ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-07, 08:15 AM   #166
junkmale

I know today is supposed to be the "announcement" that the 6141 will now become PVR cabable with a firmware update. "If" it's announced today...other than finding out in this forum...where does Bell actually post their news officially? Where do people get the official news from Bell that they post here? Would we only be able to find out by calling Bell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-01-07, 08:38 AM   #167
chapsrl
Rookie

Just chatted with a Bell Rep and it looks promising..

Bruce White: hello Khai.. Did you get my question?(when will the PVR function be enabled for the 6141?)

Khai: Hello, thank you for visiting the bell.ca page! I have read your question. We're expecting a software upgrade today to activate the USB function on the 6141.

Khai: I unfortunately don't have a specific time for you.
Bruce White: Awsome!! thats great news. thank you very much!
Khai: We're rolling this out according to the authorization code of the 6141. We've been updating all 6141s group by group since this morning.
Khai: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Bruce White: no you have been quite helpful.
Old 2009-01-07, 09:15 AM   #168
RCNitro

So does this mean it's safe for me to jump on the 6141 instead of waiting for the 6131? I finally decide to get satellite after 25 years of OTA and this gets me all stalled up.
Old 2009-01-07, 09:20 AM   #169
chapsrl
Rookie

I would wait a few hours to confirm if this is true... I know i still have SW Ver. 164 but its only early..
Old 2009-01-07, 10:04 AM   #170
molsonman73

Lets hope it starts to work today, or we can all start calling and preach our displeasure with the time it is taking to get this upgrade from when it was promised when they released the 6141 receivers and told specifically of this available feature that will be available.
Old 2009-01-07, 10:15 AM   #171
thegoodz
Rookie

is everyone just plugging in their USB hard drive and waiting for a message to come up on screen or are you guys just calling Bell every few hours to see if the upgrade is available?
Old 2009-01-07, 10:42 AM   #172
peano
Veteran

It will be new firmware. Don't know what the current version is but as soon as it increments up, I would say the feature has been enabled.
Old 2009-01-07, 10:50 AM   #173
thegoodz
Rookie

so I can leave the hard drive plugged in now?

how will I know when the new firmware is available? will I automatically get a screen that comes up asking to upgrade? anyone know if Bell is charging for the PVR firmware?
Old 2009-01-07, 11:26 AM   #174
uniquenamehere

I guarantee they will charge for it!
Old 2009-01-07, 11:50 AM   #175
thegoodz
Rookie

I just spoke online with one of their techs and he said there would be no charge for this upgrade. guess time will tell, he had no idea as to when the upgrade would be available, but did say it would be today.
Old 2009-01-07, 12:02 PM   #176
spun14

9am this morning when i checked i still had v164 of the firmware. Seems kind of odd that they'd push it thru during the day instead of the standard 3am push but who knows.

Been pushing off buying a HDD to make sure that it actually does get pushed thru so if it does then i'll go tomorrow and get one. Depending on the functionality of this then i may buy one of the 6131's when my rental comes due very soon.
Old 2009-01-07, 12:09 PM   #177
scrooloose
Veteran

Every update I've ever received on my 9242 and 9200 have all been during the day, usually Wednesday.

-Mike
Old 2009-01-07, 12:14 PM   #178
cmacs2k2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmale View Post
I know today is supposed to be the "announcement" that the 6141 will now become PVR cabable with a firmware update. "If" it's announced today...other than finding out in this forum...where does Bell actually post their news officially? Where do people get the official news from Bell that they post here? Would we only be able to find out by calling Bell?
I have always wanted to know, is there some page on bell. ca where official news is posted? Where do most people get their info from?
Old 2009-01-07, 12:14 PM   #179
molsonman73

My call not 5 mins ago with a Bell Tech online Chat

Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with Johanne.
Johanne: Hi John, welcome to Bell TV Chat! It will be a pleasure to help you out with your request today concerning the 6141 upgrade.
Johanne: And, yes, the 6141 is available effective today to add an external hard drive.
john : do i just plug in my external HD and it will be enabled right away
john : is that all i need to do then
Johanne: Yes you will. They are upgrading all receivers starting today. So, once yours updated, you only plug your EHD and it will work.
john : this is awesome i can't wait to be able to start recording HD content with my new HD, thanks for your help today
Johanne: I understand you! It was a pleasure to assist you today and thank you for choosing Bell.ca. Have a great day!
john : you too

This is gonna be great and they are not charging for the upgrade feature for a Hard drive addon.
Old 2009-01-07, 12:24 PM   #180
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodz View Post
how will I know when the new firmware is available?
Check your firmware version in System Information (menu twice) and if it changes from V164, you'll have it. I wouldn't leave the drive plugged in.
Closed Thread

Tags
6141, expressvu, pvr