Where do you buy banana plugs? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2006-01-04, 07:59 PM   #1
Moorthy

Default Canadian Source For Locking Banana Plugs

Does anyone know of one?

I'd love to order the GLS locking bananas as advertised on Ebay, but the sole distributor will not mail to Canada.

You have to love those Americans that fear mailing to "foreigners".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-01-05, 05:39 PM   #2
tubby

http://www.partsconnexion.com may have something for you depending an how high end you want.
Old 2006-01-21, 03:08 AM   #3
Audiophile

Default Canadian Source for Banana Plugs

http://www.rpelectronics.com/ Located in Burnaby B.C. Good selection of types, good quality and very reasonably priced. You can order online from web catalogue or phone. I have just bought 14 gold plated for my HT. $6.40 for 2 cdn.
Old 2006-01-21, 12:18 PM   #4
quietdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile
http://www.rpelectronics.com/ Located in Burnaby B.C. Good selection of types, good quality and very reasonably priced. You can order online from web catalogue or phone. I have just bought 14 gold plated for my HT. $6.40 for 2 cdn.
Are any of these locking plugs that secure the plug into the socket?

Do any of these plugs require a wrench or hex key to secure the wire, or provide strain relief?

Also see this thread.
Old 2006-01-23, 05:37 AM   #5
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdragon
Are any of these locking plugs that secure the plug into the socket?

Do any of these plugs require a wrench or hex key to secure the wire, or provide strain relief?

Also see this thread.
The Banana Plugs I am using are DUAL Banana Plugs item 377-502 $6.40 each and I use 7 of them. They fit the speaker terminals of my Sony ES 3000receiver very securely and take the strain much better than when I had the wire on the posts. As the Dual plugs are attached by a plastic bridge there is no chance of shorting. It is a much safer, cleaner way to go.
Old 2006-01-23, 05:49 AM   #6
Audiophile

Quote:

Here is a little more definitive information. The item number is 377-501 Dual Banana Plug W Term These are all metal color coded red and black, gold plated plugs two are attached together with a plastic colored Red or Black bridge so that they cannot touch or short. The speaker wire is attached through a hole which is torqued down by a thumb screw at the top end of each plug. The result looks very professional. This item is not listed in their on line catalogue, however it is stocked and can be ordered by phone using the above item number. I assume it is a new item.
Old 2006-01-24, 08:26 PM   #7
quietdragon

Quote:
Here is a little more definitive information. The item number is 377-501 Dual Banana Plug W Term These are all metal color coded red and black, gold plated plugs two are attached together with a plastic colored Red or Black bridge so that they cannot touch or short. The speaker wire is attached through a hole which is torqued down by a thumb screw at the top end of each plug.
Thanks for the detailed information. I have single banana plugs of similar construction now in that there is a thumb screw at the end to apply force to the cable that is inserted perpendicular to the plug midline. The plug is held in place in the socket by friction alone.

I do not like this construction much because I have found the thumb screw easily works loose, and I do not find that the plug itself is securely held in the socket.

Part of the problem can be addressed by attaching the wire to the plug parallel to the midline as described in this article at www.avsforum.com. There is also a picture that is helpful to understand the text.

I am looking for a better mechanical connection between the plug and wire, and the plug and socket, hence my earlier questions.
Old 2006-02-02, 10:00 AM   #8
quietdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdragon
Part of the problem can be addressed by attaching the wire to the plug parallel to the midline as described in this article at www.avsforum.com. There is also a picture that is helpful to understand the text.

I am looking for a better mechanical connection between the plug and wire, and the plug and socket, hence my earlier questions.
I managed to perform an accidental experiment. After knocking out my right hand speaker banana plug two weekends ago, I reattached them using the above technique.

On the other hand, the left hand side speaker was left with the wire passing transverse to the plug through the big hole, and torqued down with the screw at the end.

Last night I was recalibrating the preamp settings after getting a new center speaker, and discovered that I had to reduce the right hand speaker volume by 3-4 dB to equalise the volume with the left hand speaker.

I couldn't figure it out at first, and only this morning did I realise that it must be because of the reconfigured banana plug.

The conclusion is that you will get a superior wire-to-plug connection using the inline method than the transverse method of connection when using plugs with this configuration.
Old 2006-02-02, 12:37 PM   #9
Marvin G

Location: Thornhill, Rogers, SA3250, Sanyo PLV-Z4, Carada 102", Panny RP56 DVD, HKAVR525, Klipsch, MX700

Did you try the supplier direct? Ie Orange County Speaker at http://www.speakerrepair.com/index.html Call them - 1-800-897-8373. Last email address I have is Bryan@SpeakerRepair.com

I ordered mine from them about tow years back - shipped to Thornhill, Ontario - no problem. They are realy super nice quality.

I went for the non-locking variety , I think these are them : http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana

At the time I shared concerns of some about accidentally pulling on the wire and doing some serious damage, So mine just slide snuggly nicely in and out. In fact did once accidentally yank the wrong wire and pulled the plugs out at the receiver end so I was kinda glad I didnt have the locking type and also yank the unit off the shelf onto the hardwood floor. But I cant say for sure how the locking ones would have held as I never tried them.

Anyway its a very nice product line.

Marvin
Old 2006-03-01, 05:09 PM   #10
jagg01

try axiom audio. canandian speaker manufacturer with accessories.

www.axiomaudio.ca
Old 2007-05-29, 11:34 PM   #11
d2e8b8

Default Where do you buy banana plugs?

ok, I never thought it would be so hard to find locking (screw type0 banana plugs at a reasonable price.

A good explanation here - http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...ermination.pdf

Anyone know of a place where I can buy reasonably decent locking type banana plugs (preferably 2 screws) at about $5 / pair or less in Missisauga/ Brampton/ Oakville.

I prefer not to buy US online sites.
Old 2007-05-30, 01:27 AM   #12
timbo

The Source by Ciruit City (Radio Shack) sells banana plugs. I hope they have something that you can use.
Old 2007-05-30, 08:17 AM   #13
victor

Monoprice has excellent b-plugs. A month ago I ordered 5 pairs for 1.78 USD each and a week later got a small package in my mailbox. It's easier and cheaper then go to TheSource/RadioShack.

WBR, Victor.
Old 2007-05-30, 08:45 PM   #14
charlie3133

Yup Mononprice all the way. And the more you buy, the cheaper they get
Old 2007-05-31, 12:05 AM   #15
d2e8b8

Thanks for the replies. I should mention that I tried The source and all they had was compression type or solder type. FS/BB had very expensive stuff.

Monoprice seems to have what I need. I think Prod id 2943 will work for me.

Now I just have to overcome my phobia of using my credit card online. You see I don't really buy online if I can help it (I know - it probably doesn't make sense in this day and age but ...).