Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2008-02-14, 02:43 AM   #331
kandkt

Quote:
My issue is that the 9242 is unreliable. Mine had to be rebooted twice tonight alone.
That would drive me crazy as well. I don't know if I just lucked out, but I have never had to reboot mine. Mine has been rock solid as well from day 1 (had the same luck with my 9200 as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-02-14, 07:41 AM   #332
gtpalmer
Rookie

I am beginning to wonder if the shipping via Purolator is the trouble. When they arrive, they are ice cold. I let them warm up before install, but who knows. The Bell Gods are not happy with me!
Old 2008-02-14, 11:59 AM   #333
rockhollow
Rookie

I bought the 9242 in January. After finally figuring how to hook it up(our other unit was a 2700 hooked up to an old tube TV)to the new Sony TV and Home Theatre, we have had no problems with the unit. No re-booting or audio problems. I do notice there is a lag when changing the channels - compared to our old 2700. I hope I do not jinx my unit by saying this!
Old 2008-02-14, 03:10 PM   #334
Machz800
Rookie

Default 9242 owner...

So Rockhollow, are you saying you have your 9242 hooked up the your home theater via HDMI only and then HDMI to you tv? With no dropouts? Do you have HD programming?
Old 2008-02-14, 03:21 PM   #335
Tom.F.1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpalmer View Post
I am beginning to wonder if the shipping via Purolator is the trouble. When they arrive, they are ice cold. I let them warm up before install, but who knows. The Bell Gods are not happy with me!
Tuesday morning was -18 c and yup, the unit was ice cold when i got it. I waited 2 hours before hooking it up and it worked just fine.
So, no, purolator and or being cold isn't the problem.
Old 2008-02-14, 03:24 PM   #336
Tom.F.1
Veteran

Back to my questions from 19 posts ago,

When I first booted it up, it had a Bell logo and it was looking for only 1 sat, 119. Does that mean they test it on an echostar bird, or maybe it was a demo or maybe dish repairs them or what? Anybody really know where re-furbished units come from?

Anybody?
Old 2008-02-14, 03:41 PM   #337
scrooloose
Veteran

No, it means it has the Dish Network software pre-installed (Echostar/Dish builds them). Once it boots and acquires the BEV satellite, it downloads the BEV software.

-Mike
Old 2008-02-14, 04:10 PM   #338
gpchase

Default interesting run-in with BEV today

Last night my wife lost audio on HD channels so today I called BEV for resolution.
The tech people as we all know are not the sharpest tools in the shed.So the first comment that comes out of this guys mouth is it's a problem with my HDMI cable. Can you believe he wants me to connect my 9242 to my $50K ish home theatre sys with RCA cables.....I told him to pound salt and send me a new receiver and asked if a recent s/w download was completed ? While bantering with this greenie I went into the dolby settings and switched from dolby/pcm to pcm only. This fixed the issue ? Why would this happen when all worked fine before on dolby/pcm ? Any ideas?
Old 2008-02-14, 04:18 PM   #339
DrewSat

Default ?

Strange one. Could have been that the Dolby hardware needed to be reset. I bet resetting the receiver would have fixed the issue too.
Old 2008-02-14, 04:26 PM   #340
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
The tech people as we all know are not the sharpest tools in the shed
Hmm.

Quote:
I told him to pound salt and send me a new receiver and asked if a recent s/w download was completed ? While bantering with this greenie I went into the dolby settings and switched from dolby/pcm to pcm only. This fixed the issue ?
So basically you phone up and yell at some tech because the settings on your home theatre are screwed up and then you call it a "run-in" with BEV?

Maybe if you did a bit of checking first, you might not have had a "run-in"?
Old 2008-02-14, 10:33 PM   #341
rockhollow
Rookie

Hey Machz800:

The setup for my system is - HDMI from the 9242 to the Sony TV - Audio from the 9242 to the Home Theatre - COMP VIDEO from the Home Theatre to the TV.
This is the way the fellow from where we bought all (TV, 9242, and Home Theatre) instructed me to hook it all up.
Yes, I have the HD channels and try to watch them as much as possible, the picture quality .is so much better.
We also have a second TV in the kitchen hooked up the 9242, and also have no audio problems, although it is not HD
Old 2008-02-15, 10:12 AM   #342
Machz800
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks Rockhollow, I will try that this weekend.
Old 2008-02-15, 10:16 AM   #343
Machz800
Rookie

Default Sorry one more question..

Sorry Rockhollow, I have one more question...

"Audio from the 9242 to the Home Theatre" - what type of cable are you using here?
Old 2008-02-15, 10:50 AM   #344
rockhollow
Rookie

Smile

The audio cable from the Sony Home Theatre to the 9242 is one that came with the Home Theatre. Just a basic double cable - L & R. Sorry, there might be a formal name for it, but I don't know. It was a real learning curve for me to get all this stuff hooked up and working. I got some great help here on this forum and now am hooked.
Old 2008-02-15, 03:14 PM   #345
Keys1980
Rookie

I just got set-up on the 9242. Put it on my old upstairs 50 inch rear projection Phillips. Runs in 1080i and looks great for an older projection HDTV. I more or less got it so the wife would have a PVR on the TV she watches most.

So far overall I am happy with it. The first time it was hooked up I had issues with the screen locking up. One phone call to TECH support and a reset later and everything has been ok.

Just wondering if screen freeze, lockup or whatever it's called is a rare occurance? Is a reset always what is required?. Also is overheating an issue? (i noticed this thing gives off some heat!) Any tips on keeping this thing alive for a long time? I would really love some owners insight. I would have asked the tech guy more but understanding and hearing him clearly was an issue. Plus I don't know if the screen he reads from would have had the info I wanted

Thanx.

Tags
bell 9242, caller id, mts, problem