Rogers now offers outdoor modem for portable internet - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2009-04-17, 05:29 PM   #331
wii360

Im two days into my outdoor modem experiment and all is going extremely well. Im still averaging around 2mbps down and about 250kbps down. I can even use xbox live and play nhl09 which i could never do before. From what i can tell i didnt get any software from rogers just the virus protection stuff but once i put the cd in i'll know for sure then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-04-17, 06:13 PM   #332
anisite

I have a weird problem, my modem receive 4 lights signal but, I don't have internet access !! No ip is given by the transmision tower !

The tower is located at 29.7 km away from my home.

Solution?
Old 2009-04-18, 03:11 PM   #333
pmj
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wii360 View Post
Anyone know of any way of tracking usage? It would be helpful to know as im more than likely gonna go over the 30gb cap
Don't know if it works for Portable Internet - but Rogers HiSpeed (cable) usage can be monitored via https://www.rogers.com/web/myrogers/internetUsage
You have to be registered with Rogers: http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/bband/...yourusage.html
Old 2009-04-19, 06:43 PM   #334
z3tech
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj View Post
Don't know if it works for Portable Internet - but Rogers HiSpeed (cable) usage can be monitored via https://www.rogers.com/web/myrogers/internetUsage
You have to be registered with Rogers: http://www.hispeed.rogers.com/bband/...yourusage.html
No you cannot monitor your portable internet usage on the Rogers site, but there is a good tool that will do this for you. It's NetMeter which you can get at
"http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml"
Old 2009-04-19, 08:06 PM   #335
sugarfly
Rookie

Red face Indoor modem outside

Well, I went out a bought a Portable modem(indoor) to try where we live. We are probably 6km from the tower directly. Also, my parents live next door, and we wanted to figure out a way to share the internet.
The only signal we could get was from the top of their driveway(they live on one side of the hill, we live on the other, with the tower on their side)
After finding out that we had a signal(1, 2 and sometimes 3 bars, depending on where it was placed...very touchy) I went out a purchased a belkin wireless d mimo router.
This morning we erected a tv tower in between our houses at the top of the hill, and created a plexiglass housing for both the modem and router. We also put in ventilation holes, and at the bottom an opening with rubber slits to place the power cord in to plug everything in.
So up the tower it is, with extension cords running across our property.
Now, the only problem is, that we can get a signal from both houses, but very low signals.
The modem has only one bar, sometimes 2. When I first tried a couple of nights ago, I had sometimes 3 bars and 1.8mbps down, now I am lucky to get 0.5mbps down.(with one bar, sometimes 2)
Do you think it would improve with an outdoor modem?(was thinking it had the same antenna, just a weather proofed case)
Or any ideas on how to get another bar or two?

Last edited by sugarfly; 2009-04-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2009-04-19, 08:15 PM   #336
Pinza
Veteran

The External Modem is $249, if you do not activate it you can always send it back and get a full refund. I would say get one and try it.
Old 2009-04-20, 01:59 AM   #337
wii360

Suagrfly i would get the outdoor modem as you will more than likely get a much better signal. I had similar problems when i tried the indoor modem. I would get 1 or 2 or 3 bars even though there is tower less than 8km away. Now, with the outdoor modem, i have five bars and am averaging more than 2.5mbps down and 250kbps down. I have even hit 3.9mbps down. I just hope it continues to work as well as it has so i can cancel my satellite by the end of next week. (need to give 30 days) I've tried the netmeter and it only allows me to track the computer its installed on. I need something that can track my entire wireless network (pc, 2 laptops, ps3, 360, wii, iphones and everyone who uses it when they come over). Havent found nothing yet. Anyone that knows of something can do this please let me know.
Old 2009-04-21, 08:46 PM   #338
gexgeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfly View Post
Well, I went out a bought a Portable modem(indoor) to try where we live. We are probably 6km from the tower directly. Also, my parents live next door, and we wanted to figure out a way to share the internet.
The only signal we could get was from the top of their driveway(they live on one side of the hill, we live on the other, with the tower on their side)
After finding out that we had a signal(1, 2 and sometimes 3 bars, depending on where it was placed...very touchy) I went out a purchased a belkin wireless d mimo router.
This morning we erected a tv tower in between our houses at the top of the hill, and created a plexiglass housing for both the modem and router. We also put in ventilation holes, and at the bottom an opening with rubber slits to place the power cord in to plug everything in.
So up the tower it is, with extension cords running across our property.
Now, the only problem is, that we can get a signal from both houses, but very low signals.
The modem has only one bar, sometimes 2. When I first tried a couple of nights ago, I had sometimes 3 bars and 1.8mbps down, now I am lucky to get 0.5mbps down.(with one bar, sometimes 2)
Do you think it would improve with an outdoor modem?(was thinking it had the same antenna, just a weather proofed case)
Or any ideas on how to get another bar or two?
Just for insight,,,,,,, go here http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=61999&page=19 and follow my posts starting from post #280..it should help.

Hack that sucker and add a external antenna ......
Your first mistake was a belkin router. No Offence......should have got a linksys wrt54gl.......flashed it with Tomato firmware which would increase the output from 42 milliwats up to 250 and adding a 9Dbi dipole to the router which both you and you're parents could access/

I'm kinda a WiFi nut... My network consists of 3 routers two of which are 800 feet apart talking to eachother in WDS mode supplying a good friend with internet.

It's really easy to hack these modems and remove the internel antenna adding a N Male to RP SMA Male 195 Cable, 1 feet (0.304 meter)
the shorter the cable the less signal loss. attach it to a 2.4GHz Grid or Panel directional Antenna and you're all set.

I'll post a picture in my album showing the WiFi Access Point @ my place.

What model and version of Belkin did you purchase...

Last edited by gexgeko; 2009-04-21 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Maybe you can put DDwrt Firmware on that Router..
Old 2009-04-21, 09:02 PM   #339
gexgeko

Wii360 Quote
Suagrfly i would get the outdoor modem as you will more than likely get a much better signal. I had similar problems when i tried the indoor modem. I would get 1 or 2 or 3 bars even though there is tower less than 8km away. Now, with the outdoor modem, i have five bars and am averaging more than 2.5mbps down and 250kbps down. I have even hit 3.9mbps down. I just hope it continues to work as well as it has so i can cancel my satellite by the end of next week. (need to give 30 days) I've tried the netmeter and it only allows me to track the computer its installed on. I need something that can track my entire wireless network (pc, 2 laptops, ps3, 360, wii, iphones and everyone who uses it when they come over). Havent found nothing yet. Anyone that knows of something can do this please let me know.

What Router do you have?
Make and model.

I kinda Screwed that up Didn't I.....lol

Last edited by gexgeko; 2009-04-21 at 09:25 PM.
Old 2009-04-22, 04:44 AM   #340
wii360

I just bought a linksys WRT54G2-CA router to replace my old trendnet.
Old 2009-04-22, 07:21 PM   #341
gexgeko

I wish Not to get to far off topic here but anyone who is Computer Savy and would like to extend the capabilities of there Router depending on the Make and Model/Version consider flashing the firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT Google it and do you're Research before considering this as it can make a usable Router NON usable if not done correctly but has allot of benefits to many to mention here look for yourself.

I take no resposability for anything a user does or doesn't do. And will answer no questions regarding.
Do the homework and see if it's a viable solution or consideration.

It works for me.
Old 2009-04-27, 09:58 PM   #342
genx

Default Outdoor Modem and High gain antenna setup

Just to let everyone know I signed up with satelitte internet so I am selling my Rogers outdoor modem and High gain antenna. Time for spring cleanup!

http://ottawa.**********/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ123841824
Old 2009-05-18, 10:56 PM   #343
gexgeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by genx View Post
Just to let everyone know I signed up with satelitte internet so I am selling my Rogers outdoor modem and High gain antenna. Time for spring cleanup!

http://ottawa.**********/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ123841824
just wondering what company you went with 4 satellite? hughesnet or Xplornet?
and whats you're service like? pings download ect?

Oh and do you still have that modem?
Old 2009-05-22, 05:02 PM   #344
genx

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I dont come by here much anymore since I am no longer with rogers but this is a great forum. The hack that I did I thought was fun also.

I am now with Explornet and subsribed to contract as I had too. 512 kbps down and it tests as they claim. the ping is about 900 ms on average. The worst thing for me is that VPN does not work. They force the use of NAT on Hughesnet modem. I would expect this to be an issue for gamers also. Unfortunately I did not find this out until 30 day grace period was over.

For the modem I still have it in my basement but I expect it to be gone this weekend.
Old 2009-05-22, 05:25 PM   #345
gexgeko

I'm just curious,
Did you check into Bell Canada's 3G network? I know rogers in Luskville, QC is marginal but Bell says full coverage and signal strength in Luskville, QC.

Quote from Bell page "In Quebec, our 3G network is now available to 84.8% of the population."

I had HughsNet for close to 4 yrs. I know what you're talking about but from what i remeber VPN will work ....just slow as Mole@sses.
I used to turn off there proxy to be able to host worms armageddon games.

Tags
hsi, rogers, wimax