Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2008-02-10, 05:34 PM   #316
EDark
Rookie

Default Re: 9242 no signal

Yes, I did that Friday night and it made no difference to the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-02-13, 09:21 AM   #317
Tom.F.1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaman111 View Post
Last night i tried watching a movie I PVR'ed. It played until it was 2/3 done or so and then it just goes back to the menu. It still says there is an hour or so left but it just stops. So i tried fast forwarding through the whole movie and it always stops at the same part. I tried another movie and it worked fine. It seems like there may be a issue with that particuler recording. Does anyone have any ideas??
I had the same issue trying to playback American Gladiators. 3/4 of the way thru it quit. tried eveything to skip to the new part.

As I posted earlier, thats not the only issue. I had been complaining loudly for over a month. Last friday they promised to ship me a replacement on Monday and it would take 3-4 days. It showed up tuesday. Picked it up from Purolator no problem. Thats pretty good service once they finally did decide to replace it.

Anyway, I got it all hooked up and working, authorized with the automated phone in.
Took 2 hours of setting up settings and preferences, adding and naming OTA channels.

Then I recorded and played back a couple shows just to test. It works good so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

When I first booted it up, it had a Bell logo and it was looking for only 1 sat, 119. Does that mean they test it on an echostar bird, or maybe it was a demo or maybe dish repairs them or what? Anybody really know where re-furbished units come from?

Last edited by Tom.F.1; 2008-02-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 2008-02-13, 09:29 AM   #318
Archangel

I'e only ever experienced that issue once. It happened with recording the season finale of The Amazing Race 12. Hopefully it doesn't happen again because it is truly annoying.
Old 2008-02-13, 10:37 AM   #319
Machz800
Rookie

Cool New 9242 PVR

Hello all, newbie here. I just wanted to mention that I am a new owner of the 9242 PVR, since last weekend. I have a Sony 52" LCD, AVR Yamaha RX-V1800, with Def Tech surround...anyhow I have been reading about the audio dropouts and I have the same, HDMI and component hook ups with digital optical audio has audio dropouts. Very annoying especially with all the new equipment I have recently purchased, I am returning my PVR for an exchange, bought it at FS, does anyone have an opinion on that? Will I have the same problems? I currently have it hooked up with the RCA cables for audio, will I get the same surrond sound effect? Let me know your thoughts guys...

Thanks,
Old 2008-02-13, 02:46 PM   #320
gtpalmer
Rookie

I'm on my 4th 9242. Bell has agreed to reverse the purchase and switch to the rental option,(after some fighting). I've given up on the HDMI and switched to component hookups to my TV. Digital optical to my AVR seems to be OK. No audio drops. The 9242 did require 2 reboots the other day after I deleted 20+ hours of HD material. Do not buy this machine! A 2 year rental contract should tide us over until the next generation arrives...
Old 2008-02-13, 03:30 PM   #321
Machz800
Rookie

Question Anybody's working properly

Okay, let me ask this question...does anybody have a 9242 that is connected with HDMI to their AV receiver and is not getting any audio dropouts?
Old 2008-02-13, 03:51 PM   #322
scrooloose
Veteran

I've had my 9242 connected via HDMI to my AVR, and via Digital Audio cable to my old receiver (that didn't have HDMI) and both scenarios have had audio dropouts. However, I was experiencing the audio dropouts with my 9200 previously, so I don't think this is strictly a receiver issue. Replacing the receiver is not likely to change anything.

-Mike
Old 2008-02-13, 07:22 PM   #323
sixer

I'm getting my 9242 this weekend and I'll report back. I've had my 9200 for 2 years with no huge issues.
Old 2008-02-13, 07:41 PM   #324
kandkt

Quote:
Do not buy this machine! A 2 year rental contract should tide us over until the next generation arrives...
I wouldn't go that far. It seems that all the audio dropout problems are HDMI related. Why not just use the optical port for now until the next software release where hopefully the HDMI issue will be resolved? If you rent one for 2 years, that is $480 and you have nothing to show for it???

I have mine connected via HDMI to DVI to my TV and I am using the optical port to my audio receiver. I do not have any issues at all.
Old 2008-02-13, 08:14 PM   #325
x64Man

Quote:
Okay, let me ask this question...does anybody have a 9242 that is connected with HDMI to their AV receiver and is not getting any audio dropouts?
I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and I have only noticed audio dropouts on Showcase HD.
Old 2008-02-13, 08:26 PM   #326
gtpalmer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandkt View Post
I wouldn't go that far. It seems that all the audio dropout problems are HDMI related. Why not just use the optical port for now until the next software release where hopefully the HDMI issue will be resolved? If you rent one for 2 years, that is $480 and you have nothing to show for it???

I have mine connected via HDMI to DVI to my TV and I am using the optical port to my audio receiver. I do not have any issues at all.
Purchasing only gives a year warranty. 4 machines in a month tells me the chances of having "something to show for" are unlikely. I bought my 5900, and it still is going strong, which led me to buying the 9242 without hesitation. I've never been one to rent anything, but recent experience has changed that.
Old 2008-02-13, 09:19 PM   #327
mot_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandkt View Post
It seems that all the audio dropout problems are HDMI related. Why not just use the optical port for now until the next software release where hopefully the HDMI issue will be resolved?
Optical output is also affected by the audio dropouts. You're fortunate if yours is working without any problems.
Old 2008-02-13, 09:44 PM   #328
kandkt

Quote:
Purchasing only gives a year warranty. 4 machines in a month tells me the chances of having "something to show for" are unlikely. I bought my 5900, and it still is going strong, which led me to buying the 9242 without hesitation. I've never been one to rent anything, but recent experience has changed that.
Bought my 9242 at Futureshop for $499 and paid $99 for a 4 year, over the counter extended warranty. I am covered for 4 years if anything goes wrong with the unit. Much better than renting for 4 years at $20/month ($960).
Old 2008-02-13, 10:15 PM   #329
gtpalmer
Rookie

In 2 years, I hope to be able to buy something that actually works. I am aware of the math. I'm happy with my decision, as I am sure you are with yours. Let's leave it at that. My issue is that the 9242 is unreliable. Mine had to be rebooted twice tonight alone.
Old 2008-02-13, 10:59 PM   #330
scrooloose
Veteran

Audio issues aside, my 9242 has been rock solid. I haven't had one crash or reboot since I got it.

-Mike

Tags
bell 9242, caller id, mts, problem