Official Shaw Cable vs Satellite TV thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-09-16, 04:23 PM   #46
Punchdrunkjay73

Default My switch to Shaw

HD is amazing with Shaw! Better than Bell IMHO. As soon as I saw NG HD I knew I had done the right thing. HDNET is by far the best quality picture out of all HD but MC 1 and 2 are a close second/third. SD PQ on other are great, no macroblocking like Telus and this was even greater when I hooked my 37 Regza. Now with Shaw the blacks are black and not grey. Traded two dead Bell recievers for a 6412 and a 700 and I couldn't be happier!

Jay

Advertisement

Old 2007-09-17, 10:29 PM   #47
HDMark

Default Update on my satellite swap

Had the Shaw installer in today. I was going to trade in 2 receivers I got off craigslist. One had the card.

First, I got the "don't you have cards for both receivers?"

So I only got the 6412 for free and had to pay for the other DCT 700. I promptly called Shaw and they gave me another month of my free preview which is equal to about the DCT 700 I had to pay for. They hadn't told me that I needed the cards.

Initial thoughts:

HD - as good if not better on Shaw than BEV (other than CBSE HD - not great)
Guide - better on BEV
PVR - the only thing I miss is the jump ahead button on the BEV remote
Remotes - BEV UHF rocks!!

All this I can get over for not having to spend $35 per month renting an HD PVR, and 3 - 4100's from BEV.

Mark
Old 2007-09-17, 11:59 PM   #48
ARR

CompressVu HD, no surprise there.
Prevue guide is pretty plain, I like the Starchoice guide WAY better.
Which jump ahead? Guide or PVR playback?
Try the 2nd and 3rd button below the Volume on the left.
Below Volume is MUTE, then SKIP, which is 30 seconds forward and below that is replay, which is 15 seconds back.

If you have an older PVR remote, goto their web site for instructions to program the remote or take it in and ask for a NEW one with the SKIP buttons.

Cables boxes don't do UHF, bummer.
Old 2007-09-18, 12:40 PM   #49
HDMark

Thanks for the tips. I did get the skip ahead figured out.

The skip ahead I was referring to on BEV was the PVR skip ahead which has a great response time.

PVR on Shaw didn't work last night. It would freeze up. I called Shaw this morning and they reset it and it seems to be working fine now.

I'll try it again tonight to make sure everything's ok.

Again, in watching HD on Shaw, I don't see any noticeable difference, plus there was a show I was actually watching on Showcase HD vs. Oasis, Treasure, Equator, Rush and BEV Barker channel, which I found virtually useless.

Mark
Old 2007-09-19, 10:49 AM   #50
HDMark

Default Problems with Shaw HDPVR

An update:

I have had problems with the pvr. Monday night, it would freeze and go black when I was watching Prison break & K-Ville. Phoned Tuesday morning and they reset the pvr and it seemed to work fine.

Last night, recorded House. Started, pvr said "this function is not available". Called Shaw and they reset it again.

Started watching House....about half way through, you guessed it, it froze and went black.

Called Shaw tech support again, and they have scheduled a service call for Friday morning.

I am willing to give them one more chance to fix this before I reinstall my Bell 9200.

On a positive note, Shaw customer / tech service has been 100% more friendly than Bell, and more accomodating.
Old 2007-09-20, 10:36 AM   #51
Robertazimmerman

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but a lot of the so-called HD channels on ExpressVu are NOT in HD. They are upconverted 480i signals that look marginally better upconverted than they do in standard 480i.

All of the specialty channels, including Treasure, Oasis, HDNet, Equator, Rush are broadcast in 1080i and are true HD, but I don't know anyone who watches these channels, other than to show their friends and family how nice their HD picture is!

The US network feeds are generally HD in prime time, but not always! I've seen shows that have their "HD" logos stuck on the screen and the show is being carried in Bell's 800s as upconverted SD.

So I guess the true test would be to see if Shaw or Rogers show all of the HD shows in HD. Bell certainly doesn't!

Roberta
Old 2007-12-19, 04:20 AM   #52
Ren

"So I guess the true test would be to see if Shaw or Rogers show all of the HD shows in HD. Bell certainly doesn't!"

Shaw doesn't I was in one of their stores on the weekend and asked that question.
Old 2007-12-19, 10:46 AM   #53
VuMax

Quote:
The US network feeds are generally HD in prime time, but not always! I've seen shows that have their "HD" logos stuck on the screen and the show is being carried in Bell's 800s as upconverted SD.
So I guess the true test would be to see if Shaw or Rogers show all of the HD shows in HD. Bell certainly doesn't!
Completely false. The networks and/or stations apply the logos to identify themselves, not the format of the show. If you see an "HD" logo on your screen it means you're watching their HD channel, not their SD channel. It has nothing to do with the program you're watching, which can be SD even if you see "HD" in the logo.

If Bell receives a program in HD from the originating network, they pass it on in HD. Same for Shaw, Rogers, Star Choice, etc.
Old 2007-12-19, 02:14 PM   #54
oilblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
"So I guess the true test would be to see if Shaw or Rogers show all of the HD shows in HD. Bell certainly doesn't!"

Shaw doesn't I was in one of their stores on the weekend and asked that question.
Um, I think you're misunderstanding something. Shaw's HD channels show all the HD programming provided by the respective broadcaster. Shaw doesn't upconvert anything.

Some channels are 100% HD content (HDNet and Discovery HD are two examples). Others are a mix of HD and SD. That said, Shaw, or pretty much any provider, isn't the one doing an SD upconvert. It's the broadcaster.

Let's use CBS as an example:
- The Amazing Race - SD, so on the HD channel, it's an SD upconvert
- The Late Show with David Letterman - HD content (these days)

Pretty much anything on an HD channel with black bars on the side is an SD upconvert. There are additional scenarios:
- A&E (aka stretchy-vision)--they stretch *any* 4:3 content to fill the screen. Consequently, their SD-upconverts don't have black bars on the sides
- some widescreen content is really SD. Some TSN and CBC broadcasts are SD widescreen, and then upconverted on the HD channel. At this point Sportsnet's "Connected" is also SD widescreen (they're in the process of building a new studio). Picture quality is the way to tell.

The "July: What HD Channels are available in Canada?" article on DigitalHome.ca has some more details, including a table that lists each channel and their relative amount of HD programming.
Old 2008-08-08, 02:52 PM   #55
Freeborn

Default bell vs starchoice vs shaw

I am in the process of moving from Ontario to Alberta and need to select a new television provider. I had Rogers in ontario and it worked fantasic. Now I need to make a choice between shaw bell and sc. My criteria is biggest bang for the buck!

I had a free lifetime HD pvr rental and standard terminal rental at rogers and I also had a decent service for approx 55 dollars.

I want to get as close to that as possible. I do not want to spend 1000 in equipment, and I want to keep my monthly about the same. The channel package wasnt full, but wasnt basic either...good spread of kids stuff, and the usual (discover animal planet ect ect) and no sports/movies

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

again its all about best bang for the buck
Old 2008-08-09, 11:41 AM   #56
Dean W

EVU right now has he cheapest upfront costs for HDPVR.

Just so you know, there is no such thing as Rogers Super Sports Package, although Star Choice is your cheapest way to get NFL ST and NHL CI if that is what you are interested in. EVU will have the most HD in its NHL CI package of the 3.

I want to say Telus TV might have the cheapest upfront costs, but you can only have 2 receivers.

Shaw does have good bundling price for phone, TV, and internet.

Welcome to Alberta, enjoy no sales tax.
Old 2008-10-02, 08:08 PM   #57
KingBryan88
Rookie

Default Shaw HD vs. Bell HD

I am growing quite tired of Shaw. I want to know if the grass is really all that green on the other side though.

My major concerns are:
-Is Macro blocking better on Bell?
-What about Bell and audio drops?
-Does the PVR for Bell have the frequent delayed responses when you press the buttons on the remote?
-How is the Bell guide for recording shows? Alot of shows on my Shaw guide don't list when they're new so I have to record the repeats too. Is this a problem on Bell?

Some of the unknowns with Bell that I would like answered:
-How do you order PPV (satellite can't send signal back can it?)
-How often does the reception lose quality/reception because of clouds or storms. (I live in Langley, BC)
-I have three TV's, I have heard only 2 boxes per dish. What can I do?
-Can you record two programs, plus have all three TV's on at once? So can Bell handle 5 shows at once?

If someone with Bell could answer this:
What are your three biggest problems with Bell and there HD channels?
Old 2008-10-02, 08:31 PM   #58
Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBryan88 View Post
-Does the PVR for Bell have the frequent delayed responses when you press the buttons on the remote?
On the 2nd remote, which is UHF, there is a slight delay, but not on the 1st remote
Quote:
-How is the Bell guide for recording shows? Alot of shows on my Shaw guide don't list when they're new so I have to record the repeats too. Is this a problem on Bell?
It is a problem on Bell as well. Whether it is worse or better than Shaw, I don't know, as I don't have Shaw.
Quote:
Call in, or use your remote if the receiver is plugged into a phone line
Quote:
-How often does the reception lose quality/reception because of clouds or storms. (I live in Langley, BC)
I'm in Ontario, and I lose signal a few times a year (maybe 10?). But with the pvr, it usually isn't a big deal.
Quote:
Don't worry, you can have up to 6 receivers per account, and unlimited per dish.
Quote:
-Can you record two programs, plus have all three TV's on at once? So can Bell handle 5 shows at once?
The 9242 can record 2 shows at once, while watching another pre recorded show. The 9242 is designed to support 2 different tvs , but can be set up on one only, with a receiver at each of your other tv's.
I hope this helps you make your decision.
Old 2008-10-02, 10:35 PM   #59
dscott01

I had a SD Bell PVR in Abbotsford, BC (before the trees in the park grew in the way) and it was great. In the over 3 years I had Bell, I only noticed the service going down once for a few mins due to heavy storms in the area. If the service is going down 10 times a year I would say you might have some issues with low signal strenght.
Old 2008-10-03, 02:49 AM   #60
JeffCor

-Is Macro blocking better on Bell?
It hasn't been a huge problem, i had more problems when i was with Shaw.

-What about Bell and audio drops?
Bell has audio drops too, don't let anyone tell you different. The thing with Bell is they aren't nearly as rampant as they are with Shaw.

Nope. The Bell PVR is so much nicer and more responsive than the Shaw PVR. I would hate to go back the the Shaw PVR because the Bell one works so well. PLUS, I know this may be stupid, but the Bell PVR is black, the Shaw PVR was grey. I have all black components and a black tv stand, so my setup looks nicer now... It's not a big deal at all, just a nice added bonus for me, that's all.

I find Bell's guide and pvr set up to be more user friendly. You have the same controls as Shaw, but they are more intuitive and easier to edit the schedule of future recordings.

You can order Online, on the Phone and if you connect a phone line to the Bell receiver you can order directly through your guide.

I've had Bell since May 2008 and it's gone down twice so far. Both time for approximately 30 mins. I am in Coquitlam, BC.

Not positive on this, i would call or go into Bell to find out more info on this. Someone else might be able to answer this here. I am sure there is a way though.

As above, I am sure you can do this. If each TV has it's own receiver in theory you shouldnt have any issues.

What are your three biggest problems with Bell and there HD channels?
After having Shaw for 4 years and now Bell for 5 months I only have 1 gripe thus far:

Bell's customer service is hard to reach on Sunday evenings (peak calling times) and when you do get someone they're not always the brightest. I had to call back about the same issue 4 times.

That being said, their HD is so much better, with more channels and a hell of a lot better audio. Their Center Ice package is great too, 4 dedicated CI HD channels, and MultiView with up to 6 games on one screen and all the scores from around the league. I cannot wait for this season to begin. Last year I had Shaw's CI and i was not satisfied at all, which prompted me to switch, along with the horrible audio drops.