Is it too early to buy Blu Ray? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2008-01-30, 04:14 PM   #31
oilblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post
There was a report recently on where HDM stands right now compared to where DVD was at the same time since release and it clearly indicated that HDM was ahead. If I trip across it again I will post the link.
Might have been this one from VideoBusiness: "High-def DVD grows at faster pace than standard" (FYI, the article is on the page after the ad...seems that's what VB does as I couldn't find an alternative link method).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-01-30, 04:41 PM   #32
JohnnyG
Veteran

I'm sure the "war" has helped bring the hardware prices down faster, which has then helped sales. The first DVD player I bought was $700, and that was probably at least a couple years after launch.
Old 2008-01-30, 09:06 PM   #33
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstein View Post
One thing that bothers me is the blue tooth remote. Apparently I won't be able to use my Harmony remote to control the PS3 blu ray player. I will have to shell out an additional $40.00 to buy a conventional styled Sony blue tooth remote.
http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113

Quote:
Also, I currently am using a Marantz DVD player and am not sure if the PS3 will play normal dvds with the same quality as the Marantz.
The PS3 is actually quite good as an upconverting DVD player. Even better than the low end HD DVD players.

Quote:
I am also wrestling with the issue of whether I should buy the 40GB version or the 80GB. So far as I can ascertain, the differences other than drive capacity are 2 additional USB ports. As long as the Blu Ray player is identical and so long as both models receive the Profile 2 update, I am leaning towards saving the $100.
Unless you intend on playing PS2 games just save the $100... You can always put the saved money towards buying that IR dongle you need, a USB hub if you need more ports and a bigger hard drive if you need more room (yes, this is not Microsoft, Sony actually shows you how to change the HDD yourself in the instruction booklet).

Old 2008-01-31, 08:31 AM   #34
Lumberjack16

Smile

I'm using the IR dongle from the Nyko link above, with my Harmony remote with great results. Works wonderfully.

And I'm also very happy with the DVD upconversion of the PS3. Plus, provided you be able to connect your PS3 to the internet (via cable or Wifi), then you'll be upgradable to 2.0.

You can't go wrong with a PS3!
Old 2008-01-31, 10:58 AM   #35
alstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack16 View Post
I'm using the IR dongle from the Nyko link above, with my Harmony remote with great results. Works wonderfully.

And I'm also very happy with the DVD upconversion of the PS3. Plus, provided you be able to connect your PS3 to the internet (via cable or Wifi), then you'll be upgradable to 2.0.

You can't go wrong with a PS3!
I am a bit confused about the term "dongle". From what I could determine the Nyco remote works through a USB connection. Do you know if the Sony remote does so also? As far as teaching the harmony, normally what I do is just list the equipment I am using, and the Harmony web site sets everything up. How would I set up the Harmony to emulate the Nyco. Would I have to teach it commands?

I am almost 100% certain that I will buy the PS3. Too bad the 5 free dvd promotion ends today. maybe I'll wait until they come up with a new incentive.

Thanks for your help.
Old 2008-01-31, 11:03 AM   #36
alstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113

The PS3 is actually quite good as an upconverting DVD player. Even better than the low end HD DVD players.

Unless you intend on playing PS2 games just save the $100... You can always put the saved money towards buying that IR dongle you need, a USB hub if you need more ports and a bigger hard drive if you need more room (yes, this is not Microsoft, Sony actually shows you how to change the HDD yourself in the instruction booklet).

" The PS3 is actually quite good as an upconverting DVD player. Even better than the low end HD DVD players"

My Marantz dvd player doesn't upconvert. I would be satisfied if the regular (480P I think) image on the PSP3 is eqal to my marantz which I could then retire.

BTW, My HDTV is a 57" Toshiba which displays a maximum 1080i. I am already using the DVI for my Satelite HD PVR. Am I correct in assuming that I can use component inputs for the PS3 to my TV?
Old 2008-01-31, 12:24 PM   #37
Icemann
Veteran

The Sony remote works via Bluetooth which is why Harmony remotes cannot control the PS3. The IR dongle from Nyko allows you to learn the commands from the accompanying Nyko IR remote that comes with the dongle. If someone has posted the commands into Harmony's database then you won't have to learn anything.
Old 2008-01-31, 01:03 PM   #38
U

I have a 57" 1080i Toshiba as well... Waiting for an affordable 60" Plasma.

I actually bought one of those HDMI switches. I have the BEV HD PVR, the PS3 and an HD-A2 connected to it. Works like a charm. I suppose you could go component but there might be some gotchas with copy protection, I'm not sure...
Old 2008-01-31, 01:32 PM   #39
xtremesniper
Rookie

I for one am waiting until one format is officially decided on once and for all. I know it seems like it's going to be Blu-Ray, but deep down inside I just wish it was HD-DVD.

Regardless, I think you have nothing to worry about in terms of selection of movies. The library is going to do nothing but grow from here on out. The only thing I'm not sure about yet is:

1. Will Sony release some cheaper players?
2. How about some players that have profile 2.0?

I would consider the PS3 but I would be getting it basically for the player, since I have my Xbox 360 for games and I have no interest in any games that are exclusive to the PS3 at this point... It all comes down to price. If the PS3 is the cheapest with the most features (and expandability) then I'll go for it.
Old 2008-01-31, 01:40 PM   #40
darrylr
Veteran

You should check out the Blu-ray players forum to see the players that were annouced at CES08. There are 1.1 and 2.0 players and some in the under $300 to $350 range.

Sylvania (Funai) NB500 player Profile 1.1 ("under $300" in Q2 of this year)
Phillips BDP7200 player Profile 1.1 ($350 MSRP due in April)

Announced Profile 2.0 players:

Panasonic BMP-BD50
Sharp BD-HP50U
Old 2008-02-10, 01:19 AM   #41
alstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destato View Post
I can't say how the PS3 compares to your Marantz player directly, but I would rate it's DVD upconverting capabilities as above average. There are better upconverting players out there for sure, but I don't have any complaints with the PS3's quality in that regard. I have the LOTR special edition DVDs and I've watched them all on the PS3 with great results.

I don't know what Futureshop or Bestbuy's return policy is on game consoles, but it might be worth your time to find out. If there are no strings attached, then buy a PS3, rent a few movies/games from the local Blockbuster, try it out for a week and make your decision then.
Hi
I read an article which discussed how if one used component video connections from a blu ray player that the signal would automatically downconvert to 480p when playing a blu ray dvd. My Toshiba HDTV is several years old and only has one DVI connection. I was planning to connect the PS3 via component, since I am using the dvi connection with my HD PVR from Bell Expressvu. I was unable to find anything on the Sony site that mentions this. Is it correct?
Old 2008-02-10, 03:23 AM   #42
jumpy27
Veteran

I believe that is only true for upconverting SD DVD's. The studios so far have chosen to not activate the flag that tells the player to only output 480P from component on Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles. Otherwise there would be many angry owners of the early HDTV's that have component inputs only.
Old 2008-02-10, 09:03 AM   #43
alstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
I believe that is only true for upconverting SD DVD's. The studios so far have chosen to not activate the flag that tells the player to only output 480P from component on Blu-ray and HD-DVD titles. Otherwise there would be many angry owners of the early HDTV's that have component inputs only.
If that is the case, I have no problem. I am fine with not being able to upconvert sd dvd's. As long as I will be able to watch Blu-Ray dvd's in 1080i (the limit of my current tv), I'm a buyer. I'm kicking myself however for missing out on the recently expired promotion of 5 free Blu-Ray dvd's with the purchase of the PS3 (or other Blu-Ray players).
Old 2008-02-10, 09:09 AM   #44
jvincent

HD will also be downconverted over component if the ICT (Image Constraint Token) is set. To date no titles that I am aware of have turned on the ICT.
Old 2008-02-10, 09:49 AM   #45
alstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
HD will also be downconverted over component if the ICT (Image Constraint Token) is set. To date no titles that I am aware of have turned on the ICT.
Thats a scary prospect. I hope they hold out for a few years. By that time I may have replaced my current TV.