ISF HDTV Calibration Discussion (Who, Where, Why, How) - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2005-01-18, 01:02 PM   #106

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBBy
Is this normal for an ISF calibration?
Well, yes and no.

Yes, in that the technician will typically do "what you want" but charge accordingly.

No, in that most times an ISF technician will do more than what you indicated. See the link to "what an ISF tech does" in the Digital Home FAQ "What you need to do to your new HDTV".

How much did you pay?
Advertisement

Old 2005-01-18, 03:24 PM   #107
BiBBy

Paid $300...

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with the picture and resolution, I was just thought that the ISF guys do more from the service/ISF menu.

Thanks for the responses!
Bell Expressvu 6100 HD
Old 2005-01-18, 03:48 PM   #108
hugh
Member #1

Default ISF Calibration or just plain old Calibration?

Personally I highly recommend calibrating an HDTV but perhaps the most difficult part of calibration is finding someone qualified to do it.

Often people are looking for an ISF calibration.

ISF is an initialism for Imaging Science Foundation and it is a for profit organization which offers individuals seminars explaining how to calibrate sets.

Often it is held up as the gold standard for calibration yet critics argue the seminars are just that. A seminar with little or no hands on practical experience. In addition, critics argue that ISF is no assurance of quality and that an excuse to charge you more money.

What do you think?

Is ISF accreditation meaningful?
Old 2005-01-18, 03:52 PM   #109
casscarr2002

Bibby, where did you go or who did you contact for the calibration?
I'm in Oakville and will eventually (once I get a good unit for crap sakes) be getting it ISF calibrated as well. $300 not bad.
Old 2005-01-18, 05:25 PM   #110
WayneH

Don't forget JohnnyG here does that for a living I believe. He's in the Brampton area so Mississauga and Oakville should be within his territory. Hope it's OK to give a plug for a fellow member. I'm in Ottawa and have no other ties to this person other than his knowledgable expertise he has displayed at DHC.
Old 2005-01-18, 05:42 PM   #111

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's his website:

http://www.nbtelectronics.com/

You can see pricing and what he does (typically)
Old 2005-01-18, 10:15 PM   #112
Battscrew

For those that are serious about calibration then it helps, but as with other industries it could also be something the store owner would like on the wall.

I tried calling and emailing a local home theatre company that had the logo on their trucks. They have not called me back yet (over a year now).

I went with a local independant fellow(had ISF ) here in Calgary and I am satisfied.
Old 2005-01-19, 07:17 AM   #113
biglyle

The differance in a properly calibrated set is remarkable. The problem we canucks have is the lack of qualified people who this type of work.
It would be great to have a sticky somewhere with a list of people in various locations who do this kind of work. This could also give members who have had it done a chance to post some reviews of the work.
Old 2005-01-19, 07:24 AM   #114
maxyvits

There's always the service menu with good calibration directions and settings out there (i.e., on the internet), although I admit that taking such a route is not for the faint of heart.
Old 2005-01-19, 07:24 AM   #115
hugh
Member #1

thanks bliglyle and maxyvits, but I'm not asking if people should calibrate their set.

The purpose of this thread is to ask, if and when you calibrate, is getting someone who is ISF "certified", significant or not?
Old 2005-01-19, 08:24 AM   #116
maxyvits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
thanks bliglyle and maxyvits, but I'm not asking if people should calibrate their set.

The purpose of this thread is to ask, if and when you calibrate, is getting someone who is ISF "certified", significant or not?
Right, my contention was not that people should or shouldn't calibrate their set (themselves), but that that option is available to them.

From what I've read on AVS forums, ISF certified calibrators will go the extra mile and employ cleaning techniques and high tech equipment to calibrate the set within accceptable range. It isn't cheap, however, and so I took the unprofessional route and am quite happy with the results. I saved myself $300+ anyway :-D
Old 2005-01-19, 08:49 AM   #117
Battscrew

Just to add to my previous post.

Is ISF accreditation meaningful?

Yes

The gent who did my set explained to me what the seminars were and what he did to increase his practical experience - a lot of times doing it for free to gain that experience. Also the cost of the calibration tools and equipment. this increased my comfort level with the process and the results are great.

If you go to keohi hdtv forum there is a spot to post your review of your calibration - also at the ISF site I believe there is a search for ISF techs in your area.
Old 2005-01-19, 09:09 AM   #118
biglyle

"is getting someone who is ISF "certified", significant or not?"

Very significant. ISF calibrators have equipment that can accurately measure and adjust grey scale, something that is nearly impossible by eye. Getting your set to a color temp of 6500K is crucial in achieving the best picture you can.
Along with this, geometry setting using templates, electronic and mechanical focus are all better done by an experienced pro.
Add in a some duvetyne cabinet lining and you are all set.
Can it be done ny yourself? Yes. I however think certain things are best left to the experts.

"I went with a local independant fellow(had ISF ) here in Calgary and I am satisfied."

Being in Calgary, you are lucky enough to have Micheal Chen in your close proximity. I wish I had that option here.
Old 2005-01-19, 09:12 AM   #119
BiBBy

casscar, there is a home theater store here in mississauga that offers isf calibration, but I kind of talked to the isf person myself without going to the store and the isf person charged me $300 (under the table). But if you were to go through the store to get calibration they charge $400 +tax.

I'll PM you his number if you want.
Bell Expressvu 6100 HD
Old 2005-01-19, 11:54 AM   #120
JohnnyG
Veteran

I'd say it's pretty insignificant. The primary reason I say that is because aside from me, I don't know of any practicing calibrators who haven't taken the ISF course. I can't imagine anybody coming into the business today without doing that as a first step.

And, it's critically important to know that having those 3 letters does not mean you know your way around a TV. That only comes from experience.

Also, an "ISF" calibration is about 1/5 of what I do. ISF is grey scale and user controls. A professional calibrator will go well beyond that.