Insulating dishwasher to reduce noise - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Automation and Security

Old 2007-04-10, 01:39 PM   #1
Vim

Default Insulating dishwasher to reduce noise

Hello,

I noticed here a thread about insulating walls and decided to ask about insulating dishwasher.

Is here anyone that did extra insulation on dishwasher on top of what is provided by manufacturer? I would be interested to hear your experience. I already bought dishwasher that is considered to be very quite. But I found that it is not as quite as Bosh. So, is there anything that is worth doing to new dishwasher to reduce noise?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-04-10, 04:54 PM   #2
Bent
Veteran

I've seen the optional sound deadening package on certain Maytags - it's merely some cardboard glued to the flat panel surfaces to damp vibration.
Old 2007-04-10, 05:24 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Some options to try.

- Take the panel off the front door - is the inside insulated or empty? If empty, put in some insulation - don't interfere with mechanisms.

- Take the "kick" panel off and see what's behind. Is the kick panel insulated behind. Is there room to put any insulation "under" the dishwasher in certain locations - be careful not to interfere with any mechanisms.

- Is there space under the kick panel - if so, perhaps a well positioned sock will prevent noise escaping from under the panel.

You will also find that most dishwashers are quieter when full. Whenever possible, start it when you won't care about any noise and when electricity demand is down - say when you go to bed.
Old 2007-04-10, 11:06 PM   #4
benven

I have a 16 year old Maytag and it was/is noisy. However, I did add some insulation to the areas 57 listed and on the bottom, around the motor. I used some eggcrate foam I had lying around. It helped tremendously. Unfortunatley, it is still loud. Our kitchen and family room are one big open area and we still only start the dishwasher when we go out or go to bed. Now with yours being a newer unit, it is probably alot quieter than mine. But I can only speak from my experience and I don't think it would hurt to try and insulate some bare areas.
Old 2007-04-12, 04:06 PM   #5
I_Want_My_HDTV

Arrow

Quote:
used some eggcrate foam
Is that a fire hazard or what? I would use only fiberglass or other fire retardant materials.
Old 2007-04-13, 12:23 PM   #6
Vim

I got "wisper quite" Kitchenaid dishwasher. Second from the top of the line. Front door has insulation, even they give you some insulation to put on the floor. And kick pad has insulation. Still not as quite as I would like. I cannot say it is loud - it is just not quite enough.
I went to Home Depot to find any materials that would help to insulate cupboard space. I talked to 3 sales guys - all three told me never asked them this question before, and no -they do not have anything to help me.

I'll keep trying to find insulation material to insulate cupboard inside.
And yes, I'll need to put more insulation around front bottom part - there are holes around legs that sound can exit from.

Thanks everybody for help. If I'll find anything that helped me, I'll share it here.
Old 2008-03-09, 09:37 PM   #7
K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by benven View Post
I have a 16 year old Maytag and it was/is noisy. However, I did add some insulation to the areas 57 listed and on the bottom, around the motor. I used some eggcrate foam I had lying around. It helped tremendously. Unfortunatley, it is still loud. Our kitchen and family room are one big open area and we still only start the dishwasher when we go out or go to bed. Now with yours being a newer unit, it is probably alot quieter than mine. But I can only speak from my experience and I don't think it would hurt to try and insulate some bare areas.
We also have an old Maytag, 20 years. It's ridiculously loud. I'm not sure if yours is the same, but ours is one of the belt driven ones (glasses go on the bottom rack, which is opposite to the design of 99% of other dishwashers and all direct drive Maytags). Due to wear in the pump and motor, it's probably even noisier than it was when new. It's been terrifically reliable. Besides a new water valve and hack repair to the detergent cup, NOTHING has been done to it.

I tried insulating the door better, but it didn't do very much. I don't know how tightly you insulated around the motor, but be careful. Dishwasher motors already have a lot to contend with as far as heat goes, they need good circulation. Otherwise everything here sounds good. Keep in mind though, a lot of the sound improvements over the years have been better motors and pumps.

Anyhow, in the interest of modernizing our kitchen, we are replacing all our appliances. The Maytag, rusting racks aside, would probably run for another 15 years easily (and loudly). I figured we would go with another Maytag. I know they aren't anything like the belt driven ones (and I know Maytag no longer exists, besides being a Whirlpool nameplate). But it has the top sound insulation package from Maytag. Still won't be down to Bosch, Asko or Miele levels, but compared to what we have now, it will be good.
Old 2008-03-10, 12:40 PM   #8
I_Want_My_HDTV

Quote:
I don't think it would hurt to try and insulate some bare areas.
I would be very careful when insulating. Do not place insulation around the motor, any electrical components or wiring. It could cause overheating, failure or even a fire. It is extremely important that fire resistant materials like fiberglass be used. As already mentioned, the best solution is probably to replace the dishwasher, preferably with a lower noise model. It will be cheaper than a new kitchen after a fire.
Old 2008-03-10, 02:54 PM   #9
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Motor might be touching the floor?

Our 12 yr old Beaumark dishwasher was letting out a house-trembling roar that started out unnoticeable but then grew louder and louder over about a year.

I pulled it out of the cabinet and found that the entire dishwasher chassis had been settling lower and lower against the wooden cabinet frame (in total by about 1/4") so that the base of the motor was now resting on the floor itself, thus causing all that noise.

I put in some shims and put it back in, giving the motor its proper clearance from the floor, and we marvelled at how quiet it became after that.
Old 2008-03-21, 10:35 PM   #10
benven

I should clarify what I said. The foam I installed is not touching any electrical components. It is put around the motor area and on the front kick plate. It's been there for 8 years and I have not had any issues. I am not recommending that anyone do this. Just simply stating my experience.
Old 2008-03-23, 12:42 AM   #11
Dr.Zoidberg

Bosch and Miele make the quietest dishwashers, by far.
Old 2008-03-23, 03:43 PM   #12
JohnnyG
Veteran

There are products readily used in the world of car audio that work great here. Dynamat, Accumat, etc. are thin adhesive-backed sheets of vibration deadening material. You can easily cut the sheets to fit. You don't have to cover the whole side...just applying something like a 1' square sheet to the sides, top and inside the door will work wonders, especially when combined with sound-deadening insulation.

There are also spray on vibration damping products, but that might be a bit too messy for an indoor application.
Old 2008-03-24, 09:53 AM   #13
classicsat
Veteran

Don't use fibreglass, use Rockwool. They do make special varieties for sound control.