Guidelines for Selling (and Buying) a used Rogers Terminal in Ontario - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-05-31, 01:48 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Guidelines for Selling (and Buying) a used Rogers Terminal in Ontario

Notes by 57: When purchasing a used STB:

1. Call Rogers with the name of the seller and the STB number before purchase. This is to ensure that it's not a rental and is properly in Rogers system and is allowed by Rogers.

2. Ensure the seller deactivates the STB or tells Rogers they're selling it so that you can then activate it.

3. You must call Rogers when you get the STB home to authorize it.

4. You must have the cable properly connected and a good signal to the STB for it to function/boot.

5. Sometimes another call by the seller is required after the buyer has the STB in his possession and is trying to activate it (due to Rogers Computer issues - there must be some difference between the "check" and the "activate" steps in Rogers' computer system)

6. You cannot use a STB that is not a Rogers Ontario STB.

See also the following post showing the active STBs. No good purchasing one that you can't activate, but you'd know that if you called in per step 1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...93#post1865193

7. In the event you wish to incorporate the STB into a WHPVR setup, a truck roll (service call) will likely be required.

8. Sometimes we get questions about "moving" a STB from one subscriber to another without calling Rogers. This is against the Terms of Service with Rogers, they can find out (monitoring location), and both people could be in trouble with Rogers.

Today I wanted to know whether it was possible to sell Rogers Digital Terminals to other Rogers Customers and what the rules were surrounding the transfer of ownership.

I searched the forum and found lots of threads discussing the buying and selling of equipment that was previously used on other cable systems (typically U.S. systems or Videotron) but no single thread focused on equipment being sold from one Rogers subscriber to another.

Most of this information is noted in other posts but in the interest of putting it all in one thread and making it easier for members to find I have created this thread.

The purpose of this thread is members to discuss an issues surrounding the buying and selling of Rogers equipment to other Rogers Customers. In order to maintain the usefulness of this thread, PLEASE DO NOT POST questions about trying to activate NON Rogers equipment on the Rogers system or trying to activate Rogers equipment on other cable systems.

I contacted Rogers today and here is what they told me:
  • Rogers Customers can sell their Digital terminal to another Rogers subscriber;
  • Unlike some satellite companies we know, there is no service fee to de-activate (seller) or activate (buyer) the Digital Terminal;
  • The CSR recommended the seller advise Rogers of who is buying the box (along with the serial number of the box being sold) in order to eliminate any problems for the buyer when activating the used terminal;
  • Extended Warranties, if purchased by the original owner, are NOT transferable.
Please feel free to add any tips or additional information.

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-06 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added Note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-05-31, 02:44 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Clarification: I'm assuming this thread is applicable to Rogers Ontario, which uses SA and Cisco STBs, or to Rogers Atlantic, which uses Motorola, however, you cannot use Motorola in Ontario, or SA/Cisco in Atlantic Canada. So you need to purchase from a Rogers customer in your region.

Here are a couple of links on buying...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/05/bu...box-in-canada/

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-06 at 09:59 AM.
Old 2007-05-31, 02:52 PM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Good Point. This forum is for Ontario but to elminate any confusion I have edited the title of the thread
Old 2007-05-31, 08:33 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

A further option, if I'm not mistaken, is that a Rogers customer who owns their equipment -- SD, HD or PVR; ON or Atlantic -- has the option to "re-sell" the box back to Rogers for a fixed fee provided the box is less than three years old. I believe that policy is to discourage piracy AND to recover subsidies Rogers pays on every purchase box.

This may not net you quite as much as finding a Rogers buyer on e-bay and paying commissions and shipping, etc; but it is a guaranteed cash settlement.
Old 2007-05-31, 10:42 PM   #5
dcomp11

We purchased an Explorer 3200 from someone years ago, so I don't know if the procedure or policy has changed. Basically, the person who owns the box has to call Rogers and tell them to not only deactivate the box, but to disassociate it from their account because they are selling it privately. Then when you receive it, you call in and simply activate it on your account. If they do not properly disassociate the box, then it cannot be used on your account until that is done.
Old 2007-06-01, 01:02 PM   #6
rpr

I did exactly that when I bought a used one a few months ago and had no problems activating it.

Last edited by magnet; 2007-06-01 at 01:42 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Old 2007-08-22, 12:57 AM   #7
Quadratic

A few words of caution when buying/selling digital terminals:

First, the serial number must be removed from one account before it can be added to another. As such, if you are the seller make sure you call Rogers or go to a store to have the serial number removed from the account BEFORE you give it to the buyer. This is a very common problem, when someone wants to activate their terminal but the CSR is unable to do it because it's bound to another account, and of course the CSR can't remove it from the account without the permission of the seller (account holder to the account the serial number is bound to).

Also, if you plan to cancel your whole account, and sell the purchased terminal to another customer, make sure you either do this AFTER the account is completely disconnected or have the serial number removed from the account before you give Rogers your 30-days notice. During the 30-days when your account is pending disconnection, the serial number will be locked to the old account, and transfer of ownership will not be possible.

When buying a terminal it's always a good idea to call Rogers with the serial number before the purchase to make sure it's free for use, and to make sure it's not a rental terminal. For security reasons a CSR will be unable to tell you what person is using the box if it's in use, but they will be able to tell you one way or the other if the serial number is currently bound to another account, and if it's owned by Rogers as a rental or not. This is extremely important because there have been people in the past selling rental terminals to other customers, either out of ignorance or stupidity (they wouldn't make any money since they'd just be charged for not returning the equipment to Rogers anyway). Either way, double-checking with Rogers before buying the box is a great idea, and always encouraged.

Finally, while it's true that there is no activation or deactivation fee for the digital terminal, the regular digital services fee still applies.
Quote:
The CSR recommended the seller advise Rogers of who is buying the box (along with the serial number of the box being sold) in order to eliminate any problems for the buyer when activating the used terminal
I'm not sure what the CSR's rationale was for this suggestion. As long as the serial number is off the seller's account, and the buyer can read the serial number when they call in to have it activated, there should be no problems for the buyer. Even if the seller informs Rogers of who the buyer is, Rogers won't activate the terminal on the buyers account, or even associate the serial number with the account, without the buyers consent.

Last edited by Quadratic; 2007-08-22 at 01:17 AM.
Old 2007-09-06, 02:38 PM   #8
buzzinhornets

thanks. this is a useful post.
Old 2008-09-02, 11:45 PM   #9
dishguy1977

A few posts up someone mentioned that Rogers will re-purchase a box back from someone if they choose to sell it. I have a 3250HD that I would like to upgrade to a 8300HD - any idea what Rogers would give me for the 3250HD? Has anyone confirmed this is possible.

I plan on calling tomorrow but can already anticipate the akward silence when I ask the CSR if such a program exists....
Old 2008-09-03, 12:26 AM   #10

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I recall that Shaw has a trade-up programme, however, I don't recall Rogers having one. Let us know what you find out.

Even if they had such a programme, you may be better off using the SA3250HD on another TV, or selling it to another Rogers customer - several have been sold on this forum.
Old 2008-09-03, 08:08 PM   #11
dishguy1977

So I called Rogers today and as anticipated I got the akward silence after I asked the question followed by a "uhhhh...I don't think so....". Sigh...like 57 said I am probably better off selling it privately.
Old 2008-09-14, 11:17 AM   #12
wideband
Rookie

Quadratic wrote: 'The CSR recommended the seller advise Rogers of who is buying the box (along with the serial number of the box being sold) in order to eliminate any problems for the buyer when activating the used terminal'

When I enquired at a store selling used electronics about buying a Rogers cable box, I was told they were never bought or sold by the owner. His reason: 'So many people who have them on rental try to sell them. Of course, they have no right to do so. The police and Rogers are very well aware of this.'
Old 2009-10-03, 09:23 AM   #13
tombiosis
Rookie

To me, Rogers policies on this make no sense. If someone owns a piece of equipment, they should be able to do what they want without any "approval" from rogers. I understand that the serial number associated to an account is an issue, but they need to come up with a better way to deal with it.
I know of an instance where a person upgraded to a PVR, and told Rogers to remove the older SAT from their account. In typical Rogers fashion, this request was never carried through. When the next person wanted to activate the box, he had to try and get the original owner to call them, which may or may not be possible, depending on the circumsstances. What if the person has moved to Australia? what if they are now in a coma?...You get the point.

Lets suppose I had an older box and I told Rogers to remove it from my account. They fail to do so, (which is not surprising given their rep,) and then I sell it to consumer B. Before consumer B activates it, they find a better deal on a different one, so they in-turn sell it to consumer C. Consumer C has no way to reach me to ask that I call again.!?
Or
Let's suppose I will all my electronics to my neighbor, and then I pass way (god forbid ). I'll bet my neighbor has major problems activating the equipment.

Once a seller has his money, I doubt they will be motivated to put up with the long waits and confused CSR's by calling Rogers to help out the buyer. maybe Rogers should contact the seller themselves to make sure they no longer want the box! Then the seller is free to put them on hold, transfer their call to the wrong department, cut them off, make them wait, repeat their info over and over, and generally make their life a living hell.
Old 2009-10-03, 10:26 AM   #14

As with all things used, it's up to the buyer to make certain that the item he purchases is in good working order and can be used for the application. (Caveat Emptor).

Equipment can be stolen, therefore it's incumbent on the buyer to check everything. This may require appropriate actions by the seller, which the buyer would need to check were done before purchase.

For example, if you purchase a house or car for full price, but there's a lien against the house or car, then the house/car is not yours. This is the same.
Old 2009-10-06, 05:19 PM   #15
tvlurker
Veteran

Quote:
Let's suppose I will all my electronics to my neighbor, and then I pass way (god forbid ). I'll bet my neighbor has major problems activating the equipment.
The executor of the estate would contact Rogers. There still might be issues if this is done during the 30 day cancellation window.