Starchoice Dish/LNB applied to TRUE FTA - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2009-07-17, 11:37 PM   #16
dtvinvictoria

You should be able to detect a signal but not be able to scan in any signals on the Star Choice satellite because Star Choice uses DCII as opposed to DVB. You will probably want to point your dish to 97W, 101W, or 123W as those satellites have the largest number of free channels.

Kbox isn't bad it is mainly designed as a hack box but it works well for FTA. I have the prodigy model and that particular model has blind scan capabilities as well as PVR capabilities with a USB hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-02-01, 01:37 PM   #17
Simonizer

So with a regular FTA dish with a linear LNB (and not the Shaw Direct dish they will provide me), can I watch Shaw Direct programming with a Shaw Direct receiver if I subscribe? Or is the linear LNB available in specialty store not compatible with Shaw's linear LNB because of the Digicipher / DVB standards difference, and I have to install the Shaw Direct dish?
Old 2010-02-02, 08:30 AM   #18
mr weather
Veteran

The Digicipher decoding is done by the receiver not the LNB.

The Shaw Direct LNB is special because it has two feedhorns to receive both Anik satellites at the same time (when affixed to the elliptical dish).

You could certainly take an active Shaw Direct receiver and hook it to your single linear LNB and it would work. The only problem is you'll only be able to aim it at one satellite at a time. FTA hobbyists sometimes strap multiple LNB's together so they don't have to turn the dish all the time to receive multiple satellites. Unfortunately, that only works when the satellites are more than about 5 degrees apart. The Anik satellites SD uses are less than 4 degrees apart. Hence the special LNB they use.
Old 2010-02-02, 11:56 AM   #19
Simonizer

Thanks for the response. I have a motorized dish, so to get both feeds will not be a problem!
Old 2010-02-02, 09:13 PM   #20
dtvinvictoria

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I have a motorized dish, so to get both feeds will not be a problem!
You will need to move the dish with an FTA receiver as the Starchoice receiver does not have dish moving capabilities.
Old 2010-02-03, 08:27 AM   #21
mr weather
Veteran

That's correct. What I did as an experiment was use my Coolsat 5000 for motor control and connected an old DSR-405 to the Coolsat via the loop out. System worked fine but I could see it becoming a pain very quickly having to motor between the two satellites whenever I changed channels on the Star Choice box.
Old 2010-02-03, 10:25 AM   #22
classicsat
Veteran

You can do 4 degreess with indivudual Ku LNBFs on a larger dish. There is a mount for a 97/101 system, sold as part of a system make for the religions channels on those satellites (G19/AMC4), called "Glorystar".
Old 2010-02-03, 11:17 AM   #23
Simonizer

Haha, funny, I thought about that last night... how I was going to move the dish if I wanted to switch between the two Shaw birds, and now you guys mentioned it here.

I was pretty sure that the Shaw receiver couldn't move the dish, but now I know for sure. At least most of the HD channels are on 111, and I only really watch HD nowadays.
Old 2010-02-05, 01:32 PM   #24
Simonizer

So I'm trying to use my own motorized dish. I'm able to get other linear FTA signals on other birds, but can't get a good signal on the Shaw Direct receiver.

Do I need to change the LNB setup for the Shaw Direct reciever somewhere (something about vertical stack and such?)
Old 2010-02-06, 12:12 PM   #25
mr weather
Veteran

Your DVB receiver won't even be able to detect SC transponders but I believe there are a couple of DVB transponders in use on both Anik satellites. You'll have to check lyngsat to see the particulars (frequency, symbol rate, polarization).

Also, if you're connecting your SC receiver to your DVB receiver via the loop out keep in mind the DVB receiver will dictate the polarization until you turn it off, and even then some receivers won't pass the LNB signal unless they're turned on.

You'll also have to determine which channels are on which satellite (which information is on lyngsat as well).
Old 2010-02-06, 12:55 PM   #26
Simonizer

Well, even the linear FTA signals on other birds I'm getting with my FTA dish aren't that strong in signal quality.

I've started to assemble the Shaw Direct dish they gave me, and I've noticed that the LNB sits lower by about 2.5 inches on the Shaw Direct dish than the FTA dish I have. But I guess the Shaw Direct dish accounts for this in the dish elevation and skew settings, because the fact remains I am still trying to get 107 / 111 with either dish, and they are both located within the Clarke Belt, which I can already hit with my motorized FTA dish.

I think my FTA dish is too small. I thought it was a bit bigger, but it is only 20 inches wide by 17 inches high. I guess a 24 inch dish size minimum is required (most recommend at least a 30 inch dish for linear FTA). The Shaw dish is 33 inches by 17 inches, so it's the same height as my FTA dish. Is the width more important than the height when trying to acquire signals? I know it is if you're trying to get multiple birds at the same time, but with a motorized setup and only 1 LNB, it may not be as important I'm thinking.
Old 2010-02-07, 01:13 PM   #27
Simonizer

Ok, so I was ready to mount the Shaw Direct on my motorized setup, and the thing wouldn't fit properly on the motor! So I went out and bought a bigger elliptical dish, and now I am watching the Superbowl pre-game on CBS HD without any simsubs via my FTA dish tuned into my subscribed Shaw Direct HD receiver!
Old 2010-02-08, 08:26 AM   #28
mr weather
Veteran

Good job! And you'll probably find the signal will be more consistent (i.e. fewer dropouts) with the bigger dish.
Old 2010-02-08, 02:56 PM   #29
Simonizer

Yes, I was thinking about upgrading anyways for FTA purposes before I bought Shaw, now I have a nice big dish with the Invacom Quad LNB, and I'm all set.

So since I have an FTA receiver and the Star Choice one, do I need a multi-switch to connect both receivers at one time?
Old 2010-02-08, 04:28 PM   #30
dtvinvictoria

Quote:
o since I have an FTA receiver and the Star Choice one, do I need a multi-switch to connect both receivers at one time?
You should be able to slave the Star Choice receiver off the FTA one if your FTA unit has a "loop out" connection. The only issue with this set up is the FTA receiver must be turned off in order for the SC to get a signal.