Shaw Wireless Router Issues! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2007-03-23, 08:22 PM   #1
Cyberaga

Default Shaw Wireless Router Issues!

Hey, just wondering if im the only one that is having issues with shaw. My older router a US Robotics would always crap out had to reboot the damn thing every 30 min to get my net back . (wireless and Wired) I thought it was a Router issue to i picked up a new one, a D-linkWBR-2310. Sadly the same issues is happening. my net keeps logging off for a brief second. This time though i dont need to rest the router! This makes it hard to play games Online since it keeps loseing connection. Any suggestions on how i can fix this. or if its a shaw thing? any help would be great! thanks.
Cyberaga is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-03-23, 08:37 PM   #2
DSgamby
Veteran

I have the same router

Did you log into the router online? I believe the site address is 192.168.0.1 and set the router up including the date and time. I had to reset every morning before I fixed the date and time and it works now.
DSgamby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-23, 09:29 PM   #3
petedran

I have a DLink and have had nothing but troubles with shaw
petedran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-24, 12:56 AM   #4
Cyberaga

DSgamby. thanks for the tip but sadly that is setup right. it still is acting up. any other sugestions.
Old 2007-03-24, 01:18 AM   #5
ihdtv

It would seem that since you're having almost the same problem with the new D-Link router that your real problem lies somewhere else. You state that the connection is still being dropped with the D-Link as with the USR router so I'd start looking at a faulty Shaw modem perhaps or failing cabling. I've also seen dirty power cause problems with modems and routers.

Have you tested your connection without the router in play? Direct connect to your pc from the modem?

Maybe call Shaw and get them to check your connection from their end.

ihtv
ihdtv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-24, 02:35 AM   #6
Cyberaga

thanks Ihdtv. i tried a direct connection the other day and it was working fine. i should have thought to put that out on my first post. my bad. i just find it weird that its doing it to two wireless routers. i might have to give shaw a call and see whats up.
Old 2007-03-24, 09:38 AM   #7
otown47
Veteran

Having just bought new cordless phones for my house, I suggest looking out for 2.4 GHz phones, apparently they can interfere with your wireless router.
otown47 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-24, 02:16 PM   #8
Cyberaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47 View Post
Having just bought new cordless phones for my house, I suggest looking out for 2.4 GHz phones, apparently they can interfere with your wireless router.
Thanks for the tip. all the phones I use are 5.8GHz
Old 2007-03-24, 04:08 PM   #9
dennism3

Your neighbour's phones may not be 5.8. My neighbour's weren't and then he moved! and that's 2 exterior walls and 60 feet.
dennism3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-25, 02:22 AM   #10
Cyberaga

Yeah, but I just think that phones causing this is weird cause i havent had this issue for 2 years. mind you, you never know.
Old 2007-03-25, 05:11 AM   #11
ihdtv

In your first post however you said that you were having the same problem while wired too so it's not likely the phones. 2.4 GHz phones can cause problems though and some models have a big range. I just replaced a 2.4 recently and I could walk part way down my block with it and still get a signal. Easily 60ft as dennism3 said. You can still buy 2.4 GHz phones brand new as well so one of your neighbors may have just upgraded from their old 900 Mhz phone .. who knows.

ihdtv
Old 2007-03-26, 12:43 AM   #12
Cyberaga

Yes i realize this but i still don't see how this affects my connection when I'm wired into the router itself! . the seccond the wireless losses connection the wired looses connection. thats why i don't believe its a phone issue. I only use the wireless for the PS3 and Wii! If it was a phone issue then i think everyone with wireless would be getting annoyed with it as i am right about now. the only thing that keeps the connection solid is if i'm wired directly into the modem itself. damn those 2.4Ghz phones !!!
Old 2007-03-26, 04:05 AM   #13
ihdtv

Well all I can say is maybe try a Linksys router. I've had pretty good luck with those and on the other hand have had some problems setting up DLink routers for a couple of people. Dropped connections like you're experiencing. That's just my experience with them so you can take that for what it's worth.

You could also try setting the router to a different channel. I've seen that fix a few problems too.

If it appears that the wireless side of the router is taking down the wired as well then maybe it's worth it to try a different brand. Sorry that's about all I can suggest at this point.

ihdtv
Old 2007-03-26, 04:10 AM   #14
Cyberaga

thanks for your help. i changed to a new channel earlier today and seems to be working for now. but i will see when its daytime and more things are active to interfere with it.
Old 2007-03-29, 04:14 AM   #15
Cyberaga

Exclamation

Well i Fixed the issue! should have called D-link before all this but then whats the fun in Forums!! If you are having this same issue with shaw try these settings or if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself look up D-links support line and give them a call. they will help you out. Nice and friendly. Oh and fast :P

here are the settings for the D-Link WBR-2310
Beacon interval : 80 (Found under Advanced Wireless)
RTS Threshold : 2100 (Found under Advanced Wireless)
Fragmentation :2100 (Found under Advanced Wireless)
DTIM interval :4 (Found under Advanced Wireless)
Preamble Type : Long Preamble (Found under Advanced Wireless)
CTS Mode :Auto (Found under Advanced Wireless)
WMM Function: Disable (Found under Advanced Wireless)
Enable Multicast Streams (Found under Advanced Wireless)
WAN port speed: 100mbs (Found under Advanced Network)
UPNP: DISABLE (Found under Advanced Network)
MTU: 1472 (found under manual configure)

Last edited by Cyberaga; 2007-03-29 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Locations of the settings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.