Adding a SATA Drive To Pace HDPVRs. - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2010-01-02, 09:00 PM   #181

Whe have discussed this in October of 2009 in this thread (post 38 and on).

Normally, after power outage, PVR needs some time (few seconds) to go through startup sequence (boot) before it tries to access attached hard drive. Those few seconds are in normal circumstances enough for external hard drive to spin up and respond to PVR when asked to. It is possible that you have enclosure/HD combo that's too slow at spin up and thus PVR can't find external hird drive when asked.

Part of Calgary had 2-3 power outages yesterday and my PVR did not have problems detecting Western Digital PVR expander each time power came back (during one of them recording was in progres and when power came back after 7 minutes recording continued).
753951 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-01-02, 11:36 PM   #182
manhattan01

Thanks for pointing out the info 753951. I think what I'll do is just get the expander and use my 1TB for other purposes. That way, the expander should meet whatever the spin up expectations the Pace unit requires.
manhattan01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-08, 01:25 AM   #183
mgress
Rookie

Default Unable to format drive

I just bought sata drive and enclosure. After following instructions for hooking up to Pace, there is no option asking to format, instead it says "Unable to Format Drive" and an OK box.

Any ideas??
mgress is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-08, 11:08 AM   #184
Kritiker

mgress, we need details to help, for example, what enclosure are you trying to use.

Generally, most multi-interface (e.g., USB, eSATA & Firewire) external drives/enclosures will not work.

See other, earlier posts in this thread for details, especially starting about post 19 (on the first page).

Most people generally report success with eSATA-only external drives. Some eSATA/USB combo drives (Vantec enclosures) have been reported to work. Others have worked for a while and thenfailed.
Kritiker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-08, 08:09 PM   #185
RCube
Rookie

I just tried it with a Vantec NexStar3 2.5" eSATA/USB 2.0 enclosure(from like 2 years ago) and a Fujitsu 500gb 5400rpm hd from an apple macbook pro. So far so good, everything works! I can record and watch another show. No lag or anything, very quiet. Drive sleeps when Pace is off.

From what I have read, I think all the Vantec esata enclosure should work.
RCube is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-08, 08:15 PM   #186
mgress
Rookie

I figured it out, drive had a partition on it, deleted it and everything works.
mgress is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-10, 02:48 PM   #187
JP - Kelowna
Rookie

Default External eSATA hard drive for Shaw PVRs

I recently bought two external 1T eSATA hard drives and installed them on my 2 Shaw PVR sets.

On my Motorola DCT6416III the drive installed and formatted to 1T free space.

On my PACE TDC775D the same model 1T drive only formatted out to 662GB of free space, about 40% space less than the Motorola.

The external drive model I used is an Acomdata Puredrive 1T 7200RPM USB2.0/eSATA External 3.5 in Hard drive. I got them on sale for $99 each. When the PVR is turned off the external drive will spin down, however it will automatically spin back up when the PVR is turned back on.

I called Shaw's Technical dept, and they are aware of this problem. They told me that a firmware update is coming out for the PACE next month, however, they don't know if it will fix this issue.
JP - Kelowna is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-14, 11:35 PM   #188
boseman

Well my Pace 770 just dropped my Vantec SATA/USB connection. I thought it was the drive in the Vantec NST-360SU-BK so I swapped them out and still nothing. Hmm maybe its the chip set in the NST-360SU-BK so I bought a Shaw PVR Expander with the 1T Seagate drive and still nothing. The CSR scheduled a service call and it looks like my 770 has a broken SATA connection.

Now the question:
Once they swap out my Pace box with a replacement, will my NST-360SU-BK with its recording be recognizable or will the new PVR format and erase the external drive, hope not?
boseman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-15, 10:53 AM   #189

Hope all you want, but it will reformat it. DRM (copy protection) at its best, eh?
753951 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-12, 06:59 PM   #190
cmackenzie
Rookie

JP - Kelowna: What model number is your PureDrive, I have the PDHD1000USE-72 and my Pace box will not recognize it at all, I even phoned Shaw. This drive is also not recognized in Windows 7, though the box does not list Windows 7 compatability.
cmackenzie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-23, 05:45 PM   #191
DueNorth
Rookie

I am using a Vantec Nexstar 3 3.5IN eSATA USB 2.0 SATA Blue Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure W/ Power Adapter for my external enclosure. I don't recall what type of 500GB hard drive I have inside (bought over a year ago) but I think it is only 5400RPM.

I deleted the partitions on the drive and the Pace Summit detected it without any issues.

Just started using this setup so let's see how it goes...
DueNorth is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-02, 11:19 AM   #192
LiveOnLocation

I am also using the Alcomdata PureDrive PDHD1000USE-72. At first I wasn't able to get my Pace Whistler TDC770D to recognize the drive. I had the drive plugged into the back of the Pace for power.

I started to realize that the outlet on the Pace is switched and that it wasn't turning the Hard Drive on until after the Cable Box turned itself on, therefor it didn't recognize the Drive.

Once I plugged the Hard Drive into the wall and then rebooted my PVR it gave me the option to format the Drive and everything has been fine.

Happy so far.

Thanks for all the help.
LiveOnLocation is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-02, 11:20 AM   #193
LiveOnLocation

I should also mention that I have the same Pure Drive Hard Drive on my Motorola DCT 6412III and it is plugged into the switched power outlet on the back of the PVR and have had no issues. It recognized the drive right away annd has been working flawlessly.
LiveOnLocation is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-18, 11:51 AM   #194
sumfingwong
Rookie

Hey guys, found this forum by googling some problems I am experiencing with my new pace shaw box. I bought the Shaw Pace HD Receiver (DC758D) from London Drugs. My motorola pvr box pouched the other day.

I attached a 500GB harddrive in my brand new vantec enclosure.

I was able to connect the external drive to my Pace shaw box and format the drive. Cable worked, my new HD channels worked. I was able to watch the Flames game last night and record parts of it.

So now.. this is where the problems started. The box would randomly freeze, so I had to unplug the pace box (since the power button did not respond) This happened a couple of times last night, it would randomly freeze up and I would have to reboot the box. There was one time however, it froze and it came back up on its own and continued to record the show my fiance programmed.

This morning when I turned on the tv to check if everything was ok, it now shows dvr is disabled and to call a shaw number (when I press LIST)

Can anybody tell me whats going before I return this POS?

There is SUMFINGWONG with my shaw box!
sumfingwong is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-19, 01:18 PM   #195
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

The Pace may occassionally lose communication with the Expander. What Shaw will likely have you did is marry the 2 devices again. Unplug power to the DCT, then unplug the SATA cable and plug it back in making sure it goes all the way in and is seated properly. Pludg the DCT back in and this should go through some AxxA and CxxC codes on the display. It should not ask you to format the drive as it will recognize it as one it already can write to. Then wait about 2 minutes after powering on the unit and press List to ensure the drive is communicating and displaying the recorded programs in the list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.