Proper Disposal of Old Canadian Flag - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2008-04-08, 11:02 AM   #16
Ham.Clan

I do have a flag pole (obviously) and I take a tremendous source of pride in it.
I ensure that the flag is always in a proper state of presentation, never tangled or tattered.
To me, it is much more than a piece of fabric.
It is an affirmation of ideals and principles that make Canada the greatest Country in the world.
I am as proud to fly the flag as others here seem to be to disregard it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-04-08, 11:06 AM   #17
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
It is an affirmation of ideals and principles that make Canada the greatest Country in the world.
I thought that that's what hockey was for...

As it is, I'm proud to be Canadian, I'm as "real" and "true" a Canadian as anyone else, I love this country and I respect the flag to the extent that I would never deface it or do anything to it or with it that might be considered illegal. (I'm a law-abiding citizen.)

Beyond that, however, the flag is just a symbol and I don't venerate or worship symbols, be they religious, secular or rock 'n' roll (Zoso).
Old 2008-04-08, 11:13 AM   #18
reddwarf

Tom pretty much echoes my thoughts especially with the standing at sporting events for the anthem(s). Lame. And I don't remove my cap. I've never understood that one.

I had a couple of small flags, one Canadian and one American, and two larger ones, one older American and one Confederate, from when I was a child. I had a flag interest back then, not what they symbolize but more of a artsy design thing that different countries did. Anyways, while preparing to move last year I came across them and had to decide whether they get packed or get chucked. They got chucked in the garbage. No qualms or issues about doing that. They are simply pieces of fabric attached to either plastic or wooden sticks.
Old 2008-04-08, 11:34 AM   #19
Ham.Clan

Quote:
..however, the flag is just a symbol and I don't venerate or worship symbols, be they religious, secular or rock 'n' roll (Zoso).
Now I know you're crazy!

This is OT and probably suited to another thread, but I'm interested in where this discussion has lead.
My question is "How do you show you love your Country?"
Old 2008-04-08, 11:59 AM   #20
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Now I know you're crazy!
Well, okay, sometimes I do worship at the "Altar of the Guitar Gods"...

Quote:
"How do you show you love your Country?"
I show my love for my country by:
- abiding by its laws;
- participating in its democratic processes;
- appreciating the freedoms and opporunities it offers; and
- not littering. (I really hate people who litter.)

(I would add "respect its institutions" except that there are a number of them - such as the monarchy - that, in my opinion, have no relevance in today's reality and, consequently, do not merit respect.)

Perhaps, then, this is more "showing respect" than "showing love" for one's country but, well, that's how I demonstrate my admiration for Canada.

Last edited by eljay; 2008-04-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 2008-04-08, 12:16 PM   #21
Tom_Joad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham.Clan
My question is "How do you show you love your Country?"
First, I take her out for a quiet dinner, perhaps somewhere with an ocean view. Then we walk hand in hand along the beach, enjoying the sound of the waves caressing the beach sands while gazing upwards at the twinkling stars.

Then it's back to the room for a glass of wine and some mood music. We slow dance for a while, and I whisper how beautiful she looks. Then, when the passions can be contained no longer, we retire to the bedroom for a marathon session of lovemaking. Worn, spent, and in the warm safety of each other's embrace, we fall sleep and await the kiss of dawn.
Old 2008-04-08, 01:00 PM   #22
Stargazer

Hmm... that's a strange way to interact with a flag, but hey, if it rocks your boat.... .
Old 2008-04-08, 05:24 PM   #23
JesseJ
Veteran

Quote:
I don't even like having to stand for the national anthem at hockey games, which to me seems unnecessary. It's a sporting event, not a call to arms. But this is how countries establish mindless nationalism and mass subordination to authority.
While I disagree with "mass subordination to authority" I do think anthems are a waste of time. Have them during meaningful ceremonies, and not every time someone is about to take the field. I thought they were started during WWII, but I could be incorrect in that assumption.

Quote:
However, the tradition of performing the national anthem before every baseball game began in World War II.[3]Today, the anthem is performed before the beginning of all NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL games (with at least one American team playing), as well as in a pre-race ceremonies portion of every NASCAR race.
Old 2008-04-08, 06:00 PM   #24
Tom_Joad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ
While I disagree with "mass subordination to authority" I do think anthems are a waste of time.
I think I was referring more to my elementary school days, when we were forced to stand for the anthem at the start of each school day. There was some high controversy when a student refused to stand, citing his religious objection (or, rather, his parents' objection). They were Jehovah's Witnesses. Also, I've seen the dirty looks some folks get when they refuse to stand for the anthem at a game.
Old 2008-04-08, 06:07 PM   #25
magnet

Just think the pride that the Raptors must feel when Oh Canada is played in San Antonio!

National athems serve no purpose (other than teaching the spectators have to sing their national athem) at professional sporting events... they should be phased out... just like at the movie theatres.

Does that mean they could replaced with 15 minutes of pregame, in-theatre advertising too?
Old 2008-06-06, 01:52 PM   #26
Ham.Clan

I have just now received a reply from Canadian Heritage /State Ceremonial and Corporate Events Directorate regarding this topic.
My original email to them was April 7th.
Two months to receive this reply! (insert government efficiency comment here)

Quote:
Thank you for your question.
The rules of flag etiquette stipulate that when a flag becomes tattered and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way by burning it privately.
If this method is not available, you may wish to contact a local flag retailer as they may be willing to dispose of them for you.
Thank you for your interest in the National Flag of Canada.
Old 2008-06-06, 01:56 PM   #27
hugh
Member #1

Well our topic is now complete!
Old 2008-06-06, 04:28 PM   #28
Ricketty Rabbit

Amen. Oh, and God save the Queen.

Ricketty
Old 2011-11-09, 10:06 PM   #29
muffypaws
Rookie

Thumbs up old canadian flag

I'm a royal Canadian Legion member
and you did exactaly what you are surpose to do with an old flag
now maybe you can help me do you know how to preserve an old flag
Old 2012-03-24, 07:25 PM   #30
Bobby44
Rookie

Default It is a matter of respect!

Do not stand for the National Anthem. I bet you stand for the damn fights. This attitude is becoming the norm. The anthem and the flag are symbols of the sacrifice, struggles, debates, etc. that forged our nation and led to the lifestyle we enjoy today. I would be the last to tell anyone they must participate in a respectful manner. I am also the first one to tell you " If you do not want to have an outward show of respect for your country -- you probably do not REALLY have any respect for it."

That respect continues for the flag afterr it's presentable life has past. Private burning is good. Today our flag is made of synthetic fibre and could also be recycled. If you have to put it in the garbge - at least put it in a baggy to keep the slop of off it.

In another time we could take the flag to the post office. All the flags (Union Jacks) would go to Ottawa and be destroyed there. Now a true postal employee is hard to find and they would give you a blank stare.

Gettin' old I guess!