Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Newcomer needs help with LCD TV

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  cowtown 
#1 ·
I want to surprise my mom with an LCD TV for here bedroom Armoire. I need a basic LCD TV with component inputs only (HDMI is not needed). Therefore I;m looking for a decent TV (approx 32") that has excellent picture quality for cable tv and dvd movies only!!!!!!

Please help out this newbie. It's the first time I'm investing $$$ in this technology and I don't want to waste good $$$ on something cheap!!!!

sk

(p.s. brand is not an issue for me!!!!)

#2 ·
My advice is buy a relatively inexpensive model from a retailer you trust.

I say a "retailer you trust" so if you want to return it or have problems, you won't get hassled.

Smaller size LCD televisions are pretty comparable nowadays and unless your mom is a videophile who has some serious home theatre needs, I suggest just finding one that looks good, has the connections you need and is relatively inexpensive.

#3 ·
Thanx Hugh. Appreciate your quick response. Can you think of the top of your head what a good brand would be. I know if I buy from one of the big guns, like LG, Samsung or Panny, I'm pretty much guaranteed good quality, but now a days, there are others in the market that I keep seeing like Proscan, Westinghouse, Olevia, HP, etc. Can any of these brands serve me well or should I just stick to the big guys????

sk

#4 ·
Many of those lower priced brands are made by LG and Samsung so its quite possible that the higher priced brands will have the same panel.

Regarding those other brands, try searching here for folks opinion on them. (try typing the brand name or model number in the Forum search)

#6 ·
What I'm afraid of is that you hear that so and so brand uses LG or samsung parts (components) but sometimes its LG's or samsung's seconds, ie those parts/components that they both reject and then sell it cheaper to these other company's. I'm afraid of getting a lemon in that after the 1 yr warranty is over, the tv is toast!!!

sk

#7 ·
LCD monitors and televisions are not new technology so the liklihood of a lemon is pretty low.

#11 ·
Far from a scientific observation, just from what I've read and heard about Viewsonic; cable TV PQ will be crappy, DVD movie PQ should be okay, reliability will be real crap shoot (more so then with other better known brands). Just remember to keep a couple copies of the receipt around just in case.

#12 ·
I think the only real way you're going to know what brand to buy would be to go to a store like Future Shop or Best Buy, ask the sales agent to put on a regular cable feed and observe. You may want to go on a mid week day early in the morning when there are no crowds. Plus the sales agent will be more agreeable then. I would stick to the name brands more so than the knockoffs, you know you'll be getting quality at least. I bought a 24" Prima CRT a year ago and I wish that I just spent more on a Toshiba or other name brand. I won't be making that mistake again.

Names I would stick to are: Toshiba, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Panasonic, and LG.

I'm particular to the Toshibas myself.

#13 ·
I think alot of the Viewsonics use LG panels.

Keep in mind when comparing TV's at any store the TV's might not be hooked up with the same inputs, lighting will be quite different then your lighting at home, settings of the TV's won't be the normal or "correct" settings.

#14 ·
Yeah the important thing is to purchase from a place with a good return policy so you can take it back if the cable looks like arse. I have been pretty satisfied with the cable performance on the 2 Viewsonic sets I've had. HD and movie playback has been great. And the great thing about Costco is their return or exchange policies can't be beat. Take it back anytime for any reason and you don't even need your receipt, just the card you bought it with. They obviously prefer if you do have the receipt, it just makes it faster.

I did this just the other day. I took back my 3760W and picked up the 4280P and I didn't have my receipt for the 3760 for whatever reason (I'm usually pretty good at keeping them) and after a little digging they threw the full purchase price back on my debit card and off I went, keep in mind I bought this about 2 weeks before Christmas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.