Rogers now offers outdoor modem for portable internet - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2008-10-30, 02:54 PM   #256
stevey_frac

You guys may remember me from earlier in the thread. I put up my own dish on a pole bolted to my shed. It worked well all sumer, but as temperatures turned colder, my connection has once again began to decrease in stability. Unfortunatly, there are no real alternatives for the time being, the ovation modem is simply to expensive bandwidth wise.
stevey_frac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-10-30, 05:20 PM   #257
Ham.Clan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcengbeam View Post
I am located just outside (SW) of Glencoe, Ont. near London.... I believe the new tower is just north of Glencoe. Does anyone know where it is?
mcengbeam, check out this site to find cell tower locations.
The map shows a Rogers tower south of Glencoe off Centreville drive.
Maybe you're just pointing it in the wrong direction.
I wouldn't keep the modem if you can't get a signal strength of at least 3 lights.

Last edited by Ham.Clan; 2008-10-30 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Ham.Clan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-10, 01:04 PM   #258
waynem
Rookie

Ok... quick update.

Started out with Bell's Portable Internet (yeah I know this is a Rogers thread but its more active than the Bell one) .. worked great until the leaves started to fall. Slowly went from 4/5 bars to 1/5 bars with hideous packet loss and high latency.

Called Bell to complain and eventually convinced them to switch me over to the "In-home" version (they REALLY don't want to have to send a tech out). After a semi-disastrous activation (Bell's authorization/activation servers were having problems all weekend). I'm up and running again. The radio is about 30' up on and I'm getting a really solid 5/5 signal and back to reasonable latency and no lost packets.

And.. if it drops again, its much easier to hack the external modem with a bigger antenna than it is the internal one !
waynem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-10, 01:15 PM   #259
jayoldschool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynem View Post
Ok... quick update.

Started out with Bell's Portable Internet (yeah I know this is a Rogers thread but its more active than the Bell one) .. worked great until the leaves started to fall. Slowly went from 4/5 bars to 1/5 bars with hideous packet loss and high latency.

Called Bell to complain and eventually convinced them to switch me over to the "In-home" version (they REALLY don't want to have to send a tech out). After a semi-disastrous activation (Bell's authorization/activation servers were having problems all weekend). I'm up and running again. The radio is about 30' up on and I'm getting a really solid 5/5 signal and back to reasonable latency and no lost packets.

And.. if it drops again, its much easier to hack the external modem with a bigger antenna than it is the internal one !
What's your latency? Check it at speedtest.net and post the link up for us. Mine is usually in the 250-300ms range...
jayoldschool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-12, 12:39 AM   #260
waynem
Rookie

Sure ...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/35476782.png

186ms seems high ... if I ping a random website (this one for example) .. my results are in the 30-50ms range. But, can't complain about 2.8Mbps down. 250kbps up isn't anything to jump for joy over but its not a huge issue for me. I was debugging some issues earlier and was down around 1.8Mbps down.

I'm less than 4kkm from the tower in Metcalfe and, based on the maps, it looks like I'm catching the north edge of the west facing antenna.

Interesting bit of triva. I was speaking with a second-level tech today and he told me that the tower has 61 subscribers both Bell and Rogers and that is considered "over subscribed" so my performance in the early evening may suffer... an issue I was definitely seeing with the portable unit.
waynem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-13, 01:03 PM   #261
alcr
Rookie

Has anyone encountered a similar problem to this:

I signed up for Rogers Nov 1, installed the outdoor modem on a tv tower (3/5 leds), and ping times were good 100 ms. The 2nd day the connection was even better (50-70ms), but it was very windy the first day. I switched back to my regular ISP a couple of days later. Yesterday, I decided to relocate the modem about 4M higher on the tower where the signal is a solid 4/5. Ping times were slower (300ms) and there is packet loss. Download speeds are down to 1/4 of the original speed. Called tech support and the agent reset my network connection. Anyone here know what they mean by reset? She had me power off the modem and pc before she did the reset.

With the signal 4/5, I would expect as good or better ping times than the first 2 days with signal 3/5. Speedtest.net shows download around 90kps, upload 150kbps. I'm subscribed to a basic package (512kbsp/256kbsp) with the intent of upgrading once this service proves itself or when I get kicked off the Storm network. The first 2 days, speedtest was showing over 500kbps down and 250 kbps up. There are no other towers in the direction the modem is pointing. I moved the modem back to the original location with no improvement.

-Al
alcr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-13, 08:03 PM   #262
jayoldschool
Veteran

Here's my latest. Done at 7:00pm, so it is pretty much peak time. 5 lights, 9.8 km from the tower.

jayoldschool is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-14, 12:32 AM   #263
andrew867
Rookie

I found some pictures of inside the indoor Motorola modem in case anyone was wondering what was inside,
http://www.omghax.ca/photos.php?level=album&id=7
andrew867 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-26, 11:04 PM   #264
raidersfan
Rookie

are there specific towers for which ones are cell phone and which ones are wimax? and does rogers offer wimax home? like a non unplugged one cause i cant see it on there website. thanks
raidersfan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-27, 12:19 PM   #265
floyd2
Rookie

Just to let people know if you signed up on the 1.5mb plan, they now have a 2mb plan that if you do not call them to convert it they will not do it automatically.
floyd2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-28, 08:47 AM   #266
rob1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham.Clan View Post
mcengbeam, check out this site to find cell tower locations.
The map shows a Rogers tower south of Glencoe off Centreville drive.
Maybe you're just pointing it in the wrong direction.
I wouldn't keep the modem if you can't get a signal strength of at least 3 lights.
Just an FYI - just becuase there is a cell tower next to your house does not mean you have WIMAX coverage....as in my case.

I have a Rogers and Bell tower within 10Km of me - no Wimax support. I am currently using Bell's EVDO internet card. It works well but @ $97 a month for unlimited (Corporate plan) it is expensive.

The golf course within viewing distance from the end of my driveway has ADSL....but my phone line terminates at another CO....so I'm out of luck with that as well.

Love living in the country....hate the lack of services!

Cheers
rob1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-18, 02:37 PM   #267
spider_mun
Rookie

Default Bell Wimaxx/Rogers

I live rural just off HWY43, between Merrickville and Kemptville, according to the link posted showing Bell and Rogers towers, I should be able to pick up the Wimax offered, from my house LOS (line of sight)to the Merrickville tower is 5.48km, with no obstructions,other then normal tree height. To the tower in Kemptville it is 13km, with no elevation obstructions, based on 15m off ground at house and 48m height towers. I called Bell, and got nowhere, actually had to hang up on person, for his knowledge was useless. Looking for anyone near this area who may have this wiorking?
spider_mun is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-18, 02:48 PM   #268
Pinza
Veteran

I did the exact same thing when I was looking for the Bell WiMax service. Then I called Rogers, they explained that I was NOT in their service area but I said i wanted to risk it anyway.

I paid my $250, they shipped an Outdoor Modem, I jumped for joy when straight out of the box, just walking on the front lawn I got a good signal. The first thing I did then was locate the Modem as high as I could on a TV tower. That turned out to not be required, it now lives at about 9' abouve the ground and I get 4 or 5 lights all the time.

Advantage with Rogers is that if you cannot get signal, you ship back the Modem, they refund the $250. Perfect.
Pinza is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-20, 08:51 PM   #269
GTC

Default Where is my closest Portable Internet Tower

I got my outdoor modem today and tried to find a signal. I could, without much problem, get 3 flashing lights pointing at a Rogers tower directly west of me. At no time did they turn solid, even after plugging it into the computer. I have not yet activated my account, so I don't know if that step is necessary to actually receive the Rogers sign up page. I called tech support (I may have woken him up) and he told me the only tower in my area was due east of me (on the other side of a mountain) and that unless my 3 lights were solid, I had nothing. So my question is (finally) which towers are in my area that will work. I live on Salt Spring Island, in BC, between Victoria and Vancouver. I live about 500 meters ASL and am line of site to much of Vancouver and Victoria. The tech support guy said the only tower was in North Cowichan, BC, but I found it hard to believe that is the only tower for all Victoria and Vancouver!
GTC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-12-21, 09:37 AM   #270
Pinza
Veteran

From my memory, the lights flash, all together, until you activate the unit.

Have a read through the Manual, I am pretty sure it tells you in there.

I hit signal in at least 5 different directions and get good connections even with 2 lights. I recently dropped my Modem to about 8 feet above ground and in this location get 5 lights most of the time.
Pinza is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
hsi, rogers, wimax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.