Best antenna for Windsor Ontario - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2003

Old 2003-08-30, 09:14 AM   #1
buritto

Default Best antenna for Windsor Ontario

Hope someone can help me with this.

I live in Windsor Ontario and I'm looking to get my HD viewing up and rolling. I refuse to pay for TV service at this point in time as Canadian HD is moving to slow. OTA is where I need to be :wink: I know I can pick a lot up apparently from Detroit and the surrounding areas. When I was younger back in the '80s my parents had an antenna with the rotor, in analog. I seem to remember the old TV set getting 2, 4, 7, 9, 20, and 50 with good reception. Stations like 32, 56(PBS), and others wre snowy after using the rotor.

All I really want is CBS, NBC, and ABC in Digital and there HD feeds. If anyone knows the Windsor area I live about 6 blocks or so away from the DCX mini-van plant.

I went to Gray's Antenna and asked about this and he said where I live you'd get snow on 2 and 4 because the channels are so close together. I think he was talking about the analog feeds which I don't want. I know that the digital feeds are in 1s and 0s like a computer so wouldn't I get a signal no matter what?

Most antenna's I've seen around the neighbourhood are the "metal" kind, with all the "wires" poking out. As you can tell by now I have no idea what there called, lol. But I also have seen the "saucer" type antennas. What is the difference? I live about at most 15km from the Detroit River. With the "metal" kind do I have to point it ad hoc or pin-point a signal? I've noticed that with these "metal" ones in my neighbourhood some are pointing this way and others pointing that way. None in the same direction :-? With the the "saucer" type antenna, can you even point something that's round?

I want to do this on the cheap too as I'm getting married in Janurary. I think I've decided to get the Samsung T151 and some sort of antenna. I really don't want to get a rotor or a pre-amp or a "tower" I just want it mounted on the roof or even the garage. Also when I move would I be able to take the antenna with me or is that part of the "fixture" to the house?

Thanks a bunch, if there's any other info you'd need to know please ask and I'll do my best to answer :wink:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2003-08-30, 09:21 AM   #2
james99

If you live in Windsor and only want the major Networks from Detroit then an indoor antenna will do. If you want greater range, than perhaps Channel Master's 8 Bay model will do. It doesn't look like a normal oudoor antenna. Its basically a flat panel than can be used outdoors or in a attic.

A local Radio Shack should be able to help you out.
Old 2003-08-30, 10:15 AM   #3
buritto

Quote:
Originally Posted by James99
If you live in Windsor and only want the major Networks from Detroit then an indoor antenna will do. If you want greater range, than perhaps Channel Master's 8 Bay model will do. It doesn't look like a normal oudoor antenna. Its basically a flat panel than can be used outdoors or in a attic.

A local Radio Shack should be able to help you out.
An indoor antenna will do it then, that's great news as the future wife wasn't too keen on a big piece of metal on the roof.
Old 2003-08-30, 10:31 AM   #4
buritto

Actually now that I think about I have a $20 set of rabbit ears that dont work too well, the reception is very poor. To put a better indoor antenna in the attic would reguire alot of wiring which I don't want to do. It would be easier for to mount an antenna on the roof.

Are there antennas that are specifically made for attics?

Would I use RG6 cabling?
Old 2003-08-30, 11:39 AM   #5
james99

If you want something that isn't messy looking, then look at this model:

Future Shop
Old 2003-08-30, 12:44 PM   #6
buritto

Quote:
Originally Posted by James99
If you want something that isn't messy looking, then look at this model:

Future Shop
When you said indoor antenna I thought you meant one that looks like an outdoor but an indoor miniture version, lol.

I have a pair of rabbit ears that I tried to pull in analog and ABC came in the best but it was still too ugly to watch.

Being that I want to pull in Digital and from what I read I'd either get a signal or I'd get nothing since it's sent out in 1's and 0's, would there be any fuzz at all? Would I get a 100% signal?
Old 2003-09-01, 07:09 PM   #7
PeMiL

I am interested in this topic as well. I also understand I need to purchase a digital decoder for my HDTV ready set and was told that I have to get it in the US. Anyone in Windsor selling these?
Old 2003-09-02, 06:38 AM   #8
buritto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeMiL
I am interested in this topic as well. I also understand I need to purchase a digital decoder for my HDTV ready set and was told that I have to get it in the US. Anyone in Windsor selling these?
I called around and know one has any of them. I was told companies don't bother to send them to Canada as OTA is limited to very few. I on the other think if you send them to stores where there is OTA they'd make a killing.

Go to Foogle.com and do a search as to what type of tuner you'd want. The Samsung SIR T-151 seems to be popular with a lot of people.

I just need to know more about pointing an antenna :-?
Old 2003-09-02, 09:36 AM   #9
james99

J and R out of NYC is also a good place to look for HD tuners. They ship to Canada. www.jandr.com