast channel format could become an entirely new spectrum format of 2Mhz or 3Mhz per channel? Each channel would then carry only one 720p broadcast.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:34 PM   #449
Dave Loudin

^^^^^^^^
Exactly! Sometimes, if you want something to go away, write up the requirements to look reasonable at first glance but be impossible to fully execute.

ATSC requires the full 6MHz band. Changing anything requires new tuners and/or decoders.
Old 2012-02-17, 03:35 PM   #450
ota_canuck
Veteran

Is this going to be a REPLAY of the DTV transition process to become a DTV II or an ATSC II broadcast spectrum standard?

ATSC standards were developed by the Grand Alliance, a consortium of electronics and telecommunications companies who have greatly profited from the resulting 6Mhz DTV broadcast and 6Mhz DTV receiver equipment development, the manufacturing and the equipment sales throughout the 6Mhz DTV transition.

So, my thought was 'What's the next generation' ?
A Grand Alliance II and ATSC II maybe? Another consortium of electronics and telecommunications companies who would again benefit greatly in developing a 2Mhz or 3Mhz bandwidth spectrum standard. Possibly some OTA/WiFi/mobile standards could be adopted to reduce the required channel bandwidth required within the television spectrum. Yes, it would entail significant equipment re-development, manufacturing and deployment that would again profit the big corporations that are involved in the development.

If this is the concept that congress is looking at, then this would not only cash in on the spectrum auction, but it would also correlate to a gain of significant jobs created within the development, manufacturing, importing, exporting and sales of a brand new north american terrestrial television system.

I would think that a complete overhaul and re-designing for efficient useage of the reduced terrestrial television spectrum standard would take at least 10 years from concept to deployment.

The bottom line is,.. whether the spectrum remains at 6Mhz per channel or is redesigned and reassigned for 3Mhz per channel,... they will still cut the terrestrial bandwidth one way or another to cater to the needs of the mobile industry.