2 tv's on 1 receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2003

Old 2003-07-01, 08:29 PM   #1
nolegs

Default 2 tv's on 1 receiver

:roll: I have star choice and am connected up to a TV in the house. I want to connect a TV out in my workshop to my star choice receiver. Do I just splice a double connector into the cable between the receiver and TV and run a coax cable out to the workshop ? I know that I will be watching the same program that is on in the house, but that is ok. Could someone tell me where to take the cable from that goes out to the workshop. I am not up on technical details, so could you explain it so a dummy like me can understand. Thank you in advance.
Nolegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2003-07-02, 08:37 AM   #2

Default Re: 2 tv's on 1 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegs
: Do I just splice a double connector into the cable between the receiver and TV and run a coax cable out to the workshop ?Nolegs
Yes. If your tv near the sat receiver has component inputs, you have the option to run component cables to it and use the RG6 cable for your workshop tv.

Old 2003-07-06, 04:21 PM   #3

Just split it, and run the one coax to your shop. I have one receiver split to essentially
4 TVs. I have a UHF remote, which helps things.

Old 2005-01-09, 10:45 PM   #4
llynda

Default 2 TV's from 1 receiver

I was looking for this same info as I just had SC set up on my TV. I am dumber than the first person that asked this question, so I need "Instuctions for Dummies" so that I can connect a second TV. I do not know what those input s and cables are.
Thanks
llynda
Old 2005-01-10, 08:41 AM   #5
Jake

llynda, First a quick and simple lesson in video connections.

COAX cable = cable with 1 thin pin sticking out of the end of it. It threads into the back of all TVs/VCRs/Satboxes

RCA cable = cable (usually yellow end) with 1 fat pin sticking out of the end of it. It slides into the back of most TVs/VCRs/Satboxes.

S-VIDEO = cable with 4 pins sticking out of the end of it. It plugs into the back of many TVs/Satboxes.

This is how you want to wire your TVs.
TV1-----RCA---SATBOX
TV2-----COAX-----SATBOX

or this way

TV1-----S-VIDEO---SATBOX
TV2-----RCA-----SATBOX

or this way

TV1-----S-VIDEO---SATBOX
TV2-----COAX-----SATBOX

Basically, you will be limited by how long you have to run the cables and which plugs are available on your TV. If you have a long length of COAX then it can be used to go to the remote TV. If you tell us what model your TV and SATBOX are we can narrow down the choices for you.
Old 2005-01-10, 10:56 AM   #6
classicsat
Veteran

It should be noted, for the newbie, that S-video is video only, you need to also run the RCA L/R analog audio.
Old 2005-01-10, 11:20 AM   #7
GaryE
Veteran

I use the L/R audio outputs and the S-video connector to go directly into my main TV.

I use a second set of L/R audio outputs and the Video output to go into my VCR.

And finally, use a coxial cable to run a signal out to a small 13" tv ontop of my computer desk so I don't have to turn around to look at the tv. Yes, I'm lazy.
Old 2005-01-12, 03:17 PM   #8
llynda

Thanks for the quick response and the easy to understand info.
You may only call me Jessica when I am asking about electronics. Here's my situation
I have a cable from my Star Choice to a 315 receiver. Then a coax {1 pin} cable going onto my RCA TV. I have 2 extra, long runs of the same cable that goes from the dish to the receiver. I want to use them to connect to another RCA TV that currently has rabbit ears that connect with a 1skinny pin connection that just pushes onto the back of this RCA TV. Do I run this cable out of the receiver to the 2nd TV or what?
Old 2005-01-12, 07:55 PM   #9
Jake

Yes. You only have one coax output from your recevier so you will have to get a splitter. The splitter will sit between your SATBOX output and the TVs. A better solution would be to use one of the other video plugs on the back of your receiver. For example the red/white and yellow plugs can be wired into your TV and the COAX run to your other TV.

Radio Shack sells splitters.
Old 2005-10-12, 12:58 AM   #10
dakotajesse

I just registered so I could ask you pros a question.
I will take a coax from my DVR530 to another TV, but that other TV already has a receiver attached to it. I just want to watch some of the recorded programs on the other TV.
So, do I simply get a splitter and use it at the other TV to manage the new coax cable as well as the existing one from the receiver?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 2005-10-12, 08:55 AM   #11
Jake

If your TV has more than one input use the sat box composite (yellow, red, white) connectors. This will free up the COAX input on the TV and you can just plug the long COAX cable from the other room.

If your TV does not have composite connectors then you should get a 75Ω (ohm) A/B coax switch. They sell for less than $5.
Old 2005-10-14, 10:11 PM   #12
newfieplayer

When all is said and done you still have to go to the main room where the reciever is to change the channel in the other room. Nope. You can go to your local electronics store and buy a remote extender. You put the "senser" on your reciever, and a "battery operated extention" on your remote. Now you have the ability to change the channel on that reciever up to 100 ft away, through walls and even concrete.
I got my daughters reciever in her room spliced/hooked-up to my room and when she is sleeping I use the remote in my room to change the channels in her room so I can watch tv.This saved ya a little cash because Star Choice charges a fee for any addition reciever in your home. 5 bux is 5 bux lmao. :-)
Old 2005-10-14, 10:52 PM   #13
dks

Yup, I disagree with extra charges for extra receivers. Videotron never used to charge for it, but now even they charge $2.99 extra per month. It's a rip off really. Where are the days when you could plug dozens of TV into coax cables and not pay through the nose?

At least with *C the machines have RF remote controls. That's one plus I will give them. So if you have a TV in your bedroom and one in the living room, you can connect them both to the same receiver and control the receiver from either room.
Old 2005-10-15, 12:54 AM   #14
satellite

Star Choice gets charged by some of the channels based on how many recievers are in the house - so its not ALL just a cash grab.

$4.99/month x 12 = $60/year.
There was a remote extended in The Source by CC catalogue today for $70.
100' of Coax cable to run between your TVs runs about $40.
Splitters are around $10 at The Source.
Add in the time and effort to drill holes through your walls, floors, and ceilings (plus vacuuming all that pesky drywall dust) to string coax, and $4.99/month isn't looking too bad. Considering you're getting 2x the programming and a lifetime manufacturers warranty on your receivers, and it seems like a pretty good deal, at least to me.

As always though, your mileage may vary...
Old 2005-10-15, 11:03 AM   #15
smp01

And if you have 3 or more receivers, you price per receiver goes down.

For me the extra fee has paid for itself because it warranties certain units. I have had to have 2 401 units replaced.