The DPP44 switch - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2009-04-24, 04:31 PM   #106
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn3 View Post
Hi guys

Will it matter if the cable from the power inserter to the switch is say 20' feet long? I want to install the DPP44 in the basement but power it from the main floor.

Also I read my 9242 should be plugged into the power inserter instead of the switch.....dose this port put out more power... Is that why?

Thanks guys
Glenn
The RG6 from the #1 out port of the DPP44 goes to the input of the power inserter which can sit right behind your 9242. Then connect a short section of RG6 from the output of the power inserter to the separator for the 9242.

I am not sure the max. distance for the power inserter but up to 50 ft. should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-04-24, 04:49 PM   #107
Glenn3

thank-you
Old 2009-05-11, 11:44 PM   #108
tazzsterk2e
Rookie

Default DDP44

Hello All..
First I would like to thank all of you for the great info about the DPP44.
Let me give you the inventory of what I have and the problem that is occuring.
I have a 9242, 2x3100 and 4100. DPP Twin LNB going to a DPP44. Separator used for the 9242. ( I thank God that I was able to find a brand new 9242 2 months ago. I live near calgary, and had to get my sister in Montreal to buy and send it to me). Anywhoo..the problem is with the 4100. Initally when I connected everything up, the only receiver that didn't work at all was the 4100. After reading many posts on this Forum, it was pretty clear to me that the RG6 connector at each end of the cable run was to blame, and ultimately, it was. Switched out the connectors and voila the 4100 works and recognizes eveything. Get a satallie signal of almost 96%. The problem....Channels 600 and up don't always work. I flipped transponders to see and (for a second time) replaced the connectors once again with a higher end connector (T&B) and still issues with channels 600 and up...anybody have any ideas? And if this issue has been posted before, my accept my apologies. I was going to post this in the 4100 forum, but mainly this problem has occurred witht the install of the DPP products.
I thought to maybe give Bell a call, then stopped myself, laughed, then came here. Thanks! Tazz.
Old 2009-05-14, 12:09 AM   #109
lonnie

try substituting another receiver at the 4100's location if possible to rule out a receiver problem. if you still have the same problem then most likely there is a problem in that one cable run back to the multiswitch as follows.
1-cable type and length. ( if you have rg59 instead of rg6 you will be losing a lot of signal at the higher frequencies and the problem gets worse the longer the cable is. it could be the reason you are having connector problems, in addition there are a few different types of rg6 cable so if you have quad shield you should have the proper connectors for that )
2-damaged cable. look for kinks, squashes, splits, and nails or staples that cut the cable. if you have pets, or varmints, look for teeth marks. if cable is laying in water or buried in the dirt in a crawl space, water can easily get in. you probably won't be able to inspect cable that's hidden inside the wall but you can run a temporary bypass cable direct from the switch to the receiver to verify it's the cable.
3-cable wrapped around electrical wires. i've seen a few installs now where excess cable was coiled up near the electrical panel, or the cable was bundled up tightly with an a/c power cable for a long run. whenever something with a motor that drew a lot of current started up such as refrigerator or dryer, the receiver would cut out on certain channels.
Old 2009-05-15, 10:03 AM   #110
tazzsterk2e
Rookie

Thanks Lonnie.
I've checked the 4100 at other locations in the house and the 4100 works perfectly. Tried my other receivers where the 4100 usually sits, and my other 3100's have issues with the cable. I will very likely have to replace that cable run. Thankfully it's the shortest run....Maybe 30 feet in all. From the storage room through one floor into the bedroom right up above. Bit of a pain, but at least it's not one end of the house to the other.
Just a note to you folks with long cable runs...
I currently run two cables from the DPP Twin LNB, approx 100 ft each to the DPP44. to the 9242 is another 75 ft with the power inverter sitting at the switch. the other three runs are approx 75 ft, 60 ft and 30 ft. Based on what I have read with using the DPP Twin LNB and the DPP44, I should be running into problems, but I am not. (well except for the bad cable run that's 30 ft). Cable in the house is only rated for a max of 2400MHz, and the longest cable run to the 9242 gives virtually no signal loss. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but if you were thinking that maybe you couldn't install the Twin/DPP44 due to length, believe me...it's not an issue.

Cheers!
Old 2009-05-15, 10:59 AM   #111
Q
Veteran

tazzsterk2e,

You most likely have a bad cable or the connector is not put on correctly. Hopefully it is not the output of the switch.

BTW: DP/DPP is recommened for 200' or less of cable from lnb to receiver.

Q
Old 2009-05-19, 09:52 AM   #112
tazzsterk2e
Rookie

Thanks Q....
I guess I shouldn't be tooting my own horn if I don't read the details correctly..Sorry for being an "a" hole.
Old 2009-05-19, 11:21 PM   #113
lonnie

the 200 foot rating is assuming a certain "dish size/signal strength" , a typical loss per foot for the rg6 cable and a certain amount of headroom at the receiver to account for bad weather. if you have a much hotter signal going into the switch say from a bigger dish you could go much farther with the cable or if you have the usual dish size but poor quality cable and a rainy day you might get only 100 feet of acceptable signal from your cable. you won't see the actual signal strength on the receiver's signal meter though, that's more of a quality number than strength. you will probably see the same number for the same transponder on all your receivers regardless of cable length 'til the strength falls below the threshold that it can use.
Old 2009-05-20, 01:07 PM   #114
buckinbronco

i find i dont even use my power inserter in my dp44 switch.
i have and old dish 625 dispro dual tuner reciever that supplys the power to the switch via port1.
i use the 3 other ports for my bell equipment.
anyone else run int this b4?
Old 2009-05-21, 09:55 AM   #115
Q
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckinbronco View Post
i find i dont even use my power inserter in my dp44 switch.
i have and old dish 625 dispro dual tuner reciever that supplys the power to the switch via port1.
i use the 3 other ports for my bell equipment.
anyone else run int this b4?
While this may be possible I would not recommend doing this as it will draw the power from the receiver which most likely will shorten the life of the receiver.
Old 2009-05-22, 11:09 AM   #116
tazzsterk2e
Rookie

Default What the ?????

Ok..So I replaced the cable run with some higher end cable. Threw on new connectors, and I am still having an issue with the 4100. I have narrow it down to that only channels using transponder 10 are not working. Any clues on what the heck I'm doing wrong. I can't be this stupid..??..Can I...
As for the power inverter. I'm trying to find where I read that even though your dual received will power the DPP44, it's always better to use the inverter.

Thanks All....

T.
Old 2009-05-22, 11:20 AM   #117
Q
Veteran

tazzsterk2e ,

Change the port which the 4100 uses. If it works then I think you may have an issue with the switch.
Old 2009-05-22, 10:35 PM   #118
lonnie

does your cable pass through a surge protector? failed surge protectors often will notch out certain frequencies.
do you have something wireless/cordless near the receiver? rf interference may be getting into the receiver. try unplugging the suspect device from power for a minute and see if the problem goes away. try moving the receiver farther away from the tv as well in case that is radiating into your receiver, especially if it is a crt type of tv, they have pretty powerful magnetic fields around them from the flyback transformer and yoke.
many years ago i used to see receivers that wouldn't tune in the highest or lowest transponders, due to a problem in the power supply but that's probably not your problem here since it's in the middle of the band. if you've ruled out the possibility of cable or switch by substitution then it has to be in the receiver, possibly a bad tuner.
Old 2009-06-01, 01:37 AM   #119
dufferdan

I have a BEV 9200 dual tuner receiver.

I want to add another HD single tuner HD receiver.

My setup:

Dish on roof.

The SWP24 switch is on the roof (outdoors) tied to the dish. I have two leads into the house.

Two feeds into 9200 receiver with power inserter in one line. I currently run it in two tuner mode, with a second TV driven by the second tuner.

Adding the HD tuner and using the RG6 run from the first TV, can I use the DPP 44 to use the existing leads, minus power inserter, into the DPP 44, then rn dual tuners on the 9200, and HD on the other HD tuner via a thir Rg6 cable? OR do I need to disconnect the SWP44 at the dish and un the wires direct from the dish to the DPP 44 and then out to the 9200 and HD single tuner receiv

Also, am I missing someting here?
Old 2009-06-01, 12:12 PM   #120
Pinza
Veteran

I am guessing you mean an SW44 at the Dish.

If this is the case, you will have 2 spare ports on that SW44, simply run an RG6 from either of these Ports to the location for the Single Tuner HD receiver, or 2 lines from both spare Ports to a Dual Tuner HD PVR.

You could run a line from the spare Port to the rear of the 9200 and then connect it to the RG6 that feeds the Remote TV. Using a pair of Diplexers, would enable you to still retain the use of Tuner #2 on the 9200 and still connect up a new HD Single Tuner Receiver at the Remote TV location.

Tags
dpp, dpp44, separator