Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner on Blu-ray Exclusivity - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2008-01-04, 11:51 PM   #31
oilblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylr View Post
So I guess you don't like the HD DVD PG/Toshiba for flashing the money to Paramount either? It works both ways.
What does that have to do with cheap combo players? Oh well, I'll bite...

I never said I liked the Paramount move, did I? Course that move didn't kill one format...merely made them more balanced. Considering I didn't see the two formats as the real problem, the Paramount move wasn't as bad as WBlu. Which was the point of the entire paragraph. A cheap combo player makes the two formats a moot point. WB going Blu *after* a cheap combo player became available--say a year from now--wouldn't harm anybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-01-05, 08:37 AM   #32
shabbs
Veteran

Toshiba's next move: announce a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player with an MSRP of $199 at CES. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em and help the consumer!
Old 2008-01-05, 09:12 AM   #33
Atlantic Home Theatre

I feel sorry for all the folks who bought into the HD DVD camp in the past couple of months, quite a kick in the teeth to be honest. I have had my A2 since early May and have bought around 35 titles and I am very pleased with the format. I will not be buying any more HD DVD discs unless its a must have title or they have fire sales which I suspect is going to happen.

I purchased a PS3 a month ago mainly for BR use but found it to be an all around amazing machine, very impressed. and feel really good about that purchase now

Bottom line, its over for the HD DVD format as no one will buy a player with only 2.5 studios supporting it. We all wanted the format war to be over and allthough I am a little sad I think its the best thing to happen for the HD world in general, maybe now we can watch the HD format really take off, be able to find all titles in all stores and not a few crappy left overs tucked away in a corner in wally world .

RIP
HD DVD
Old 2008-01-05, 09:20 AM   #34
Fox334
Rookie

Even tought I was on the HD DVD camp, I am happy that its the beguining of the end. Shure, I wish the HD DVD would have won, but it wont. Now, I just have to hope the Blu-Ray will be able to bury the DVD.

Oh, and I am now exited for the firesales!
Old 2008-01-05, 09:22 AM   #35
JonO

I don't really get Oilblue's point either... Toshiba and Paramount pulled this stunt first. Further, not only did Paramount "defect", but they pulled all movies that had been announced for blu - including Blades of Glory (which was already in stores).

As far as I am concerned, at this point the gloves where off and for Toshiba to feign indignation at this point is insulting. Everyone has known for the past month that this was a possibility...

If Paramount we still neutral, I would be just upset at this as I was at the Paramount move. However, it's not the case and the BD has merely taken a page from the HD playbook. You reap what you sow.
Old 2008-01-05, 10:42 AM   #36
Tezster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Home Theatre View Post
I purchased a PS3 a month ago mainly for BR use but found it to be an all around amazing machine, very impressed. and feel really good about that purchase now
Never really gave the PS3 much thought until I got to see it in action when my cousin bought one last month - I was impressed with the ability of using the machine as a media centre... just have to wait for the price to drop a little more.
Old 2008-01-05, 11:07 AM   #37
markusp

It really is too bad that HD DVD is facing the end. Everyone claims that Blu-ray is the better format but what I really liked about HD DVD was that it launched with a finalized spec in place. No worries about having to constantly buy new players is a very nice incentive to buy into a format (although my reality with Toshiba begs to differ).

I bought my HD-A1 when it launched for $650 CDN plus taxes and at the time, there were only 5 movies in release. 1.5 years later and my HD-A1 is a rather buggy player begging for replacement as it constantly freezes on disc play. I was going to purchase an A35 this weekend as a replacement but now won't bother. I'll probably just wait to see how many HD-A1s end up on ebay and pick one up as a cheap replacement.

I am also a Blu-ray supporter, owning both a PS3 and a Panasonic BD10a. Given that these players have been completely bug-free for me, I have always opted to buy the Blu-ray version of a disc if available (Harry Potter series etc.). While I enjoy Blu-ray, I just wish it had a finalized spec so that I didn't have to face the prospect of constantly buying new players. As I said, both my PS3 and Panasonic havve been bug free and I have no wish to rush out and get a new player. My hope is that the PS3 will get DTS HD MA internal decoding and then I will upgrade my pre pro sometime next year.
Old 2008-01-05, 02:15 PM   #38
oilblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonO View Post
I don't really get Oilblue's point either... Toshiba and Paramount pulled this stunt first. Further, not only did Paramount "defect", but they pulled all movies that had been announced for blu - including Blades of Glory (which was already in stores).

As far as I am concerned, at this point the gloves where off and for Toshiba to feign indignation at this point is insulting. Everyone has known for the past month that this was a possibility...

If Paramount we still neutral, I would be just upset at this as I was at the Paramount move. However, it's not the case and the BD has merely taken a page from the HD playbook. You reap what you sow.
Huh? Sounds like you're upset at Paramount still, but I'm not allowed to be upset at Warner? Did Paramount deny their move to HD DVD during the holiday buying season, only to flip on that month later, thereby flipping the bird to anyone that bought-in during the interim? No? OK then. Warner's move was worse. Moving on...

BTW, that's quite a condescending statement that "everybody knew". I certainly didn't, and I'm somewhat more informed than the average consumer. Nice bit of sympathy for people that bought last month. Note, I wouldn't be complaining if I managed to snag a player at $99. Didn't get close to those ones unfortunately. Try $270, and see how happy you'd be at this turn of events.
Old 2008-01-05, 02:17 PM   #39
oilblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusp View Post
It really is too bad that HD DVD is facing the end. Everyone claims that Blu-ray is the better format but what I really liked about HD DVD was that it launched with a finalized spec in place. No worries about having to constantly buy new players is a very nice incentive to buy into a format (although my reality with Toshiba begs to differ).
Agreed on that point about a finalized spec. At least all players, from entry level to the premium version were capable of the same feature set, right from launch. None of this Profile 1.0, Profile 1.1, and upcoming Profile 2.0. Yet another reason I won't be jumping back in for quite a while if I return our A3.
Old 2008-01-05, 02:20 PM   #40
Eug
Veteran

I felt it was likely that Warner was going to make an announcement this year... just not this early. (I didn't know which way they'd go. I was 50/50 on that.)

But yeah, Warner's announcement 2 weeks after Xmas would really be quite annoying to those who just jumped in.
Old 2008-01-05, 03:37 PM   #41
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox334 View Post
Oh, and I am now exited for the firesales!
In deed! I bought an A2 at the Wally fire sale on Black Friday. I only have the Bourne trilogy and the 5 free ones coming. I'll be looking at Batman Begins and the Matrix when the fire sales start happening. Who knows, with deep enough discounts HD DVD may even win a week of sales this year!
Old 2008-01-05, 03:39 PM   #42
greerb

Location: Maple Creek,SK - Oppo BDP-83 | Sony PS3 | Tosh 50HM66 | Pio VSX-9120TXH | Bell HD PVR

What is in Toshiba's back pocket now?
1) HD-A3 for under $100
2) Lower the prices of HD DVDs to $20, and get rid of the Combo Discs.
3) Get Microsoft to put in money to either Fox or Disney or even both, money talks Microsoft has the money. $600 mil to each would be a nice way to sway the deal. And talk paramount into extending thier deal.
4) Toshiba makes a combo player for $200

I might be in denial here since I bought a A35, with a decent back up plan HD DVD could be around for atleast another coulpe of years.
Old 2008-01-05, 03:44 PM   #43
U

Or the BDA convinces Universal to swith to BD leaving Paramount the only HD DVD supporter until the end of their contract. Toshiba seems to be good at making good harware for cheap they should release Blu-Ray players to compete with Sony...
Old 2008-01-05, 03:46 PM   #44
darrylr
Veteran

I think #3 would be the only one with any hope but it sounds like a very remote possibility. Your player will still play all the discs you own, will play all the ones that will likely go on sales in the next few months, and will also upconvert SD DVD's just fine. It's not like it just stops working.
Old 2008-01-05, 03:46 PM   #45
darrylr
Veteran

I think the obvious progression would be for Toshiba to come out with a cheap dual player within the next year.