Reliable Unlocking Service In Vancouver? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-17, 07:07 PM   #1
Ricketty Rabbit

Default Reliable Unlocking Service In Vancouver?

I paid for an unlock code for my Motorola L6 (a GSM tri-band phone) based on the IMEI number of my phone, but it didn't unlock the phone. Does anyone know of an unlocking service in Vancouver that uses another method to unlock phones?

What really irks me about this is that I paid Rogers for this phone with no plan -- using for Pay-As-You-Go. Where do they get off restricting me to their network when I didn't get a subsidized price for the phone? The next phone I buy will be an already unlocked model!

Ricketty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-11-27, 01:42 PM   #2
kcowan

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI

BuySell.com seems to feature ads for many some as low as $10:

http://www.buysell.com/classifieds/R...ar_Phones.html
Old 2007-11-28, 06:42 PM   #3
Ricketty Rabbit

Many of the buysell ads are for unlock codes which are obtained by sending your phone's IMEI number and a fee.

For your money, they send you an unlocking code and instructions. You put a SIM card from a competing network in your phone, and when you re-power it, it can't sign onto the network, so the instruction "enter subsidy code" comes up on the display. You then enter the unlock code, and it should unlock your phone and sign onto the network for the SIM card.

I followed all the instructions, and the code I bought didn't work. The website on which I bought the code promises "100% satisfaction guaranteed" but still hasn't refunded my money. They want to refund part of the money, since they paid for the code and think I should cover their costs. Apparently, getting a 100% refund for a guaranteed service that doesn't do as promised is more than 100% satisfaction.

I'm taking it up with PayPal.

Anyway, I went to one of the places recommended by ckl, where they unlocked my phone in 5 minutes (using an instrument rather than a code) for $15. My phone worked on FIDO with a FIDO SIM card, and it works on the original network, Rogers, using my Rogers SIM card. Success.

Ricketty
Old 2007-12-22, 01:21 AM   #4
schnitzer
Rookie

have you guys heard of mobile-to-go?
Allan unlocked my Motorola Razr V3 at my office in Downtown Vancouver
Painless, Took less than 5 minutes...

If you are out of town, I think he can also unlock your phone remotely by IMEI as well. I once had a Blackberry Pearl that I realized needed unlocking when i was at the airport... i bought the code off his website and got the code and instructions emailed to me the next day!
Old 2007-12-23, 01:13 AM   #5
Mexicanuck

I used the service ckl suggested. Five minutes in the shop. $20.00. Done.

This was for a Nokia 6620.

Seemed good to me.
Old 2008-12-19, 12:44 AM   #6
energie
Rookie

hi, im in need of an unlocking service in the surrey - vancouver area. please pm me if you know of a reliable place, thanks!
Old 2008-12-22, 07:16 PM   #7
schnitzer
Rookie

why not buy the unlock code online?

I unlocked my Rogers Blackberry Bold though this website with just a code:

www.remoteunlocking.ca

I gave them my IMEI, got the code and instructions within a few hours.. I had a problem keying in the code initially and they walked me though the steps over the phone..
Old 2008-12-22, 07:46 PM   #8
i hate tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzer View Post
why not buy the unlock code online?
He did buy the code online, and it didn't work....
The 100% satisfaction guarantee was that they guarantee they won't refund his money...

Quote:
I followed all the instructions, and the code I bought didn't work. The website on which I bought the code promises "100% satisfaction guaranteed" but still hasn't refunded my money. They want to refund part of the money, since they paid for the code and think I should cover their costs. Apparently, getting a 100% refund for a guaranteed service that doesn't do as promised is more than 100% satisfaction.
Closed Thread