A Trip to Future Shop... - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2003

Old 2003-05-18, 03:10 PM   #16
beanagee1

Quote:
It's probably not fair to compare a US retailer to a Canadian one
I don't buy that for one second. A product that produced in Japan and neither country has much in the way of duties on electronics, why should there be a difference after make F/x adjustments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2003-05-18, 03:11 PM   #17
bolmsted
Veteran

You also have to take into account population differences. If there are 10000 people in Canada interested in a product, chances are there are about 100000 people interested in the U.S. which means lower prices due to volume orders.
Old 2003-05-18, 10:11 PM   #18
shark

heh, fun post to wade it.

57, I've certainly been there. I've got some ties to FS, people who work there (I'll be vague... ) I've seen it happen even when I'm in a store with them, an employee who -claims- to know something when they obviously doesn't. This is bad. When they then argue that -you- must be wrong, that's frankly worse.

However, and I think you made this point, this is certainly not symptomatic of FS, let alone Best Buy et al. I've consistently got far worse service over the years from the smaller chains (2001, et. al. - remember Majestic? hehe) then from FS. FS, BB, etc. are far better to shop at when -you know what you are looking for-. And, frankly 57, methinks that you do.

Now, not sure it's kosher for John to chime in, as he's obviously a direct competitor. Still, I respect his opinion so damn much doesn't really matter if it's necessarily unbiased or not.

As somebody who buys a heck of a lot of computer hardware direct from wholesalers, there are still some things (monitors, printers, etc.) that tend to be cheaper at FS - something to be said for mamoth buying power. Electronics are obviously the same.

I really have run into some employees that were excellent in one of two ways - 1) they were patient and informative, and never arogant, or, 2) the best kind, wise enough to let me "play" for a bit, and even eager to learn a thing or two that might help them with another customer.

For now, I buy all my stuff from one retailer on Kennedy, based entirely on excellent prices and, most imporantly, incredible service. They've bent over backwards for me, and I'm someone who rewards that loyalty. FS isn't really setup that way, so you certainly lose out on that. However, for the little things you might need, it's kinda nice to have a place to go.

As for the plasma prices, never play the US dollar exchange game with anything that needs to be plugged into a wall. Just some polite advice, it'll drive you nuts. Be happy we have the cheapest dvds/cds in the world.
Old 2003-05-19, 04:59 AM   #19
I_Want_My_HDTV

Quote:
Some things are just cheaper in Canada and some things are cheaper in the USA.
I think it is a good comparison. Since "Free Trade", retailers are playing on a level playing field since there are no hidden taxes. If you take the cost of a US item, add shipping and calculate the exchange then you have a good comparison. Sometimes it is better to shop locally but I have been shafted by rigid policies at local stores. If I am quoted CDN$300 locally for an item I can mail order for CDN$190 from the US then I know the Canadian distributor is scrooing me. :evil: I often find that it is cheaper or about the same cost to buy in Canada from competitive retailers.
Old 2003-05-19, 11:40 AM   #20
JohnnyG
Veteran

Quote:
Now, not sure it's kosher for John to chime in, as he's obviously a direct competitor. Still, I respect his opinion so damn much doesn't really matter if it's necessarily unbiased or not.
Well now doesn't that start off this holiday Monday morning on the right foot

Actually, if you read my posts in this thread again, you will (hopefully) realise that I really did NOT trash FS at all...just the impression that they automatically have the lowest prices, which is really never true of any one store.

Like you, I deal with a computer distributor but often find it quicker and easier (and sometimes cheaper!) to just pop into FS, BB or even Staples to pick up the odd item. Nearly all my CDs are bought there too.
Old 2003-05-19, 07:51 PM   #21
shark

...and you'll hopefully realize I didn't think you were trashing FS...hehehe

I was just, um, hesitant about reading your post - I get kinda twitchy when you get cases of conflict-of-interest like this could be. Your comments, however, demonstrated the maturity and level headedness I've come to expect from this forum. It may not be completely legit from specific ethical claims that you are inevitably biased as the owner of a "competitor" store, but I was trying to say, in short, "bring it on..." - your ideas are more than welcome, whatever my initial hesitation. Furthermore, you've certainly never hidden your store from the board, so it's really not an issue. So, it might not be kosher, but it's damn close to being Hallal, I guess...

Who am I to make just ethical claims? Nobody, really... was just pointing out an interesting ethical quibble....

once again, you da man...

still, don't go to Staples. They're evil... (I kid, I kid...)
Old 2003-05-20, 10:18 AM   #22
MuscleCramp

That's a funny post... it's so true too in most cases.

I don't know a whole lot about tv's and stuff. (I'm more of a computer geek) I hate when the sales people start spewing out stuff and leave me standing there wondering if they are full of crap or on the level.

I was looking at a Panasonic PT-45LC12 online. It's ugly as hell, but it looks like a good tv. (then again... there are probably 50 others that are better that I don't know about) I'd like to see one in a store in action. I don't know all the stuff with aspect ratio though. I know I've seen tv's in stores that looked totally fubar. I'd fix 'em if I knew how. Maybe I'll print the post and read it line by line. :wink:
Old 2003-05-20, 12:15 PM   #23

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

MC. If you want to learn about aspect ratios. See the HT FAQ section, link below: there's a post in there on "widescreen stretch modes".

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...forum.php?f=57
Old 2003-05-20, 01:03 PM   #24
MuscleCramp

Thank you sir. I will go educate myself. 8)
Old 2003-05-22, 06:10 PM   #25
Main

Without hurting anyone's feelings, I take exception to ANY sales person anywhere who answers questions as if they are knowledgeable when they are cleary not.

Please, just simply say "I'm sorry, I don't know". I had a sales person tell me they were a DVD hardware "expert" and argue that I was wrong and I didn't need 6 audio cables to connect my RP-82 to listen to DVD-Audio discs.

I had to get them to grab a manual from an open box RP-82 and get another salesperson before I finally was given my options for 6 analog audio cables that I could buy!

I think as a consumer, we need to take the initiave and research our purchases, but it can be time consuming!
Old 2003-05-24, 01:58 PM   #26
I_Want_My_HDTV

I would take issue with the fact that I need 6 analog cables to listen to DVD-audio. This sounds like a serious defect in either the DVD player or the amplifier's digital decoder capabilities. I doubt I would buy analog cables to do this. It is an unusually high cost solution for something that could be done better by a digital cable and a digital decoder.
Old 2003-05-24, 03:45 PM   #27

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

He's talking about the DVD-A format, not the audio from a DVD.

The DD5.1 audio from a DVD comes through optical or SPDIF (coaxial) connector, but DVD-A is different - requiring the 6 analogue connectors.

There are a very select group of DVD-A players and Receivers with an "i" suffix that I believe use a firewire connector, but they are extremely rare and expensive (Pioneer Elite i)
Old 2003-05-25, 01:13 AM   #28
mguisado

Funny that this is on the topic of retailers. I was in a local chain shop today (not Futureshop), looking at a DLP television. Because I consider the set expensive ($5500.00). I want to be very sure before I buy, I also need to budget to get the set. Anyways, I'm talking to one of the sales people about doing a demo with the set, I want to see 480i via S-Video, DVD and HDTV, take the wife etc.

All is going well, we agree when a good time would be. The the sales person goes to the front desk and askes this other sales person a question. He looks at me and askes me how much I like the set? I told him I'm interested and have been looking at the set for a while now (before it was even available in their store). He asks me, and I quote "If we can setup the demo now, will you buy the set today?" Then he starts up about, how I need to jump into the market sometime, otherwise I will always end up looking. You know, the hard sell. Needless to say this has turned my off all together. Should I even bother with this store? I don't even feel like calling them back for the demo. Thoughts?
Old 2003-05-25, 01:24 AM   #29

Quote:
"If we can setup the demo now, will you buy the set today?"
This is a typical sales tactic that many stores teach their salespeople. It's intended to gauge how serious you are. If they do what they say, then you're "beholden" to buy...

I think these statements and other sales tactics are like water off a duck's back to any seasoned customer.

I would not answer the above question in the affirmative, unless you have done all your research and are just tying up a loose end or two and you know the exact price you're willing to pay.

I see no reason not to go back to the store and be honest with them. If you're not ready to buy, tell them "I'm still looking and not quite ready to purchase. Will you still do the demo." If they won't do the demo (as long as it's a reasonable demo), go elsewhere.

For my research, I usually go to a smaller store. They are typically more service oriented. If they have what I want, and can provide a final price within a few percent of what I can purchase the article for at a "big box" store, I'll purchase from the "small guy". They typically provide good after-sales service too, although they may not have the "exchange" policy of a larger store.
Old 2003-05-27, 01:23 PM   #30
Phil

When I went to purchase my Canon LV-S1 projector at FS (yes FS....they even price matched it for me and I saved almost $400), the salesman was astute enough to realize that I knew a hell of a lot more about projectors than he did, and to his credit, he actually was eager to learn as much as he could.

I ended up spending another 45 minutes educating him on key things/features that are important and why.

No when I go go to FS, I look him up.

Like most who have responded, FS is pretty good if you know what you are looking for, and on occassion you will find a decent salesperson who treats you with respect and does not try to BS you.