Firmware V149 for 9200 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-16, 10:26 PM   #136
QualityIsJobOne

Smile

....Can you disable the "live buffer" with the 9200?

....I did this immediately with our StarChoice DSR530 with good results....no fan noise too.
Advertisement

Old 2007-03-16, 10:57 PM   #137
brightonrock

When I pause live TV then resume I have the stuttering every 20-30 seconds. I called BEV and they said that this is not an issue with this receiver. I explained I had the same problem last year when it took two months to fix the problem and now it's back only when I pause live TV. If you have the same problem, please call and complain because they rep said they don't make an issue of it until people complain. They offered to replace my receiver for $150.00 because I'm one month out of warranty...nice eh?

BR
brightonrock is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-17, 02:53 PM   #138
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Unhappy

I've got the stuttering as well now. I have one of the original units with the old model drives and have never seen the stuttering before. Watching 24 recorded from FOXHE was terrible. Hard to watch even.

Man, this totally sucks. Can DrewSat or someone on the inside comment on whether Bell has at least acknowledged the problem?

If it's on their fix list then it's not that bad. But I can't be bothered to wait on hold for an hour to talk to a moron who will claim that I'm the first person ever to report the problem and who will then instruct me to check my signal strength, unplug the cables, remove the smart cart, etc, etc.
North_of_Calgary is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-17, 03:09 PM   #139
Tom.F.1
Veteran

I tried recording 2 HD and watching playback another again. Bad Stutter.

It was a problem last week. Now I know it doesn't ever work. It used to work. Maybe they've used up all the memory with software? Wild guess.
my other problem is interactive, i'll look for that thread.
Old 2007-03-17, 03:40 PM   #140
brightonrock

As of last night 10:00pm it was not on their fix list when I called about the problem.

BR
brightonrock is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-17, 07:05 PM   #141
skypilot

Quote:
As of last night 10:00pm it was not on their fix list when I called about the problem.
Well that is completely incongruous with what two level three tech persons (to whom I spoke in Jan. and Feb.) said to me when I called about the stuttering difficulty. In fact, with one tech, as soon as I mentioned 'video stuttering/jerky image playback,' he ran through many measurement indicators of this PITA problem and said they were both aware of and working on it.

Whom do you believe?!
skypilot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-17, 09:56 PM   #142
rpawson

I've had two 9200 receivers crap out on me since this firmware update. My original renter receiver kicked the bucket earlier this month(see thread here. This was presented to me by Tech 3 as a hardware/software conflict where the new software which was supposed to address some HDMI issues was conflicting with the hardware in the receiver. This receiver would give me the Boot Recovery screen only occasionally, and eventually stopped rebooting or receiving signals altogether.

The replacement 9200 arrived on March 8, and I activated and installed it on March 10. It worked fine until 10:00 PM Calgary time last night, when it went through a simialr reboot issue. After I unplugged for about 6 hours today and plugged it back in tonight, I was able to access some diagnostic screens and run a check switch, and everything appeared to be in order. I had called tech support anyway to determine what was causing the problem. And while on the phone with them, the thing reset itself again and is now stuck in a continuous reset loop.

Another replacement receiver is supposed to arrive this week.

Last edited by rpawson; 2007-03-17 at 10:04 PM.
rpawson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-18, 01:53 AM   #143
radiologist46

Exclamation Bell acknowledges the freezeing problem

I talked to a TSR this evening about the video and audio freezes. He went up to talk to a Tech 3, he acknowledged that they are having this problem and could not fix it tonight. I was told they would get back to me next week on what they will be doing to fix the problem. He also said there has been many calls on he situation, so please everybody still call in to log the problem.

I also received a credit for the hassles with the PVR
radiologist46 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-18, 09:01 AM   #144
Oorakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
My auto standby works perfect. I keep falling aslep in my easy chair and wake up to the blue standby screensaver.
Ah, but does your power light go out and the fan stop?
Oorakus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-18, 01:32 PM   #145
Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo
I don't know if there's any relationship but when you experience stuttering on a recorded show, was that show being recorded while you were watching another show?
Since V149 was loaded (March 6/07) I see stutter on playback of 90% of any HD recording, regardless of what else the machine was doing at time of recording and regardless of whether the show was taped pre/post V149. I've tried many different combinations of pausing/viewing/recording simultaneously and separately and it seems to make no difference, although the worst stuttering I saw was while watching a "paused" show 15 mins. behind live TV while it was recording. I've also tried taping West coast feeds but they stutter too.

This playback freezing problem renders many HD shows unwatchable simply for the frustration caused by random, frequent chunks of the show being clipped off. Having seen enough people chime in here with the same problem, and now having someone acknowledge that BEV says they're aware of it, leaves me to accept that this problem will not go away until there is another firmware update. Until then, I'll record in SD.

Another bug introduced with V149, that IMO is nearly as bad as the stutter, is the auto-skip to Live TV while watching a "paused" show. These 2 bugs make V149 an inexcusable failure no matter what fixes were actually made. I can only hope there is a firmware update coming soon to fix these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltldevl
I said this before and I will say it again, the QA on the firmware releases seems rather poor. Not enough regression testing...
100% agree (although I would omit "t enough")
Huff is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-18, 04:02 PM   #146
Falcon

I noticed The Weather Network interactive 505 now works on the 9200.
Old 2007-03-18, 04:53 PM   #147
GusX

Angry

Argh!!!

I was watching the Toronto-Montreal game last night while have it delayed for around 30 min ... all of a sudden, the PVR decides to go to Live TV !!!
GusX is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-18, 05:24 PM   #148
Battscrew

I think that is the max when you hit pause while watching live tv
Old 2007-03-18, 05:42 PM   #149
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Gee, with all of these new problems seemingly effecting everyone you really got to wonder about their QA process and testing prior to release. Like seriously, how could they have missed this stutter problem in their testing!

Pretty frustrating as all we can do now is sit back and wait for a version. I say we have at least 3 months of stuttering.
North_of_Calgary is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-03-18, 06:05 PM   #150
ltldevl

I know what you mean...I have been a QA analyst for a long time now and if software got by me which had such an obvious problem like that, I would be risking my job. Especially for the number of people which are getting credit back from Bell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.