HD Decoder - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2003

Old 2003-08-11, 03:40 PM   #1
HDTV Rookie

Default HD Decoder

Hi:

I have a Hitachi 43FDX01B HDTV as well as Star Choice. I have yet to see my TV using a HD Decoder. In order to get the Star Choice hi def stations do you have to purchase a decoder from Star Coice or will another brand work? I think the decoder is currently around $400.00 at (it was $900 when I purchased the TV) is this a fixed price or does the decoder go on sale periodoically?

I guess what I am wondering is if it is worth my while to buy a decoder now or do you think they will come down substancially in the near future?

Also does the decoder improve the signal on other stations or is it strictly for the 2 available stations that Star Choice broadcasts in HDTV.

Any help would be appreciated...

Bye 4 Now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2003-08-11, 09:32 PM   #2
jcol

I think you have to use the HD decoder from SC. I purchased mine last fall for $299 from a furniture store. That's the best price I had seen. I think they ordered it in by mistake and had to discount it to move it out. I think $350 to $400 is still the going rate. There have been reports that the current side car decoder is in very limited supply and that SC is going to be releasing an integrated IRD/HD decoder, possibly with a PVR sometime between September and Christmas. There may be up to 6 HD channels by then, there's 2 and a half right now. You may want to wait to see what the new hardware looks like. I don't use my decoder for non-HD channels, the picture is better coming straight out of the receiver for non-HD channels. BTW HD, when it's good is amazing, I still can't believe the picture quality. Can't wait for the new hardware, hope SC keeps its promises. Hope this helps.
Old 2003-08-12, 10:10 AM   #3
rlb

The existing 201's are being phased out and will be replaced by a new HD decoder supposedly very soon. The dual tuner HD PVR is suppose to be out Q1 2004. If you really want HD right now try to find a 201 on sale somewhere (or used) or wait until next year to get the dual tuner HD PVR.

BTW, I picked up my 201 for $200 (used) at an audio store.