The DishPro Plus (DPP) twin lnb - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2009-11-01, 07:29 PM   #46
jadeddog
Rookie

Default dish 500 dual LNB question

hey there

i have a dual LNB from a dish network 500 setup

here is the actual LNB (http://www.epinions.com/prices/Sharp...rge_Suppressor)

i'm trying to hook it up to a bell system with 1 HD box (non-PVR) and 1 SD box... the actual LNB encasing only has 3 connectors... the 2 left connectors are labelled "1" and "2" and the right single connector is labelled "LNB IN"... am i able to use this LNB setup for 1 HD and 1 SD bell box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-01, 08:19 PM   #47
jadeddog
Rookie

i'm pretty sure i have one of these LNBs... the one i have has three connectors, the two on the left hand side are labelled as "1" and "2" while the connector on the right hand side has a label beside it that says "LNB IN"

i'm trying to hook it up to a bell system with 1 HD box (6131) and 1 SD box (4100) .... i was trying to use a SW21 running from the 1 and 2 connectors then into my 6131 HD box... i was then going to run a direct line from the other connector into the 4100 SD box.... this isn't working, and from the looks of this thread i might not be able to run this newer equipment at all

so, any clarifications would be greatly appreciated
Old 2009-11-01, 08:36 PM   #48
QCK

If you have that exact DPP Twin LNB head that is in the link just run one cable from connection "1" to one of your receivers and another cable from connection "2" to your other receiver. Then run "check switch" on each of your receivers. The LNB has an internal switch that combines 82W and 91W on the same cable. You do not need to use the SW21 switch. The third connection on the right lets you add another sat location which currently is not needed with Bell TV.
Old 2009-11-01, 08:54 PM   #49
jadeddog
Rookie

how will i know if its exactly the same? my model number is BS1P1UP201M... is this the same model?

also, if it is the same, i just run a straight run? no need for any switch of any kind?
Old 2009-11-01, 08:58 PM   #50
QCK

It will be fine even if it is not DPP. Just a run straight cables as I said above, and then do not forget to run "check switch" from your receiver menu.
Old 2009-11-01, 09:26 PM   #51
jadeddog
Rookie

ok thanks, i'll try it tomorrow... hopefully this works
Old 2009-11-02, 04:26 PM   #52
jadeddog
Rookie

so i have the HD and SD box recognizing the switch now (it shows it as "installed switch model DPP twin")... so i'm pretty sure this is the correct LNB

now, i still have a problem though... i am locked on 82 at 100%, but can't find 91 in the sky at all! so i have the HD channels showing on the HD box, and of course nothing is showing on the SD box.... this is how it should be though correct? if i only have 82 locked and not 91, i would only be getting HD channels correct? on the HD box, when i go to system setupm it has the 82 locked and at around 95%, but it shows 0% for the 91

the way i understand skewing is that you lock onto 91, and then as you move your skew, the 91 LNB stays centered, and your simply searching for 82 at that point... my problem is that i can't find 91 to begin with

from my location, 91 should be at almost the exact elevation (0.5 degrees difference) and only slightly off to the south from 82, but its just not there... is there something about this switch/twin-LNB that would disallow me from finding 91?

thanks for any help
Old 2009-11-02, 04:32 PM   #53
Q
Veteran

jadeddog,

The best method is to use a single lnb on 91 and maximize that first. Then add the DPP twin and run check switch again.
Old 2009-11-02, 06:32 PM   #54
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
is there something about this switch/twin-LNB that would disallow me from finding 91?
No there is not unless there is a problem with the internal switch, but I doubt that is your problem.

Like Q said, get 91 working and then you can adjust your dish position/skew to get 91 & 82 locked in together at the best percentage possible.
Old 2009-11-02, 09:23 PM   #55
Burge

I've got a crazy one for everybody to try and figure out. I am having a very wierd problem at my house that no-one seems to be able to solve. I will try and keep this brief but also thorough at the same time. Hours have been spent trying to resolve.

6131 + 9200 (with separator) + DPP Twin = Working for many months
6131 + 9241 (with separator) + DPP Twin = 6131 working, 9241 not working
6131 + DPP Twin = 6131 Working
9241 + DPP Twin = 9241 Not Working
6131 + 9200 (with separator) + DPP Twin = Working fine using exact same environment.
9241 + (2) SW21 + DP Dual = 9241 Working

Symptoms: 9241 unit gets all green lights for DPP Twin configurations with or without the separator. TV picture is jerky and satellite tuning jumps all around.

I have tried EVERYTHING. Two different 6131 units. Two different 9241 units. New dish. New wiring. Grounding...no grounding. The run to the 6131 is double the length of the run to the 9241. The dish couldn't be better aimed at 91% (confirmed with mutliple units).

I only can have two lines coming into my house from my dish. I need to have a 9241 with a separator and a 6131 directly connected.
Old 2009-11-02, 09:40 PM   #56
Q
Veteran

Burge,

You can try do unhook all wires from 9241 and run check switch to get everything removed. Then hook back up and try.

You can also check to make sure you have about 1/8" of copper sticking past the connector. Too short of a connector has been proven to be problematic as well.

Good luck!

Q
Old 2009-11-03, 08:09 PM   #57
Burge

Q ... thanks for some other ideas. I appreciate the help.

I tried the longer copper and I tried resetting the unit but I'm still having the same problem. I have tried two brand-new 9241 units on this configuration and they both did the same thing. The 6131 works fine on the exact same cable and output that the 9241 units do not.

The only thing that has not been replaced is the DPP Twin. This is the trickiest part because I would basically have to buy a new one and get stuck with it if its not the cause.
Old 2009-11-03, 09:48 PM   #58
Q
Veteran

Have you tried one line from the dpp twin into just one input of the 9241?

I am a bit stumped as it looks like you have gone through all the different configurations for trouble shooting. Normally the problem is with the line or the connector at end of line.

Have you tried another DPP separator? You may have to just buy another DPP twin and hope that is the issue as that is all that is left.
Old 2009-11-04, 09:18 AM   #59
rosenqui

I've had cases where one DPP separator didn't work but another did, so swap the separator if possible or test the lines without the separator to prove that the LNB and coax into the house are good.

I've also had a case where moving a connection to a different DPP44 switch solved an issue. Having 4 feeds off DPP44#1 and 2 off DPP44#2 didn't work for one connection, but 3 and 3 worked fine. The connection that was moved from DPP44#1 to #2 was probably suspect and the cause of the trouble, but the act of moving it solved the problem so I left it there and all 6 receivers are still happy.

Also, don't forget to keep the receiver power off when making/changing connections, and always re-do the check switch after any change. Some installers (and "Q" above) recommend doing a check switch with no coax connected in order to put the receiver back to a default switch configuration, then power down, connect it all, and run check switch again. The signalling with DPP gear and a separator in place is definitely more complex, plus you're using frequencies in the 2GHz range so the cabling and connectors all have to be top notch.
Old 2009-11-04, 09:52 AM   #60
Pinza
Veteran

I think you will find that "Burge" has connected both feeds from the DPP LNBF to the 9241 and it still did not work. he does NOT have a DPP44 switch, just the LNBF.

It has to be, the seperator or LNBF that is causing the problems because as i just said, the 9241 does not function correctly when connected directly to the LNBF.

I also think you will find that the switching is done using a 22Khz tone, not 2Ghz but I could be wrong.

Tags
dpp, dpp twin, separator