XM NavTraffic comes to Canada - NOT Really - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > SiriusXM Satellite Radio

Old 2007-03-28, 02:21 PM   #1
Kieran

Default XM NavTraffic comes to Canada - NOT Really

Starting, Saturday, March 31, XM's NavTraffic will start service in Canada. Cities served will be Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Last edited by hugh; 2007-03-28 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Just cut and pasted details to make it easier
Kieran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-03-29, 02:14 PM   #2
Kieran

Default more details

XM NavTraffic Subscribers Now Able to Access Data for Six New Markets, Including Three Canadian Cities

WASHINGTON, March 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM, the nation's leading satellite radio service with more than 7.6 million subscribers, today announced that its real-time XM NavTraffic satellite information service for GPS navigation will add six new markets, allowing XM NavTraffic subscribers in the U.S. to access the real-time traffic data service in 50 major North American markets, beginning March 31. For the first time, XM NavTraffic subscribers in the U.S. will also be able to view real-time traffic data in three Canadian cities.

The six new XM NavTraffic markets include: Fresno, CA; Jacksonville, FL; Montreal, QB; Salt Lake City, UT; Toronto, ON; and Vancouver, BC. In addition, Portland, OR now has expanded coverage with traffic flow data available allowing drivers to see how fast the traffic is moving.

XM NavTraffic feeds data on incidents, such as accidents and road construction, directly to a vehicle's GPS navigation system via XM's satellite pipeline. The driver is alerted to these blockages through the navigation screen, allowing him or her to route around a jam before getting caught in traffic. Where available, XM NavTraffic also provides information that allows users to view an overlay of color-coded traffic flow information, indicating the average speed of travel along the driver's planned route. The traffic data is aggregated by NAVTEQ Traffic from data sources that include police and emergency services, commercial traffic data providers, road sensors, traffic cameras, eyewitness reports, and real-time aircraft surveillance reports.

NavTraffic is available as a factory-installed feature on new models from Acura (MDX, RDX, RL, TL), Cadillac (CTS), Infiniti (G35 Sedan), Lexus (LS 460 L, LS 460, LS 600h L), and Nissan (Altima), as well as through a number of aftermarket and handheld units from Alpine, Garmin, Kenwood and Pioneer Electronics. Selected as the 2005 "Best Consumer Vehicle Application" by Telematics Update, the leading telematics industry organization, XM NavTraffic is expected to be available in 200,000 vehicles by the end of 2008.

"Consumers demand new methods for saving both time and money in their daily lives, particularly on their commute with gas prices once again on the rise," said Roderick MacKenzie, XM's VP of Advanced Applications and Services. "XM NavTraffic's real-time traffic technology is a powerful and valuable tool, allowing commuters to reach their destinations quicker, spend less time sitting in traffic, and ultimately save money at the pump."

In addition to the six new markets available March 31, XM NavTraffic is currently available in the following 44 metro areas: Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Baltimore, MD; Boston, MA; Buffalo - Niagara Falls, NY; Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX; Denver - Boulder, CO; Detroit, MI; Hartford - New Britain - Middletown, CT; Houston - Galveston, TX; Indianapolis, IN; Kansas City, KS; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; Memphis, TN; Miami - Ft. Lauderdale - Hollywood, FL; Milwaukee - Racine, WI; Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN; Nashville, TN; New York, NY; Norfolk - Virginia Beach - Newport News, VA; Orlando, FL; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Pittsburgh, PA; Portland, OR; Providence - Warwick - Pawtucket, RI; Sacramento, CA; Sarasota - Bradenton, FL; San Antonio, TX; San Diego, CA; San Francisco - Oakland, CA; San Jose, CA; Seattle - Tacoma, WA; St. Louis, MO; Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater, FL; Washington, DC; West Palm Beach - Boca Raton, FL; and Wilmington, DE.
Kieran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-30, 01:01 PM   #3
hugh
Member #1

I spoke to the PR firm for XM Canada.

This is only available through XM USA so essentially it will only be available to grey market satellite subscribers!
Old 2007-03-31, 03:42 AM   #4
funkright

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I spoke to the PR firm for XM Canada.

This is only available through XM USA so essentially it will only be available to grey market satellite subscribers!
You might want to add the word 'currently' only available to US subscribers..
funkright is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-04-02, 03:15 PM   #5
Raven_

Has anyone seen Navtraffic working in Montreal yet?

I have U.S. subscription with an AVIC-N2 and the GEX-P10XMT NavTraffic module and nothing is showing up on my screen. I also subscribed to NavTraffic last week.

Help

Thanks
Sly
Raven_ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-04-02, 10:11 PM   #6
Cable Guy

Default Nothing in Toronto yet either

Not in Toronto either. I use my NavTraffic when I drive to Florida and am looking forward to using in my home turf. Alas, nothing as of April 2nd...
Cable Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-04-03, 09:31 AM   #7
Raven_

Hi Cable Guy,

Thanks for the info! I guess I am somewhat happy to see I'm not the only one. I thought it was my gear....BUT obviously not happy as to why its not up yet...why? it said on the release as of March 31st...whats going on? has anybody called or emailed them? I think I will
Old 2007-04-03, 10:08 AM   #8
hugh
Member #1

Everyone knows that this is XM USA only and you have to pay extra for it right?
Old 2007-04-03, 10:20 AM   #9
Raven_

Hi hugh,

of course, I have a US subscription and I called XM to add NavTraffic to my account..its $3.99 more per month
Old 2007-04-03, 04:31 PM   #10
Raven_

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc

The 3 canadian cities are listed with maps of coverage...how come it doesn't work yet????????? bizarre

I did notice that the 3 canadian cities don't have flow traffic shown

Many of the bigger US cities have flow traffic..maybe that's why we are not seeing anything? it seems we only have incident info which means like an accident or other problem on the road only??????? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Raven_; 2007-04-03 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2007-04-05, 10:48 AM   #11
Raven_

Still no news on service?
Old 2007-04-05, 05:06 PM   #12
hugh
Member #1

Deleted some posts here.

This site has members from all over North America and we welcome posts about XM Canada and XM USA service.

FYI: for those that continue to ask. XM equipment bought anywhere can be activated XM USA or XM Canada.
Old 2007-04-11, 08:04 PM   #13
LeonPhelps

Did you guys try a radio signal refresh ????
LeonPhelps is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-04-12, 12:53 PM   #14
Raven_

I tried a signal refresh twice and even called back XM to ensure Navtraffic was enabled on my account.

I have yet to see anything on my Navtraffic-enabled AVIC-N2
Old 2007-04-17, 11:27 AM   #15
Cable Guy

Anybody getting service in Toronto yet ? I'm not.
Cable Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.