Starting Home Theater - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner > Home Theatre Construction

Old 2007-10-17, 12:03 AM   #46
PhilD

Well it is coming together, for the last week or so I have been using the room. I still need to get black out blinds for the one window and do the trim work and finish work on the doors but everything else is good to go for now. I still have a few upgrades to do 1) a new stand 2) AT screen 3) projector and 4) blu ray possibly

here are a few pics, oh an by the wall that cord is not hanging like that it was a test cord and is no longer there.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Later
Phil
Advertisement

Old 2008-01-14, 01:26 AM   #47
PhilD

Well the time is getting sort, I will be picking up a new projector for my room, I will however have to wait a bit on the screen I would like (Seymour AV) and use the cheaper one that will come with the package I am getting. Since this will be my first front projection kick at the can I have decided to go with a 720P Sanyo PLZ5 projector. All reviews I have read are excellent and the $$ value of this projector is top notch. I did flirt with the idea of the PLZ2000 and have not really made a the commitment yet. I have to do a refresher on my RXV2700 to see if it will pass 1080P if it will not then there is not much sense in getting a 1080P projector.

I currently have a 50" Panny PXU600 which is 720P-1080i and I have no complaints and since I bought this I have test drove many new 1080P displays and can not justlfy the selling and upgrading of my display any time soon. So I am thinking that a 720P projector will do a fine job as well.
I play Xbox 360, have a Bell HDPVR and a HD dvd all which look great in 720P so I am hoping the transfer to the larger screen will go well.

Any input would be appericiated.
Thanks
Phil
Old 2008-01-14, 09:07 PM   #48
ClgShaft

I am also debating the 720p vs a 1080p projector. I really like the sanyo 1080p.

But then again, what is in 1080p right now? Blue ray, which I have, but is it worth it.

I agree with the panny picture. I have a TH42PX60U, and no 1080p LCD TV's can compare, that I have tested anyway.

Have you looked at a DIY screen?

Good luck.
Old 2008-01-15, 10:29 AM   #49
Kaoru

Lightbulb 720p or 1080p

I've been running 1080i (as my Hitachi UltraVision projector is 720p) from my PS3/XBOX360 via HDMI to DVI (at the projector). This is matched up with my DIY 110" screen made with blackout fabric and screen goo (digital lite grey) from Goo Systems. My image quality is excellent at 1080i, as good as or better than any bought screen from what I can tell. I can't see it getting much better at 1080p other than the image being more solid especially for moving/high action scenes. In either case, watching the FIFA World Cup in 1080i on 110" was impressive from the comments I got from my friends. I'll move to 1080p when it's time to replace my projector but now I would rather save a lot of $$.

Cheers,
Kaoru

See my DIY screen instructions in my thread. Here is a sample of the image I get:
Old 2008-01-18, 08:13 PM   #50
2UTH DR

Phil,

How did you paint your wall plates? Did you prime them with something first and then put a couple coats on?

What kind of black out blinds are you getting and where do you get them?
Old 2008-01-18, 08:55 PM   #51
i hate tv

Quote:
here are a few pics, oh an by the wall that cord is not hanging like that it was a test cord and is no longer there.
Awesome job
I love threads like these, seeing it from discussion, to finished (or near finished)
Before I read your post, the first thing I said was "what a shame, all that work, and a wire right in front"
Congrats on you theater, your almost done, and now you can sit back, and enjoy the fruits of your labour!
Old 2008-01-19, 02:20 PM   #52
PhilD

2UTH I first sanded them down and then just used a small sponge roller to give them I think 4 coats...3 for sure. I think I will be going with a Hunter douglas blind because I only have to go with one I think I will splurge a bit. I was looking at this one but may have to get it out of Edmonton or special order http://www.hunterdouglas.com/hdg_pro...tail.jsp?id=35 there is also a battery powered lifting system for certain modles.

i hate tv yeah I think I woulod have freeked after all the work and needed to put one cord out in the open LOL. I think I would have cut the wall and put it in. I am hoping I can hide all the cords for the screen and projector seeing as I did not plan for them from the start. I am pretty sure I can with a little time and effort, mud tape and paint LOL

Later
Phil
Old 2008-01-29, 10:51 PM   #53
PhilD

Well I went ahead and finally will be adding the big screen and projector. I decided on the Epson 720 and 106" EluneVision High Definition Vivid Pro Cinema Grey Motorized Screen - 16:9, with a gain of 1.8. This is not the ideal setup I was hoping for but $$ flow for the acoustically transparent screes is just not here. I am a few months ahead of what I planned for the pj and screen though. I am hoping that the Elune Vision will be of good enough quality to last until I upgrade and it seemed cost effective enough to allow me to part with it at a used cost when the time comes. Man it was hard finding a screen that balanced quality and economy, it was more than I wanted to spend but I bit the bullet and went ahead for the quality seeing as I may have it for some extended period of time. Things should be arriving late this week or early next. I will get some pics up when I get a chance.

Later
Phil
Old 2008-02-01, 11:09 PM   #54
Ren

Very nice work dude! neat and tidy, I love it.
Old 2008-02-02, 09:07 PM   #55
PhilD

Thanks Ren...Shaft I can't do a DIY screen as I need an electric that will come down in front of my plasma, and go up out of hte reach of 4 year old fingers LOL. Speaking of clean and neat I did not plan for a HDMI connection at the rear of the room 20+ feet away and had to snake a 30'er the other night. Well let me tell you it was not fun at all. My main wall is a pony wall with lots of cables and boxes and everything is tied inplace. Getting that HDMI cable threw there took me 3 1/2 hrs and alot of F's and k's but I go it and now have unlimited placement for the PJ. It will be going on the back wall and be projected threw the wall via a projector opening, which I will cover up with either art or family photos seeing as the room is still a family room.

Later
Phil
Old 2008-02-05, 12:00 AM   #56
PhilD

Well not off to a good start with the projector set up.....UPS lost the projector but mannaged to get me the HDMI cable and mount which I do not need in 2 days, and my screen coming from a different location via Purolator has not been scanned for tracking since the 30th............................. Yes I do have tracking searches on both items as of today! Maybe I was not ment to go big screen LOL.

Later
Phil
Old 2008-02-08, 02:32 AM   #57
PhilD

Well I got me screen mounted and it looks nice and clean still. I flush mounted it to the drop down ceiling and I must say that it looks OK. I thought I was going to have to build a vailance around it to hid it but I think in doing so I would make it stick out more. The white case blends in well with the white tile. I got a 106"diag screen and when it is down it is large but not overpowering the room size. I have not had any picture projected on it as my Epson HC720 got somehow lost in the shipping....the dealer thinks someone in a Brown suite may ahve a new one LOL. Anyway another replacement is on the way and should be here Monday. I will get a couple of pictures on here soon. The install was a bit tricky and had to make some brackets in the joists and then get a friend to help me put it up, all in all about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs work...alot less time than snaking that last HDMI cable 30'.

Later Phil
Old 2008-02-12, 03:19 AM   #58
PhilD

All I can say is WOW!. I can not believe the PQ from the Epson 720 and the High Definition Vivid Pro Cinema Grey 1.8 screen. I am really happy with the outcome. I do have total light control so that may help. I just spent the last 3hrs going threw DVD's, HD DVD's, HDTV, SDTV, xbox 360 and they were great. Mind you xbox on a 106" is not as easy and I really did not care for gaming on it but that is not why I bought the PJ and screen. Out of the box it was very good I just did a quick crude video calibration for the time being.

I was watch from about 14' but the wife watched from about 9' off to the side of the room in "her" chair LOL. She said that it looked OK and that she did not mind the SD effect....after I told her what it was and what to look for she seen it. I could see it from 10' straight on. I look forward to getting some pics up here soon.

I also would like to say that I think I will be happy with just 720P and really for now I am glad I did not spend the extra grand.

Later
Phil
Old 2008-03-02, 04:39 PM   #59
PhilD

Well I took a crack at taking a screen shot last night. LOL I am not very good at it my camera seems to not want to take the pic and I end up gettign an out of focus picture. Here are a couple from Beowulf and Blue Planet and COD4 on xbox360 that are slightly out of focus I will keep trying.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Later
Phil