Official Shaw Cable vs Satellite TV thread - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-10-03, 11:56 AM   #61
HDMark

I've actually just switched back from Bell to Shaw. I gave up an old 3100 to get a HD PVR and had some old digital boxes for my other tvs. I will save $50 per month simply by switching to Shaw, so I couldn't justify Bell's higher cost anymore.

I have the Shaw junction box (not sure if that's the right term) on my front yard, so I get really good signals.

My 2 cents:

Bell Advantages:

NFL ST HD - all games in HD that are available
CI HD - per the prior post
PVR - slightly better
NCAA Football / basketball Package
Slightly better HD Picture quality

Disadvantages:

Only 4 HD PPV channels
No HD / SD VOD
Weather Network local forecast is clunky to get to
Price of rentals
You must have 2 lines going to the PVR to have dual tuner functionality
You must have a phone line hooked up to order PPV
Speed of changing channels (minor)
Dish on house

FWIW

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-10-07, 11:25 PM   #62
actionshots

Default Thinking of switching to Shaw

I've been with BEV since 2003 and have been pretty satisfied, but I hadn't subscribed to HD (one receiver, one Line). We mostly watch news, sports (CBC hockey, Fox soccer, some TSN, Discovery, time shifted programs etc). I'm ripping apart my family room and installing hidden cables, a new fireplace and hardwood flooring. Since I don't have any other access points I've suspended my Bell for a couple of months whilst I complete the work.

So when I'm ready to re-subscribe (with a new TV and HD) I thought I should consider Shaw. Bell will give me an HD PVR at 50%, but I'm thinking the programming will be expensive. From what I've read, Shaw should be less per month, is this correct? Will my old cable in the house (about 20 yrs old) support digital?

Do you think there will be any pre-Christmas deals coming up?
Old 2008-10-08, 06:57 PM   #63
Nanuuk
Veteran

Your old cable should work fine. Shaw will replace it though if you are having signal issues. Is Shaw cheaper vs Bell? I think its comparable, but you will have an higher initial capital cost. Where Shaw shines (on the cost issue) relative to satellite is the savings that come from bundling internet and phone. Many members have reported quality issues with picture and sound and often threaten to move to satellite. As far a pre-Christmas deals goes, Shaw's M.O. is very different from satellite. Not too many deals to be had other than a free month of phone or discounted internet plus PPV's, etc.

You may also wish to consider Telus TV as there is no initial capital outlay (no PVR either), but they do have bundles (phone, internet, and tv), HDTV, and their service comes from Bell.
Old 2008-10-08, 10:01 PM   #64
actionshots

Default Telus TV not available

Checked it out, but only seems to be in the major cities. It would have been a good choice since I have Telus phone and internet.

From my initial investigation I think I'd be able to get Shaw quite a bit cheaper, but I have yet to do a comprehensive comparison. I've now got a few weeks before I make a decision. Just in case I'll pull another cable under the subfloor before I start laying the hardwood, might as well be prepared for all possibilities!
Old 2008-10-19, 03:14 PM   #65
ejm

Default Bell to Shaw

After years of Bell I can no longer put up with the complete lack of consideration from Bell's service department. I could write a horror story for every year I have been with them. Their only response is "what if we give you 50% off your next 6 mos of programing", (we are over 100.00 per mo.) but that is not worth the agrevation.

Regards
Emmett
Old 2008-10-20, 12:50 PM   #66
HDMark

For those thinking of switching, I've just posted in the leaving Bell sticky.

Everything you order, for ppv packages (NFL ST, NHL CI, NCAA) is negative option billed.

So unless you call and cancel, they bill for the WHOLE SEASON. Its something to be aware of if you're considering them.

Regards,

Mark
Old 2008-10-20, 01:07 PM   #67

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
Everything you order, ...is negative option billed.
This is the equivalent of an oxymoron. Since you order it, it can't be negative billing. Since you've ordered the item, you must cancel it if you don't want it after a "free period". This is not negative billing, since you're aware of the terms and since you initiated the order. (although I do understand what you're driving at - you're the one that needs to cancel, but that's no different than those "free subscriptions" that you get - if you don't cancel after a certain time, you get billed.
Old 2008-10-21, 12:50 AM   #68
skysaxon

Just came back from a bar that had ExpressVU on LG plasma (at least I think it was plasma) and TSN was so absolutely clear. You could see the twinkle in the eyes and the graphics were bright and rock solid. When I got home to my Sharp LCD 42 inch with Shaw HD PVR the sharpness was gone, eyes do not sparkle. Everything looks dull and nothing jumps off the screen like Blu does. I tried every type of adjustment on the setup menu.

Is Shaw this inferior to Bell or is my Converter box not functioning properly?
Old 2008-10-21, 01:30 AM   #69
trainwalker

Location: Shaw employee. My thoughts are my own and not my employers.

Quote:
Is Shaw this inferior to Bell or is my Converter box not functioning properly?
Ever consider it's just your tv?
Old 2008-10-21, 10:56 AM   #70
skysaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwalker View Post
Ever consider it's just your tv?
Could be. But Blu Ray looks fantastic and computer images and games are crystal clear.

Doing a little research, I have discovered that plasmas are much brighter and the contrast is superior to LCD. Perhaps that is what I was seeing. I improved my LCD image by increasing the contrast into positive territory and decreasing the brightness into negative. Looks much cleaner and realistic. But still not nearly as good as that LG I saw in the bar.
Old 2008-10-21, 03:05 PM   #71
trainwalker

Location: Shaw employee. My thoughts are my own and not my employers.

How is the digital box connected to the tv? and is it set up properly (power, then menu/settings) for the proper output?

Some channels are upconverted on shaw. The only true HD one's are HDNET, cbc, and a few others. Some of them do air pure HD content, but not all the time.
Old 2008-10-21, 07:20 PM   #72
HDMark

57, I don't want to start a debate here on what is or isn't negative option billing. However, according to the Alberta government website, any service that isn't ordered and and then is billed is considered negative option billing.

I guess where there's debate here is did I order the 2007 season, or the entire NFL seasons in perpetuity, which I certainly did not.

Your quote "but that's no different than those "free subscriptions" that you get - if you don't cancel after a certain time, you get billed."

That is the exact definition of negative option billing as described in the Alberta Fair Trading act.

Anyway, all that to say that Shaw goes to the extreme and makes you call in to continue services, while Bell "assumes" (to put it nicely) that you want those services.

I would rather have the mistake made that I don't want them (Shaw) and have to call in to have them put on again, then they assuming I want them (Bell) and have to call to cancel and then be forced to pay for a whole season.
Old 2008-10-28, 07:49 PM   #73
skysaxon

Went back to the bar and enjoyed Monday Night Football on Bell. The picture was as fantastic as I remembered it. Crisp, sharp images. The action had a little bit of blurring in the action but the more stable images were stunning. Jennifer Hedger's eyes were twinkling and her lip gloss shone. The reflection off the helmets clearly showed the stands and background.

All four TVs - all the same brand, size - had four different games showing. Some better than the others. The TV next to the Bell set changed for a few minutes to the Shaw version of the same TSN game. No contest. The Shaw version looked like my TV. Softer, less bright and less colourful. Like it wasn't quite focused. I was disappointed and relieved. At least it's not my set and not my cable box.

So, my question is why so many people prefer Shaw's HD on this forum to Bell when in my personal side-by-side comparison, there was no contest?
Old 2008-10-28, 07:54 PM   #74
skysaxon

Connected by Rocketfish HDMI cable and high end component cables hand made by a guy in Ontario. (the HDMI is sharper but the colours on the component are better). It's set to 720p. 16:9. I can't think of anything that will improve on that.
Old 2008-11-01, 02:57 PM   #75
kittyman

Location: VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA, BELL INTERNET, BELL HDTV PVR, SHAW DIGITAL PHONE
Smile Shaw and Bell Cons and Pros

SHAW :

Pros
-Free analog distribution to other TVs via a splitter
-Good tech support
-Friendly Staff
-Great HDTV Quality
-Free CSR Support and Service Calls

Cons
-Digital Phone has hum for me
-Analog signal weak on the digital HDTV Box
-Waits for a CSR and A Tech to come out and fix my box