Canada to lose TBS? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-07-21, 02:30 AM   #1
CorSter

Default Canada to lose TBS?

WTBS will be switching to PeachTree TV this fall... as far as I know the national TBS feed is not licensed in Canada, is this the end of TBS in Canada?
CorSter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-07-21, 11:13 AM   #2
TJ77
Veteran

It's true that WTBS is allowed while TBS is not. I wouldn't worry. At least one of the service providers is going to have to file with the CRTC anyway since the WTBS call letters are changing also.
TJ77 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-21, 04:40 PM   #3
waterug

I wouldn't mind seeing TBS or WTBS dropped in favour of TNT. TBS isn't as good as it used to be unless you like re-runs; TNT has more drama series and sports programming.
waterug is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-22, 12:18 AM   #4
TJ77
Veteran

There has been no talk of TNT, but Shaw did file an app to allow USA Network in Canada. No decision has been made yet.
Old 2007-07-23, 01:08 PM   #5
smallmj

WTBS has turned in to the place to watch badly edited movies. When I'm looking for movies to record on my PVR, I skip anything that is on this channel. They are just too painful to watch.
smallmj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-23, 06:56 PM   #6
CorSter

I wouldn't mind keeping the future WPCH as they'll continue to broadcast the braves games, but as TBS will now show national MLB games, i'd rather not rely on Sportsnet to show them.
CorSter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-24, 01:26 AM   #7
I_Want_My_HDTV

Cool

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing TBS or WTBS dropped in favour of TNT.
I would like to see USA network, FX and Showtime as well. They have lots of original shows that don't get a decent airing in Canada. Law and Order:CI is on USA instead of NBC this Fall as well. I'm not holding my breath though.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I pay good money to the Canadian Awful Broadcasters.
I_Want_My_HDTV is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-24, 01:52 PM   #8
TJ77
Veteran

Hopefully the CRTC hands down a decision on USA very soon...
Old 2007-07-24, 02:31 PM   #9
no1important

Why? So much will be replaced due to Canadian rights. It will be a watered down version and a waste of space in reality.

I remember when I had shaw for tv that Spike channel was so watered down and the same old re runs due to 'cdn rights' and USA would be no different.
no1important is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-24, 05:23 PM   #10
TJ77
Veteran

I guess I totally over looked that. Spike doesn't appear to be overly watered down to me, but maybe so.
Old 2007-07-24, 05:24 PM   #11
bigoranget
Veteran

In recent years, Spike has developed more original programs and has cleared more if it's programming for Canada as well.
bigoranget is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-24, 08:25 PM   #12
PlayitSimple

USA Network would only be 'watered down' in the beginning but all contracts they have with CDN networks will end eventually. So once they do they would be able to show these progams on USA Network- Canadian feed. Also as bigoranget mentioned, shows come and go so with any new shows they develop they can negotiate different deals with Canadian channels that would allow them to air the shows on their channel as well.

I think Shaw is using USA Network as a test case, if the CRTC lets this one in then look for Shaw or others to apply for other U.S. services.
PlayitSimple is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-26, 02:20 AM   #13
sabres12

I'd hate to lose TBS b/c of Braves Baseball. TNT is a great network. Used to pull it down off the old C-Band Dish off of G5 ch. 17. USA Network was G5 ch 19. I missed that channel as well. It introduced shows like Pacific Blue and La Femme Nakita back in the day. Not to mention TNT and good old now defunt WCW Nitro on Monday Nights for a 3 hour timeslot. I went through withdrawals after the big dish went down. I'd love to see TNT and USA Network both be approved for broadcast in Canada.
sabres12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-26, 12:21 PM   #14
classicsat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77 View Post
I guess I totally over looked that. Spike doesn't appear to be overly watered down to me, but maybe so.
I guess you seen those Bond marathons? Or endless runs if V.I.P.?
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-07-26, 05:17 PM   #15
TJ77
Veteran

Very true, but this doesn't happen on a daily basis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.