Do cell providers keep records of text messages sent? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-03-10, 06:44 PM   #1
TMWLFPCK
Rookie

Default Do cell providers keep records of text messages sent?

I'm on MTS, wondering if they keep records of texts sent or the numbers sent from/received to.

I don't see anything on my statement. I got a bunch of nuisance texts with no return number I'd like to deal with.

I'm way of find who sent/received texts on an account.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-03-10, 07:42 PM   #2
Deckster

Very doubtful.

There would be a lot of data to store, and it would be a huge privacy issue if for some reason they disappeared.
Old 2008-03-12, 08:49 AM   #3
asif9t9
Veteran

I think this was on the news recently. Some mayor in the US got caught sending texts to a lady. And it came out in the news that the cell companies keep texts for a week or two, or a month for the purpose of being able to send the text at a later time in case the receiving phone is off.
Old 2008-03-12, 11:41 AM   #4
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckster View Post
There would be a lot of data to store, and it would be a huge privacy issue if for some reason they disappeared.
Technically, there would be no problem for anyone if they "disappeared". If they were "copied" (even with the originals intact), then that would be a huge privacy issue.
Old 2008-03-12, 03:01 PM   #5
Yaamon
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230

Yes text message Im sure the cell networks keeps a log and content not sure after what period when they get deleted.

It was the mayor of Detroit that got caught recently.

asif9t9 that's right as when I'm traveling and turn the phone off during flights, when I get to my destination and turn on the phone all sent messages then get delivered.
Old 2008-03-16, 06:43 PM   #6
Nemnoch

Most companies do keep a reconrd of text messages sent/recieved from your account.
THey will only access them in the case of a legal request to do so. Much like landline providers keep records of the incoming/outgoing local calls.
It's getting the legal documents needed to access them that's the stumbling block for most people.

Nem, who doesn't like stumbling blocks much.
Old 2008-03-18, 01:26 PM   #7
PrimeBane
Veteran

I know for a fact that Telus does.
Old 2008-03-18, 02:46 PM   #8
bgclarke
Veteran

I looked at my Bell cellular bill and it lists all of the text messages I have sent or received.

My bill does not show who they went to or came from, but it would make sense that Bell would have that info stored somewhere for X amount of time.

In the current missing persons case here in Ottawa, it was reported in the news that a bunch of text messages were exchanged between the missing person and the other party. The content of the discussion was noted by the father of the missing student, so the contents are kept in Rogers case. The missing person has a Rogers cell.
Old 2008-03-19, 07:22 PM   #9
Paolo
Veteran

my girlfriends uncle was murdered before i even knew her... she said that when the famiily had to attend court to sue/charge the murderrer, they had a print out of the last text messages sent to and from the victums phone before the time he died, they were reading them aloud in the courtroom