SW44 switch discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2008-01-22, 11:16 AM   #1
Q
Veteran

Default SW44 switch discussion

Another very common installation is the SW44 switch. It typically uses two inputs from 82 and 2 inputs from 91 which will allow 4 outputs but can also be used with 2 inputs from one sat to output 4 lines like a SW24. This switch also requires a power adaptor to be used.

Some people have said it works without a power adaptor but I personally would not recommend it because your receivers will then need to power the switch and lnb's.

It is an indoor and outdoor switch however needs to be plugged indoors.

Last edited by Q; 2008-02-25 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Changed wording to allow only 2 lines input
Q is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-01-23, 10:44 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work below was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

Old 2008-01-23, 10:44 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Typical install with one dish.

Old 2008-01-23, 10:44 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

or with two dishes.

Old 2008-02-13, 02:04 PM   #5
Oswald13

Default 2nd request for help with SW44 switch

Hi,

I cannot get my 2nd tuner (on my new 9242) to work with the switch. Tuner one works fine, and when I bypass the switch, I can acquire a signal with tuner 2 (so I know it is not the receiver). I have disconnected the receiver from the switch, run the check switch test, then reconnected the receiver and still cannot pass the check switch test for the 2nd tuner. Is there anything else that I could be missing, other than the obvious (bad switch)? I have searched through this forum and found some ideas (e.g., the notion of disconnnecting the receiver and running the switch test again), but I would appreciate any additional help.

Thanks!
Oswald13 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-13, 02:54 PM   #6
Jaygeetee
DHC Supporter

Have you swapped coaxes between tuners 1 and 2 to see if problem follows the cables?
Jaygeetee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-13, 03:06 PM   #7
Oswald13

Sounds like an idea--should I run a check switch test with the receiver disconnected again, before I switch the lines?
Oswald13 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-13, 04:15 PM   #8
Jaygeetee
DHC Supporter

Both tuners must have cables connected to do a check switch test. Swap the two tuner cables then go to point dish menu and see which tuner is or is not functioning. If tuner 1 is now o/s the problem is that cable going to sw44. Do check switch again just to confirm.
Jaygeetee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-16, 08:39 PM   #9
loftaone
Rookie

Default SW44 upgrade

I currently have 1 dish with dual LNB's and 2 sw21 switches.. I am thinking of getting a 3rd receiver...what to I need? I am thinking a sw44? any help is appreciated.

Cheers
loftaone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-16, 10:28 PM   #10
kandkt

Quote:
I currently have 1 dish with dual LNB's and 2 sw21 switches.. I am thinking of getting a 3rd receiver...what to I need? I am thinking a sw44? any help is appreciated.
Yes, a SW44 will do the trick as it will provide 4 outputs. Keep in mind that any dual tuner receivers required 2 outputs, but in your case it doesn't look like you have any dual tuners.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79117
kandkt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-17, 10:19 AM   #11
loftaone
Rookie

Default SW44 switch

Thanks for the reply. Can I just install the sw44 inside using the 2 lines from the dish after my 2 sw21's. Or do I have to remove them? Thanks in advance.
loftaone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-17, 10:44 AM   #12
kandkt

You need to remove the SW21's. You will need to feed the two feeds from sat 91 LNB to input 1A and 1B on the switch and the two feeds from sat 82 LNB to 2A and 2B. The switch needs all four inputs to work correctly.
kandkt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-19, 09:07 AM   #13
dosborne
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550

Although I prefer mounting the switch inside, you can also consider replacing the SW21s with the SW44 at the dish. Then run a third line to the location of your third receiver. This is a less flexible option, but may be easier and less expensive for you.
dosborne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-19, 11:48 PM   #14
klystron

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftaone View Post

Cheers
Another way to get outputs for 3 receivers is a Dishpro Plus 1000.2 setup. I recently installed one and it works great. They are about $60 on ebay and have the switch integrated into the lnb.
klystron is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-02-20, 08:39 AM   #15
dosborne
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550

Keep in mind though that you can't mix legacy and DPP technology in your setup and that DPP is not officially supported by Bell. Running a single wire would seem to be more appropriate and cheaper in this case and would also use supported equipment.
dosborne is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
belltv, multiswitch, newbie, sw44

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.