Pace Tahoe (775D) HDPVR owners' thread - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with the Pace Tahoe 775HD PVR?
Very Satisfied 44 28.95%
Somewhat Satisfied 52 34.21%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 26 17.11%
Very Dissatisfied 30 19.74%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-26, 09:22 PM   #136
lindend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscreenbob View Post
I'm assuming it did spin down cause I could only rewind it to the spot where I turned the unit on.
I'm afraid not. This is just how TV Guide works. If you go into standby, it will stop recording.

Quote:
Giddy with excitement(time to get a life) I went into the diagnostic screens, went to 23, the HDD part and it says number of spin downs zero.
That particular spin down field is spin downs due to the drive overheating. In this case, its good that the count is 0!

What you want to do is go to the main DVR diags page and see the standby spin down count.

Quote:
If current temperature said 77 at the time you would think the HDD had definitely spun down?
Don't think you can safely infer that.
Advertisement

Old 2008-04-27, 10:51 AM   #137
lindend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
Motorola.
There are multiple variables here that could explain the different behavior.

1. The Pace boxes are running a newer version of TV Guide (with some TV Guide bug fixes in this area).

2. There may be some Motorola specific behavior that causes temporary false disk full messages to appear (I can't comment on these).

What I can definitively talk about is recovery procedures if/when the false disk full happens on a Pace box. Yes, there are circumstances where it might be eliminated by deleting a recording. But he vast majority of the times will require a reboot to get TV Guide out of this state.
Old 2008-04-27, 11:47 AM   #138
bigscreenbob

Thanks Lindend , total drive spin downs are at 8.
The unit is way quieter also when it does spin down.
Would still like to know why it doesn't spin down at nite more often cause we never pvr stuff in the middle of the nite but not a biggie.
Old 2008-04-27, 03:16 PM   #139
lindend

Quote:
Would still like to know why it doesn't spin down at nite more often cause we never pvr stuff in the middle of the nite but not a biggie.
Depending on the series recordings you have, the guide can write to the HDD while in standby to updated guide data/series recordings etc. This will prevent the drive from spinning down.

We are also investigating some other scenarios which may or may not be bugs with the drive spinning down. I will update everyone when I have more info.
Old 2008-04-27, 05:52 PM   #140
jumpy27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post
There are multiple variables here that could explain the different behavior.

1. The Pace boxes are running a newer version of TV Guide (with some TV Guide bug fixes in this area).

2. There may be some Motorola specific behavior that causes temporary false disk full messages to appear (I can't comment on these).

What I can definitively talk about is recovery procedures if/when the false disk full happens on a Pace box. Yes, there are circumstances where it might be eliminated by deleting a recording. But he vast majority of the times will require a reboot to get TV Guide out of this state.
So you have to unplug it from the wall to reboot it? Will this bug be corrected soon? It would be annoying if you wanted to record something, you get the false disk full message, and you have to pull the plug (losing the guide info) and wait for the guide to reload to start the recording.
Old 2008-04-27, 06:03 PM   #141
loracweb

The motorola units will resume/start recording after a reset as soon as they get the time from the cable provider. It isn't dependant on the guide. I'd assume the pace units are the same.
Still, having to reset a unit and lose your guide data is annoying.
Old 2008-04-27, 10:25 PM   #142
lindend

Quote:
So you have to unplug it from the wall to reboot it?
You can reboot the box via the front panel in diagnostics. Hold down the info and select buttons while on the front diagnostics page (not the dashboard).

Failing that, if you have the box plugged into a UPS or power strip, you don't need to disconnect the power cable to reboot.

Quote:
Will this bug be corrected soon?
I'm afraid I can't comment on if/when TV Guide will fix bugs in their software. Sorry.
Old 2008-04-28, 01:11 PM   #143
Nikanj
Rookie

Default Pace Unit Freeze-Up

Twice in as many weeks my Pace unit has 'frozen' after accessing the message area. The Shaw message text appears but when I try to exit the screen or delete the message, the remote signal indicator on the unit's display remains lit and no commands from either the remote or the box will function (even the power button). The unit remains fixed on the message display.
The only solution I have found is to disconnect the power source and reconnect. So far I have then been able to access the messages and delete them without the unit freezing up again. Any ideas?
I've noticed that there have been, on occasion, extraneous ASCI characters at the tail end of a message (e.g. +&U) so perhaps Shaw is not formatting them properly for the Pace unit, but I can't be sure if this is the root cause as I don't recall if the extraneous characters were present on other messages I have received but did not cause the freeze-up.
Old 2008-04-28, 01:31 PM   #144
mgress
Rookie

Default Pace 775D and Panasonic TH50PX75

Well after much frustration with the Pace box and with some helpful information on this website, I finally solved the problems with my poor remote control performance with the Pace box.

Turns out there is considerable interference with the TV. I tried adjusting settings on TV and waited for the TV to warm up, but the best working option is to place the RF extender cable behind the tv on the wall, then the remote seems to work the best.

Any others have this problem with the TH50PX75?
Old 2008-04-28, 02:22 PM   #145
sbrown17

Default Messages

Is anyone else experiencing this issue. Since I got the PACE PVR, I have two messages. The message (mail icon) comes on the display, I go in and delete the two messages and anywhere from 5 secs to a minute, the message icon re-appears and the same two messages are back in the message box. I can do this over and over and over and they keep coming back.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks
Old 2008-04-28, 03:28 PM   #146

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Any others have this problem with the TH50PX75?
This happens mostly to people with LCDs, however, plasmas have also caused issues with some STBs and other devices, depending on model and placement.

I assume you've read the following regarding possible solutions:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=74141 Your model number was mentioned in that thread.
Old 2008-04-28, 05:57 PM   #147
pwh2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrown17 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing this issue. Since I got the PACE PVR, I have two messages. The message (mail icon) comes on the display, I go in and delete the two messages and anywhere from 5 secs to a minute, the message icon re-appears and the same two messages are back in the message box. I can do this over and over and over and they keep coming back.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks
I am experiencing the exact same issue. So far I just ignore it.
Old 2008-04-28, 06:14 PM   #148
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

sbrown17: This is currently being investigated as a known issue right now. There is no ETA for a fix but it has been passed on. The Pace DCTs seems to be picking up the messages as new every 2-5 minutes where the Moto ones recognize it has already received that particular message and does not receive it again.
Old 2008-04-28, 06:26 PM   #149
sbrown17

Thanks for that info, was starting to think maybe I was the only one seeing this, and that was the reason no one was replying
Old 2008-04-28, 06:27 PM   #150
sbrown17

Would you happen to know if Nanaimo should now be all digital> I thought last week when the new channels were setup, my guide channel was gone, but yesterday noticed it was back. I have had to power off the Pace PVR the last couple of days, doing some electrical work in the living room. Could that change anything?

Tags
775hd, hdpvr, pace, pvr, shaw