Disposable Cell Phones in Canada? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-04-03, 02:17 AM   #1
PeteX

Default Disposable Cell Phones in Canada?

Are these available here like in the USA? i.e. a basic phone that will make and and recieve calls for about $30 that you can run with prepaid cards and no contract. Appreciate any sources.

Thanks
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-04-03, 11:50 PM   #2
Walter Dnes

http://virginmobile.ca Select the Nokia 2125i for $59. There are several plans available (no contract required). See http://virginmobile.ca/site/en/price...dFeatures.html You can use pre-paid cards or top up via your credit card.

I use the barebones basic plan. I only use the phone occasionally, and keep it around for emergencies. The unused balance carries over if you top up before your current payment expires. I make long distance calls on the mobile. The umpteen cents per minute for long distance may look horrendous, but it's only burning off my "virtual balance", which I can't redeem in any other way. This actually costs me nothing, whereas even a discounted long-distance call via my landline costs (a little bit of) real money.

Your profile doesn't say where you live, but another option for you may be PC Mobile http://www.superstore.ca/ontario/aspx/pcMobile.aspx
Old 2007-04-04, 01:53 AM   #3
PeteX

Thanks Walter: I will check out both options because superstore is here in BC but I don't know if they have a PC mobile option here.
Old 2007-04-05, 11:05 PM   #4
Paolo
Veteran

Wink

If you want a disposible phone, look for a Siemens Phone. They are pretty much use them and chuck them cus they cost more to fix than to replace..
Old 2007-04-07, 08:19 AM   #5
outinthornhill

While a disposable phone is anathema to the ecologically minded (batteries and a lot of components constitute hazardous waste) some of the pay-as-you-go offerings are close. I would like to think Canada has restrictions on the marketing of such needless products but doubt it.

My guess is that the American market for disposable phones is travelers from almost anywhere in the world who need a CDMA phone while in the USA where the standard predominates as it does in Canada. Outside of North American, users can buy SIM cards locally to access wireless networks at local prices (or roam on their home provider account) and use their existing phone and these cards are cheap and disposable. I am sure some come loaded with air-time for travelers needing short-term access.

A recent Globe and Mail report, that I have not seen mentioned in the forum, described how Rogers will "clean up" at the Vancouver Olympics because its GSM network will be accessible to all the GSM phone carrying international visitors. They will either roam on Rogers network or Rogers will be smart enough to offer pay-as-you-go SIM cards (introductory cards would probably be in the athletes' welcome bags if Bell were not an Olympic sponsor).

Where the Globe's speculation could be wrong is if Telus or Bell accepts the reality of GSM's world dominance and begins to convert. I believe one US company - unsure of which one - is already offering both GSM and CDMA as a prelude to switching over. I will not be at all surprised if Telus and Bell roll out at least a "pilot test" offering dual GSM and CDMA service in the Vancouver/Whistler corridor before the 2010 Games.

With GSM the need for disposable phones almost vanishes while users still have access to local networks at local rates.
Old 2007-04-07, 04:51 PM   #6
Paolo
Veteran

Woo Hoo way to go Rogers!! Add +1 to reasons why GSM is a great technology.
Old 2007-04-08, 05:02 PM   #7
rjreisch

$60.00 plus airtime for prepaid! Ouch! I'm used to paying $20-$30 per phone and that usually includes at least 60 minutes (or more) of free airtime. Hopefully an inexpensive prepaid cellphone carrier will come to Canada soon.
Old 2007-04-10, 07:47 AM   #8
outinthornhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreisch View Post
$60.00 plus airtime for prepaid! Ouch! I'm used to paying $20-$30 per phone and that usually includes at least 60 minutes (or more) of free airtime. Hopefully an inexpensive prepaid cellphone carrier will come to Canada soon.
If you are comparing mobile costs in Canada and the USA, there is, well, no comparison. Blame it on the lack of competition, population, concentration or whatever, I do not expect to see mobile costs in Canada at USA levels, even if another provider is licenced in the next year or so. Some things are cheaper here and others are more expensive. We'd all like the best of both countries every time but it '"ain't gonna happen".
Old 2007-05-19, 07:00 PM   #9
superbry

7-11 Speakout has a deal on now. Buy $100 in pre-paid airtime and receive a phone for free. The airtime has a 365 day expiry date and will carry forward if you top-up before your expiry date. They also use the Rogers network. 20 cents a minute for airtime, 30 cent a minute for long distance includes local airtime, 5 cents per text, voice mail, caller id, and 3 way calling all included. No SAF, but 99 cents per month for 911 service.

I just picked up one for my teenager. Easy set up, just turn it on and it is ready to go. It already includes a number on the phone.